Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2009 5:22:56 PM EDT
I had a VERY vivid dream of my father this morning.  I woke up and had to think about it for a second because it was so real.  It was unlike a regular dream in that it felt very vivid and real.  Also, when I woke up, I had to think about it for a minute to decide if he was alive or dead. It was that realistic.   As the day went on, I realized that today was also the anniversary of his death....18 years ago.  It was very strange and it has been screwing with my mind all day.  Has anybody else had such experiences
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes...Grandfather and Grandmother....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. Not to say that I truly believe it was "beyond the grave" stuff. But, yes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes I have dreams where my mother is calling out my name like from another room or something but I never see her.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have these, but never about/from my Father, the one that I would LOVE to have one from..
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#5]
What made this very unusual.  Was the realism of it, and the fact that it occurred on the anniversary of his death.  I hadn't been brooding on the anniversary, in fact, I wasn't even paying attention to what the actual date was.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#6]
My grandfather once after he died, was super real. He was giving me some sort of advice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had a VERY vivid dream of my father this morning.  I woke up and had to think about it for a second because it was so real.  It was unlike a regular dream in that it felt very vivid and real.  Also, when I woke up, I had to think about it for a minute to decide if he was alive or dead. It was that realistic.   As the day went on, I realized that today was also the anniversary of his death....18 years ago.  It was very strange and it has been screwing with my mind all day.  Has anybody else had such experiences

Sooooooooo what did you talk about???
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes I have been visited in my dreams by everybody that I have ever loved that has passed on.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes.
A grandmother, my Father...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#10]
When my grandfather died at 93, I was still a little kid.  Exactly how young, I can't remember, because I kept having dreams that I would sit in his lab and we would talk, just like we did when he was alive.  I can never pinpoint when he died, because I didn't stop sitting in his lap talking to him for a year or two afterward.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Sure, I have dreams about my father every once in a while. He died 2 years ago.

It's kind of funny how the brain works. If you believe Freudian theory, the Ego will only let the Id screw around so much, even in dreams.

In my case, I was dreaming it was the present day, and I was talking to my dad, then in my dream I realized it cannot be him because he's dead, and the dream ended right then.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes - but just a very few times.

And each time I was left with the most peaceful of feelings.

Left my heart smiling for the day.

Note sig line.

My maternal grandparents were the greatest of folks, and I miss them daily.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Many times.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What made this very unusual.  Was the realism of it, and the fact that it occurred on the anniversary of his death.  I hadn't been brooding on the anniversary, in fact, I wasn't even paying attention to what the actual date was.

Dreams are just like static electricity going from one memory synapse to another.  The memories are there in the brain, synapses fire at random, then the brain strings them together in various configurations that make some kind of sense (ie, like a 'plot' to a dream).  

Sometime during the day, you had taken note of the current date.  Your memory of his death anninversary lay dormant in the concious mind, but when asleep, the concious and subconcious comingle.

Perfectly natural occurence, completely healthy and normal.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I often dream about spending time with my father and mother.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sooooooooo what did you talk about???

We didn't speak, and it only lasted a moment.  I was at work and he surprised me by showing up unexpectedly.  When I saw him, it wasn't as if I hadn't seen him in 18 years or that he had been dead.  I was happy to see him and it felt very pleasant, and I just said, "Oh, I didn't know you were coming over today."  And he just smiled at me and said nothing, but it was a very nice smile.  That was it.  Then I woke up.
It was very profound.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Know the feeling.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#18]
talk to my Father all the time
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Nope

I do, however, get visited by zombies, space aliens, loose women, and all manner of oddities on a nightly basis.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Often.

In specific, my grandma and uncle who was like a father to me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, my father.

Roy
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Not a relative but a good friend shortly after his death. He said " Don't feel bad about me, I'm in a better place now" then he laughed and said " I''ll see you again someday". It was weird, it was like I was speaking to him face to face in real life. I woke up immediately afterward and was like WTF? I never did tell any of my other friends about it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Nope just pets.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, both Mom and Dad.

It's unnerving.

LC
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Had a good friend die in a rock climbing fall. Had a dream he came to see me and let me know that he was OK and everything is going to be fine.
I woke up and had to go to my living room, where the conversation took place in the dream, and make sure he wasn't still there.
I swear that conversation happened.
The mind is a scary thing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes.  My mom visits me a lot in my sleep.  I wish we had talked more when she was alive.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Not in a dream but sitting next to my bed, it is what convinced me to check into the hospital.  I didn't realize at the time that I was very close to dieing from Multiple Myeloma, I was feeling horrible with a fractured back and had just woke up from a nap.  I turned my head and saw my Grandmother who has been dead since Dec 1977, I blinked my eyes and she was gone.  Since people normally only see dead relatives when on their death beds, I had my wife drive me to the hospital and good thing as I was in horrible shape.   I told my mother how my Grandmother looked and she turned white, I had never seen my Grandmother with her hair like what I saw, my Mom said she only wore it that way when my Mom was child.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes.  Grandfather, Grandmother.  Uncle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I had a very similar experience.  The dream I had about my father was like no other dream I ever had before or since.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#30]
My stepdad has been showing up in my dreams lately.  I'm glad because I miss him.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes, my grandfather has shown up in my dreams before and talked to me.

Kinda odd now that you mention it, tomorrow is the anniversary of my father's death 11 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes, both Mom and Dad.  I dont know if its because they are visiting me, or because I hold such vivid memories of them that they are 'alive' in my mind, but every time I dream of one or both of them I wake up feeling very calm and happy for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I've talked with my granpa and a good friend a lot in dreams lately. Not sure what it means though
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes . My grandmother a few years after she died , it was weird because I knew she was dead but I was not afraid of her . That was 30 years ago , I would like a chance to talk to her again .

SW
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a VERY vivid dream (more of a nightmare really) with my father in it a couple of weeks ago.

The strangest part was that my father was the same age he was when he died (39) and I was my current adult self...

When I realized that I was actually older than my father, I bounced out of bed like someone stuck me with a pin.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#36]
No, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I have had dreams with my grand parents, on my mothers side, and my great grand parents on my mothers side. Never any with my step dads parents, or my biological fathers parents. I wouldn't call them visits, even though they were vivid and special dreams, just good dreams.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Nope, at 6 years old my grandmother appeared to me a week after she died and i was still awake to tell me she was alright and was fine in another place.

That must've surprised her since she was Jehovah's Witness and thought dead was dead until judgement day.

Probably why i'm not afraid to die, i had witness there is more to us after we leave this dirt orb!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#40]
My mom was vividly in a dream one night, about a year after she died.

My dad had started dating a woman who he really liked, and us kids were in a bit of a fit because we "thought it was too early".

Anyway, in the dream, I walk into a room where my mom was laying in a bed. She bolted upright, looked at me and said, "Your father is happy, be happy for him! Things will be alright. I love you =)"

That's all I remember of that dream /

At any rate, 15 years later, yeah things are alright. Dad married her and she is good for him.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Has anybody else had such experiences
Yes.

There's more to this existence than meets the eye. It doesn't end with death.

I'd like to share my experiences, but it ain't gonna happen here

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This...

ETA: Damn, double tap
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Come to think of it, my mother said one time she came to see her the same night and was wearing the same dress i described her in.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#45]
It's not unusual for people who have passed on to visit with loved ones in the dream state.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dreams are just like static electricity going from one memory synapse to another.  The memories are there in the brain, synapses fire at random, then the brain strings them together in various configurations that make some kind of sense (ie, like a 'plot' to a dream).  

Sometime during the day, you had taken note of the current date.  Your memory of his death anninversary lay dormant in the concious mind, but when asleep, the concious and subconcious comingle.

Perfectly natural occurence, completely healthy and normal.

I once went on the Atkins Diet.
During the time I was on the diet I had dreams every night that were so vivid that it was hard to believe they wern't real. They were regular dreams, all kinds of subjects, but they were so realistic it was incredible. When I woke up I could remember it and at times I had to remind myself that they wern't real. The dreams were so good that I actually thought about eating like that just for the dreams.

No, I have never had any dreams (that I can remember) involving dead relatives. I have had thoughts, while awake of events that were about to happen and they right on the money. I have recently read some books that explain how this all works that I found very interesting. Nothing super-natural or anything. Your mind is able to figure these things out based on previous experiences, even though you are not consciously aware of it. An example is that I was driving home and knew my dog had died while I was at work. When I got home, he was dead.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes, grandparents.  

I also "feel" that a deceased relative (or perhaps relatives) is/are with me in spirit quite often.  It is usually a comforting feeling, though not always.  I interpret the less positive feelings as a warning to be careful.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#48]
A guy I work with and his wife were asleep one night with his infant son in his crib in their bedroom.  He said someone shoved him and called him by his real name, and he recognized the voice as his mom when he woke up, who had been dead for years.  He checked on his son and he was lying in the crib on his back choking.  He's convinced his mother woke him up to help his son.  Makes me wonder sometimes if the only way loved ones can communicate with you is in your sleep.

In my own experiences, my sister who passed away has talked to me in a dream, but I was kind of afraid of her since I realized in the dream that she was dead.  It upset me sort of and it has never happened again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I still have dreams about my dead parents and my dead uncle, although I haven't noticed any correlation between dates.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Laying in a hospital bed on 12-31-08 at 6am getting prepped for knee surgery.  Wife was standing beside the bed talking with me.  Note they had not administered any drugs yet.  Anyway, my FIL passed earlier in the year, 7-13-08 of bladder cancer.  Talked to hiim everyday for the past 18 yrs, literly.

I felt something tug at my toe, looked at the end of the bed, and he was standing there plain as day in the shorts and street rod t-shirt he had been buried in.  He smiled, gave me the thumbs up and disappeared.  Wife said she didn't she him.

I hope he comes back more often.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top