Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 3:17:53 PM EDT
This afternoon I had to help out with a man who hit the breaks too hard on his scooter and went over the handlebars.  Happened in front of the police station in Pleasant Grove, UT.  Man came up on stopped traffic a little too fast wiped out.  If he'd had his helmet on he'd have walked away with little more than some scrapes and cuts on one arm.

Instead, because he wasn't wearing his helmet he smacked his head and jaw on the asphalt and ended up with a concussion.  He'd try to get up, black out, and fall down and hit his head again.  Kept losing consciousness.  So another witness and I lifted him carefully and set him on the lawn to the side of the road, and had him roll onto his side (he was feeling nauseated).

Fortunately the police, fire dept., and Ambulance were all on scene in under 4 minutes.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting any laws mandating helmets.  Just encouraging any of you who use motorcycles, scooters, or even bicycles, to please use your helmets.  This man was lucky that it wasn't worse and will hopefully recover OK, but still I worry he could have lingering effects from the obvious concussion.  I'd hate for any of you to take a hit to the head like that.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If it only turns out to be a concussion and it's his first then odds are he'll be ok. It's the multiple concussions that start causing problems. I have problems with bright lights or really bright sunny days since my last one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I passed out on a hot day while riding my old bmx bike. I f-ed up my jaw pretty bad and it still pops to this day
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This afternoon I had to help out with a man who hit the breaks too hard on his scooter and went over the handlebars.  Happened in front of the police station in Pleasant Grove, UT.  Man came up on stopped traffic a little too fast wiped out.  If he'd had his helmet on he'd have walked away with little more than some scrapes and cuts on one arm.

Instead, because he wasn't wearing his helmet he smacked his head and jaw on the asphalt and ended up with a concussion.  He'd try to get up, black out, and fall down and hit his head again.  Kept losing consciousness.  So another witness and I lifted him carefully and set him on the lawn to the side of the road, and had him roll onto his side (he was feeling nauseated).

Fortunately the police, fire dept., and Ambulance were all on scene in under 4 minutes.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting any laws mandating helmets.  Just encouraging any of you who use motorcycles, scooters, or even bicycles, to please use your helmets.  This man was lucky that it wasn't worse and will hopefully recover OK, but still I worry he could have lingering effects from the obvious concussion.  I'd hate for any of you to take a hit to the head like that.

I'm with you.

I vehemently oppose helmet laws, and always wear mine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not necessarily in favor of helmet laws either. However, I think it's generally not too smart to skip it.

Our hospital does the highest volume of organ donations each year for the Pacific Northwest Transplant Bank. Boise beats out Portland & Seattle, and possibly part of northern California. Lack of helmet usage is a big part of that.

Road rash heals, and broken bones can be fixed. Squash the grape, and you may be getting paint by numbers books for the remainder of your birthdays if you survive.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#5]
people who are not smart enough to wear a helmet don't have much risk for brain damage anyway.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not necessarily in favor of helmet laws either. However, I think it's generally not too smart to skip it.

Our hospital does the highest volume of organ dinations each year for the Pacific Northwest Transplant Bank. Boise beats out Portland & Seattle, and possibly part of northern California. Lack of helmet usage is a big part of that.

Road rash heals, and broken bones can be fixed. Squash the grape, and you may be getting paint by numbers books for the remainder of your birthdays if you survive.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

'zactly.

I also think if you elect not to wear a helmet, you need to shoulder the risk for that behavior... and that means all of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top