Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 3:51:35 PM EDT
Ok ARFCOM lawyers, I need some help.

A lady at my wifes work, her son owns a race car, IN HIS NAME AND HIS FATHERS NAME, it is stored on his parents property. They put 100% of the money into the car, and have advertising logos on it for THE FAMILY BUSINESS.

There was a falling out between father/son, SON wants racecar so he can sell it and move out blah blah.

My wife seems to think "because the family put 100% of the money into the racecar, and use it for business, a court would award it to them, not the son"

WHAT SAY YOU ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Whose name is the title in?

They're probably writing it off as "advertising".

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Who's name is actually on the title as the primary owner? If both actually own it then both would get 1/2 it's worth.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Who's name is actually on the title as the primary owner? If both actually own it then both would get 1/2 it's worth.

+1
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife says it is Titled with BOTH the SON and HIS FATHERS name on title.

I figured he could get the court to let him sell it and divide proceeds.

Wife seems to think the lady she works with + the husband own the car 100% b/c they use it for their business.

I think thats bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

WHAT SAY YOU ARFCOM?

Suggest to your wife that she mind her own business and don't go borrowing trouble.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHAT SAY YOU ARFCOM?

Suggest to your wife that she mind her own business and don't go borrowing trouble.

Sage advice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHAT SAY YOU ARFCOM?

Well that would be a nice option if my wife wasn't the HR manager and having to decide if this little legal spat is OKAY for time off that the woman is requesting. Lady has over drawn time off, and says this legal spat is the reason.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#8]
if both are on the title both own it.

I can pay for a brand new car, but I put your name on the title, then I have no legal claim to it despite having paid for it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if both are on the title both own it.

I can pay for a brand new car, but I put your name on the title, then I have no legal claim to it despite having paid for it.

Thats what I was thinking.

I guess kid can ask the court for permission to sell it and divide proceeds with his father?

Bottom line is, I knew my wife was full of shit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top