Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 6:40:07 PM EDT
I need to repair a towel rack whose screws are coming out of the wall and I figured I could bind that fucker to the wall .

Will it work is the question......
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It will stick but it might just rip off the paper. You'd probably be safe putting some anchors in the original holes and screw it back.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]
It won't stick to the filler but it will stick to the paper. Get some through to the backside of the hole and it will mushroom out back there.  then it should hold.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Molly screws, all else will fail in a short time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]
In fact I own my own business that performs just such repairs (http://atimetobuild.com).  You are not buying yourself much time like that, in that it will rip off with the paper facing of the drywall, almost inevitably.

Your options are:

Remove towel rack, patch wall, remount towel rack (preferably somewhere else, so that you are not drilling into a compromised part of the wallboard.

If there is room, possibly use butterfly anchors to grip a larger area of the wall (also a buy-time method, but likely to last longer).  

Or, if you really don't want to do a patch and the drywall is already too compromised, you could find a board (maybe a nice looking one off of some other kind of thing, like a tie rack) and anchor/glue it to the wall, and then screw the rack into that.

I would do the first, but of course that requires the most labor.  It is, however, the "right" way.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#5]
For future reference, when hanging things that may bear weight or be somewhat high traffic, these hold up to 80 lbs and are easy to install (no drill required). I have never had one come down (the again, I only use them where appropriate):

(available at Home Depot or Lowe's)

Stud Solver by E Z Ancor

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
It will will for a few days if your careful, Maybe a day if you have kids.

Go to the hardware store and get the proper hardware.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In fact I own my own business that performs just such repairs (http://atimetobuild.com).  You are not buying yourself much time like that, in that it will rip off with the paper facing of the drywall, almost inevitably.

Your options are:

Remove towel rack, patch wall, remount towel rack (preferably somewhere else, so that you are not drilling into a compromised part of the wallboard.

If there is room, possibly use butterfly anchors to grip a larger area of the wall (also a buy-time method, but likely to last longer).  

Or, if you really don't want to do a patch and the drywall is already too compromised, you could find a board (maybe a nice looking one off of some other kind of thing, like a tie rack) and anchor/glue it to the wall, and then screw the rack into that.

I would do the first, but of course that requires the most labor.  It is, however, the "right" way.

This is a towel rack in an apartment I am vacating soon. The problem started shortly after I moved in a year or so ago. It looks like it has happened before because there is a second set of holes above the most recent ones where someone drilled in screws in a different spot and just allowed the base of the towel bar to cover things up. I am simply trying to secure it so that I don't lose my security deposit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#8]
glue it is, then, nvm

ETA: for about the same price as gorilla glue you can get "Power Grab"

You won't have to tape it up and wait for it to dry, it grabs instantly.  Available in a caulk tube at HD.

BTW, don't use gorilla glue- it expands several times its size when it cures, and makes a mess if you don't stay on top of it/have experience with it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Couple cheap sheetrock anchors.  About $2 at Lowes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Glue it then.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]

mighty putty, it can pull a fully loaded tractor trailer

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For future reference, when hanging things that may bear weight or be somewhat high traffic, these hold up to 80 lbs and are easy to install (no drill required).  I have never had one come down (the again, I only use them were appropriate):

Ez Ancor Ez Ancor Stud Solver 20 Pack 25216 by E Z Ancor

http://images.hardwareandtools.com/P/3089745.jpg

This.  I have used these on several occasions.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Goop will work, at least till weight/moisture tears and rips the paper.

You want anchors.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

For future reference, when hanging things that may bear weight or be somewhat high traffic, these hold up to 80 lbs and are easy to install (no drill required).  I have never had one come down (the again, I only use them were appropriate):

Yeah, some shit like that ^

You can trust him, he's a house nerd.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For future reference, when hanging things that may bear weight or be somewhat high traffic, these hold up to 80 lbs and are easy to install (no drill required). I have never had one come down (the again, I only use them were appropriate):

Yeah, some shit like that ^

You can trust him, he's a house nerd.

I don't know everything about everything, but I know a bunch about the Bible, the development of libertarian thought in America, fixing things, Glocks and AR-15s.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Part of what I used to do in construction was make lots of side money fixing things that homeowners didn't take seriously enough to fix (or have fixed) correctly the first time.

Cheap frequently, frequently costs more than right the first time.

How many Blackthornes do you have to buy to equal one Colt?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It will stick but it might just rip off the paper. You'd probably be safe putting some anchors in the original holes and screw it back.

This
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Gorilla Glue.....Yes

Super Glue...No

Gorilla glue will stick wet ice to teflon, but it is brittle and will break after cured a day or so.  It is tough stuff, however.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#19]
PL adhesive is the shit

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Ain't that the truth.  I have stuck a boat load of stuff to many other things over the years with some PL.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For future reference, when hanging things that may bear weight or be somewhat high traffic, these hold up to 80 lbs and are easy to install (no drill required). I have never had one come down (the again, I only use them where appropriate):

Stud Solver by E Z Ancor

As a contractor, I only use these anchors in drywall.  I toss the little push-in ones that come with accessories and install these.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I don't know everything about everything, but I know a bunch about the Bible, the development of libertarian thought in America, fixing things, Glocks and AR-15s.

Yeah well if I get stuck being the computer geek, you get to be the house nerd.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stud Solver by E Z Ancor

As a contractor, I only use these anchors in drywall. I toss the little push-in ones that come with accessories and install these.

The only downside is they leave a bigger hole, but a hole is a hole, so that is not enough of a reason not to use them, considering their benefits.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top