Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 3:47:20 PM EDT
Anyone have any suggestions? Is it worth it to buy brand name, or should i save the money and buy "compatible" ink cartridges?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Compatible should work fine. Probably won't notice a difference.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't do those Walgreens refills.  A lot of times they won't work.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
www.clickinks.com has really cheap printer ink...im getting 10 cartridges for $28 with the coupon code "foundclickinks". sounds too good to be true.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I've tried the OfficeMax refills a couple times.  Bleh!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]
i got a 2 hp ink cartridges from ebay for about $10.  The quality isn't great, but it was still worth it
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
double tap
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wanna know why? Here's the dumbed down version.

On many ink cartridges there is a computer chip that the ink actually flows through. There are small holes in the chip surrounded by heaters (it's called the heater chip) and when it's time to print the heaters turn on and allow the ink to flow through the holes. Some companies have these chips designed with a fuse that will blow when the cartridge runs out of ink, so even when you refill it the cartridge itself no longer functions.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I just switched to a Kodak printer for the cheap ink refills. Great printer and the ink prices are guaranteed.
Never had good luck with cheap refills.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I buy the cheapest I can find on Ebay. Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On many ink cartridges there is a computer chip that the ink actually flows through. There are small holes in the chip surrounded by heaters (it's called the heater chip) and when it's time to print the heaters turn on and allow the ink to flow through the holes. Some companies have these chips designed with a fuse that will blow when the cartridge runs out of ink, so even when you refill it the cartridge itself no longer functions.

i learn something every day from this website
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Inkstop works great for regular inks, at half price, sometimes less.  I have one of those funky HPs that takes 9 million different cartridges though, and the guy from Inkstop actually told me to use the OEM ones for the photo-specific cartridges, as they will work better.  The "everyday" printing ones are indistinguishable though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have an HP printer and have been getting the cartridges filled at Walgreens for over a year with no problems at all.

AB
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#13]
my dad has been using the walgreens refills for his HP 882C (not sure but I think its at least 7-8 years old).  They are no better or worse than
other refills he's tried, but they DO work.  Those cartridges are easy to refill (at least the black ink is).
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have an HP printer and have been getting the cartridges filled at Walgreens for over a year with no problems at all.

AB

Obviously your cartridge doesn't apply. I know for a fact that one company does this with all of their cartridges this way.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I buy the cheapest I can find on Ebay. Never had a problem.

Same here.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#17]
My first job after college was at a service bureau where the owner was the cheapest bastard on the planet.  Our large-format plotter used ink that was in mylar bags with a long piece of tubing running to the print heads.  The ink was so cheap that if often failed to flow properly.  One of our techs was on the phone with the ink company trying to troubleshoot the problem.

The tech support guy told him to squeeze the ink bag to get the ink flowing.  Courtland (our employee) squeezed the bag...  and the seams failed.

He spent the next two weeks with his arms dyed cyan from the elbows down.  He also had to listen to countless jokes about jerking off Smurfs.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I also get ink for my printer from ebay sellers, works good for me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I did it once and won't do it again. Bought an office depot brand for my laser printer and lets just say I now spend the extra 20 for the HP one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anyone have any suggestions? Is it worth it to buy brand name, or should i save the money and buy "compatible" ink cartridges?

Neither is worth it.

Throw your inkjet printer in the trash and buy a HP laser printer from New Egg.

Inkjets are the Fiats of the printer world.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither is worth it.

Throw your inkjet printer in the trash and buy a HP laser printer from New Egg.

Inkjets are the Fiats of the printer world.

This is the best suggestion. Laser printers are the shit and you don't have to sit there and wait for the page to slowly come out. If you print much at all then laser is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Off brand printer cartridges do not work in my HP work printer, only the real deal.

I don't pay for them, so it makes no difference to me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Get a laser printer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:52:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have an Epson large format photo inkjet printer.  It prints absolutely beautiful 13x19 high resolution images.  The ink cartridges are pricey so I thought I would try some off brand cheaper cartridges - bottom line - if you want to print a 4 color bar chart they are maybe OK.  If you want to print a high resolution photo - the are ABSOLUTE CRAP!!!  ARGH!!!! Did I mention they are horrible???  They are absolutey horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top