Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2009 5:43:26 PM EDT
I've only seen Man vs. Wild a few, and never really paid much attention.  I was at a friends house last night and watched the "Alabama" episode all the way though.  Talk about some bad advice....I was shocked at some of the things he did, and some of the "tips" he gave.

Here are some of the major screw-ups that really caught my attention.

1.  He's all about eating deer poop, and crickets....but when he found a snapping turtle in a swamp, he never mentioned anything about eating it...he just talked about it's "powerful jaws". and how they would take a finger off...so stay away from them.  Why would you not talk about eating it??....but suggest that deer poop and crickets are great to eat if you need food??

2.  He finds a sink-hole out in the middle of the woods, and suggests that "caves are a great place to find food, and fresh water".  So without a flashlight of any kind.....he lights up a makeshift torch soaked in pig lard, lights it...and heads off into the cave.  Once in the cave, he just kept going deeper and deeper...going down passage ways so tight....he even talking about relaxing your chest so that you don't get stuck in them.  He then goes head first into a passage way...almost gets stuck...then drops down around 10-15 into another chamber of the cave and lands in water...putting out his torch, he only source of light.  So now he's way down in a cave, with no light.   He manages to use his flint to create sparks and light up the way as he goes out.......traversing up a 20foot crevice to find his way out.

What about that was a smart thing to so?   If he didn't have his "Crew" with him....there is no doubt that he would have been screwed down in that cave.  Why would he tell people to go and explore cave systems if you are trying to survive....so you can get your self in an ever worse situation??

Anyone else see that episode??  Am I the only one that things he was completely out of line with some of the things he suggested people do if they are trying to survive??  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discovery and History channels are for entertainment purposes only
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#3]
While watching this, I looked over at my wife and said, "It's a miracle that man has lived this long, because he's an idiot."

We discussed how he'd eat deer crap, but throw a turtle away.  Now I know it was a show, and he was like 50 yards off the highway, but the guy is full of terrible advice.  It is mildly entertaining to watch him eat eyballs and testicles, though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Watch this and then decide if this show is bullshit or not

bullshit
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
His Florida Everglades episode was absolutely LOADED with FAIL.
He is a fucktard.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Well ya see the thing is we have an unusual amount of stupid laying around here.

Mind you most natives are born with an immune system that rejects this stupidity.

Now when a yankee comes down here and gets in a good batch of stupid, well there you go.

God forbid a Canadian or any other non U.S. born person ( such as Obama ) show up, cause they get " ate up " with it, and just kinda wander off.

But yea, that does sound kind of crazy with the cave thing.

Better Paul ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the other one more, not as physically fit, but seems at least a little more realistic.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Man vs Wild = bullshit

Surviroman = badass

/thread
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

bullshit

You didn't really believe it was real....did you?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Man vs Wild = bullshit

Surviroman = badass

/thread

word.  Survivorman is cool.  He actually does research on the area he will be staying in and learns local tips and tricks from natives.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#11]
He is an idiot plain and simple.  If anyone tries his techniques they will probably end up dead.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#12]
The first time I watched it he advocated climbing up a waterfall since nightime was coming and it was quicker than going around. WTF. climbing a waterfall is INCREDIBLY dangerous!!! especially if someone is alone in a survival situation. Someone is going to get themselves killed emulating his stupid ass.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Or deciding to wrestle with a wild pig caught in a snare.  I'd get a big stick and beat it to death while staying just out of range and then have a pig roast.

The guy does half that shit for show.  I can't imagine too many worse ways to die than getting stuck in that hole in the ground and dying of dehydration after a couple of miserable days.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I would watch man vs wild over survivorman any day.  For the last time, the show is meant to be entertaining...  It sure is.  He never claims (that I have seen anyway) that his methods are the best, but just things that you could do. Survivorman on the other hand just bitches the whole time and is really damn annoying.  If you have seen one episode you have seen them all.  I find that show incredibly boring and I still spot plenty of things wrong in that as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Deer shit?

Who the fuck eats deer shit?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#16]
There's a great sig line around here about those two.

Something like: If I were in a situation where I needed to survive, I would choose Les Stroud. If I wanted to win in a bar fight, I would choose Bear Grylls.

Stroud is information, Grylls is entertainment.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I only watch to see Bear hurt himself & eat nasty crap. It's like somebody took Jackass  & combined it with Fear Factor - fun to gawk at...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

bullshit

Good grief.

GR

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I liked the one where he pole vaulted down a mountian side because that was "safer" than walking because fo the loose rock

Another time he ate some dead animal that was supposed to have been killed several days ago, except there was blood on his hands and face after he took several bites
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

bullshit

O.k., beyond the bullshit of being 50 feet off the road, why the hell is he giving a lecture about being careful about the ground and then he fracking jumps on it?  WTF!?!  If you don't know how good your footing is use a damned walking stick, step gingerly, and make sure it's stable before you put your weight on it.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I have seen his show.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#22]
There was a post here or on another forum comparing that idiot to a hyper active kid with attention deficit disorder who was running around in the backyard pretending to be Indiana Jones or some other explorer.

Most spot on assessment of Bear shit I have ever read.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There's a great sig line around here about those two.

Something like: If I were in a situation where I needed to survive, I would choose Les Stroud. If I wanted to win in a bar fight, I would choose Bear Grylls.

Stroud is information, Grylls is entertainment.

Like the episode were Stroud does drugs? Great information.

It's TV ppl, get over it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#24]
It's a TV show. The whole point of it is to watch Grylls eat bugs and be entertained.

Saying its BS because its set up is like asking why the fighting moves you learned watching WWE wrestling didn't help you in a bar fight.

Before the show begins it tells you that situations are presented to him.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#25]
With some of the stupid things he does, it is difficult to imagine that he is a former member of the British Territorial SAS.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Deer shit?  You know, there's a reason why we have a natural revulsion to eating stuff CRAWLING WITH HARMFUL BACTERIA.  I'm sure all the wonderful nutrients in deer shit will do you a lot of good while trying to puke your liver out of your stomach.    

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#29]
its entertainment.  shroud is a fag. bear is a real life badass
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now when a yankee comes down here and gets in a good batch of stupid, well there you go.

Bear Grylls is from Northern Ireland.

His kids names are Jesse, Marmaduke, and Huckleberry - sure sounds like he's from down south though don't it?

Come on dude, it wuz a joke, and no I had no idea where he was from or his kids names. And jusy for you, I'll fix it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#32]
And incidentally I'm pretty sure he didn't kill and eat the turtle because Alabama snapping turtles are a protected species.

Of course such things mean little in a real survival situation but again, it's TV. Producers I'm sure didn't want to even imply that nongame animals should be eaten for any reason.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a TV show. The whole point of it is to watch Grylls eat bugs and be entertained.

Saying its BS because its set up is like asking why the fighting moves you learned watching WWE wrestling didn't help you in a bar fight.

Before the show begins it tells you that situations are presented to him.

And yet, there are people here that believe in both.

WRASSALINS NOT FAKE!!!

Oh... wait... Nevermind...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Bear is an idiot. puts himself and his crew in dangerous and stupid situations where anyone with a little common sense would be like "DUDE!!!!!! are you fucking kidding????".
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#35]
If you don't know what a snapping turtle is then he's right, you shouldn't fuck around with it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#36]
He squeezes the juice out of elephant shit and drinks it.

He drinks his own piss.

He sleeps in hotels when he claims to sleep in the wilderness.

Are you really surprised?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Or deciding to wrestle with a wild pig caught in a snare.  I'd get a big stick and beat it to death while staying just out of range and then have a pig roast.

The guy does half that shit for show.  I can't imagine too many worse ways to die than getting stuck in that hole in the ground and dying of dehydration after a couple of miserable days.

I dunno man, you might turn into a Golem and find a bitchin ring.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Well ya see the thing is we have an unusual amount of stupid laying around here.

Mind you most natives are born with an immune system that rejects this stupidity.

God forbid a Canadian or any other non U.S. born person ( such as Obama ) show up, cause they get " ate up " with it, and just kinda wander off.

Better Paul ?

QFT

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I would watch man vs wild over survivorman any day.  For the last time, the show is meant to be entertaining...  It sure is.  He never claims (that I have seen anyway) that his methods are the best, but just things that you could do. Survivorman on the other hand just bitches the whole time and is really damn annoying.  If you have seen one episode you have seen them all.  I find that show incredibly boring and I still spot plenty of things wrong in that as well.

Also he says he is a climber and loves exploring caves. He shows what you could do, not was is best to do. Starvationman is a pretty boring show to watch.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I enjoy both of the shows and find them both entertaining.

I will say this...

The baddest mo-fo of them all is neither Stroud nor Grylls, it's Grylls' cameraman.

He follows Grylls through all of the dangerous, unnecessary, foolhardy shit that's likely to get your ass killed, all while lugging a big-ass camera and filming the whole time.

I give Stroud credit for filming himself. But he doesn't take the stupid risks that Grylls does, so the Man vs. Wild camera guy has to be one tough SOB.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Meh, I like the show. It's better than 90% of whats on TV.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Bear Gryllis is retired SAS.
The stuff he shows is what to do in an extreme escape and evasion situation.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I go into wilderness areas now I am not without a GPS and a compass and I have left my intended locations with people who didn't go on the trip.
This is the area I intend to be in, If you don't hear from me in X number of days provide the information to the proper authorities and come get my azz.

I'm not moving away from the intended locations for at least three days after my check in date and have enough supplies to last that long.

If I lose my supplies I sure won't be eating deer feces, I plan on eating that turtle!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#43]
"Escape from the Rocky Mtns" episode.

Day one:   clean shaven
Day two:  some growth
Day three:  clean shaven again, must be nice to have a hotel while pretending to be surviving.  

The best part is when the camera crew chases him through the woods pretending to be a bear.   Run for your life, assclown.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#44]
guess that was what he wanted for dinner that day, eh
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#45]

i wonder how sick he gets after he's done filming or if his stomach is just used to drinking water out of elephant shit?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#46]
I like when he was hitting a rattlesnake with a stick.  It is probably not a good idea in a survival situation to hit a venomous snake with a stick unless you absolutely have to.  If you get bit you are going to be in even worse shape than you were to start.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Man vs Wild = bullshit

Surviroman = badass

/thread

This. I agree
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Better Paul ?

hey now !
yankees have woods and like to be out them as well... hell i grew up on a farm in a piss ant yankee redneck town... as far as alabama goes, i moved from MA to decatur,lived there for about a year, and made it.  i just got smart and moved to nc ...  and yes i'm the worst kind of yankee, i married a GA girl, and after 16+ years down here, i am never moving back ...  

as far as man vs wild .... what a joke, he does some stupid crap, gives bad advise, and is lucky to still be living IMHO
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Where the hell can you lost in Alabama?

BTW:  I know the state damn well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've only seen Man vs. Wild a few, and never really paid much attention.  I was at a friends house last night and watched the "Alabama" episode all the way though.  Talk about some bad advice....I was shocked at some of the things he did, and some of the "tips" he gave.

Here are some of the major screw-ups that really caught my attention.

1.  He's all about eating deer poop, and crickets....but when he found a snapping turtle in a swamp, he never mentioned anything about eating it...he just talked about it's "powerful jaws". and how they would take a finger off...so stay away from them.  Why would you not talk about eating it??....but suggest that deer poop and crickets are great to eat if you need food??

2.  He finds a sink-hole out in the middle of the woods, and suggests that "caves are a great place to find food, and fresh water".  So without a flashlight of any kind.....he lights up a makeshift torch soaked in pig lard, lights it...and heads off into the cave.  Once in the cave, he just kept going deeper and deeper...going down passage ways so tight....he even talking about relaxing your chest so that you don't get stuck in them.  He then goes head first into a passage way...almost gets stuck...then drops down around 10-15 into another chamber of the cave and lands in water...putting out his torch, he only source of light.  So now he's way down in a cave, with no light.   He manages to use his flint to create sparks and light up the way as he goes out.......traversing up a 20foot crevice to find his way out.

What about that was a smart thing to so?   If he didn't have his "Crew" with him....there is no doubt that he would have been screwed down in that cave.  Why would he tell people to go and explore cave systems if you are trying to survive....so you can get your self in an ever worse situation??

Anyone else see that episode??  Am I the only one that things he was completely out of line with some of the things he suggested people do if they are trying to survive??  

Do not piss off the Bear...........

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top