Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 2:47:40 PM EDT
For a while I thought a weak hand operated charging handle would be better for clearing jams, since your strong hand would never have to leave the pistol grip.

After doing some research and talking to people, it sounds like the preferred method is the opposite.

It makes sense, leaving your weak hand on the handguard would make it easier to stay on target should you ever have to grab the CH with your strong hand.

So what would you prefer, explain why please.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
HK on weak side forward, HK>everything, hence weak side is better because you suck, and they hate you.

Or something.

At least Stoner tried to make it ambidextrous, even if it doesn't work so hot with optics and the modern rail.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I  swing three  ways. Specialization is for insects. BSW

Strong hand CH.

Left side CH.

Top CH.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]
If your strong hand EVER leaves the grip, you're doing it wrong. This is why the a Gen2 tac-latch and a B.A.D. lever is my next purchase.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
HK on weak side forward, HK>everything, hence weak side is better because you suck, and they hate you.

Or something.

At least Stoner tried to make it ambidextrous, even if it doesn't work so hot with optics and the modern rail.

I prefer it ambi style, cause that's what I'm used to and I don't run glass or any optics that interfere with it.

I was just curious, since I hear different pros and cons of each.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
IMHO the left side charging handle on the XCR is far better than the right side charging handle on the Sig 556.  Do you operate the charging handle on your AR with your right or left hand?  How about your handgun?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
IMHO the left side charging handle on the XCR is far better than the right side charging handle on the Sig 556.  Do you operate the charging handle on your AR with your right or left hand?  How about your handgun?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Very good point.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#8]
as a lefty, i prefer as many ambi features as possible.  too bad not many guns have a forward or straight down ejection.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Support side, non-reciprocating.  No weapon to date is better designed then Stoner's AR15
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
as a lefty, i prefer as many ambi features as possible.  too bad not many guns have a forward or straight down ejection.

Stag makes a lefty for you folk!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is nice of them.  Because in the past left handers were burnt at the stake
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Support side, non-reciprocating.  No weapon to date is better designed then Stoner's AR15

I agree, but I'm not asking about AR-15's specifically.

Both the SCAR and ACR have side chargers, and I'm a righty so that means charging with my strong hand unless I rotate the rifle 90 degrees.

Which I guess would work, but seems awkward.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both the SCAR and ACR have side chargers, and I'm a righty so that means charging with my strong hand unless I rotate the rifle 90 degrees.

Same manual of arms as the AK.  Roll the weapon to the right (ejection port facing down), reach under with suport hand and rack.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same manual of arms as the AK.  Roll the weapon to the right (ejection port facing down), reach under with suport hand and rack.

That sounds weird to me, I'd have to see that.

I don't own any AK's so I'm having trouble visualizing how that would be better than just grabbing the CH with my right hand.

ETA: Speellling
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't own any AK's so I'm having trouble visualizing how that would be better than just grabbing the CH with my right hand.

It's arguable that the roll over is better.

I run the  AK like the M14: right hand reloads, manipulates the CH, and controls the safety.

Different weapons have different manuals of arms. You don't run a Glock like a 1911. Don't try to run an AK like an AR.

BSW

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run the  AK like the M14: right hand reloads, manipulates the CH, and controls the safety.

Different weapons have different manuals of arms. You don't run a Glock like a 1911. Don't try to run an AK like an AR.

BSW

Gotcha, good way to explain it.

I don't think I'll ever mess with a side charging AR, but I am interested in some of the newer side charging rifles.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I really doesn't make that much difference truth be told. If it is on your strong side just reach under the rifle, in between the magazine and your strong hand grip, with your off-hand and manipulate the handle that way. If it is on your weak side just reach up and operate the handle. There is not a whole lot of difference in time or efficiency, it boils down to what you know and train with.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For a while I thought a weak hand operated charging handle would be better for clearing jams, since your strong hand would never have to leave the pistol grip.

After doing some research and talking to people, it sounds like the preferred method is the opposite.

It makes sense, leaving your weak hand on the handguard would make it easier to stay on target should you ever have to grab the CH with your strong hand.

Not sure. I have an AK, and I always thought the charging handle on the left would be better. It would be easier to see a jam to.

After messing around with it, it seems like using my right (strong) hand would be more natural.

Or it can be both, like the G-36. I think this is the way it should be. This way everyone is happy.

Of course, I would prefer an AR-15 style bolt release (or w/e it is called) button, which would cover reloading.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BSW

You can run an AK very efficiently with your support hand and leaving your firing hand on the grip.  The only hard part is the safety so just leave it off.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm accustomed to strong-hand and I'm a creature of habit. This is due to the way we have John Moses Browning's large machinegun configured and FN's products. Though with M16s, M4s, and AR-15s I used my left hand on the charging handle. If it's a MG, it should be strong side though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Weakhand..

HOWEVER, there is a method to charging the AK very quickly while using your left (weak) hand and not taking your muzzle off the threat.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

too many parts are not interchangeable - i don't want to be dependent on one company for spare AR parts
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Weakhand..

HOWEVER, there is a way to charge the AK very quickly while using your left hand and not taking your muzzle off the threat.

I roll my AK  counterclockwise so I can charge it with me left hand. It is not meant to be fast, its meant to be easy, that leads to be smooth, and that leads to be fast.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I always operate the CH on my AR's with my weak (left) hand.  It's one of the reasons I don't like AK's, and I still end up doing the reach-over to charge it.

I prefer to leave my trigger hand on the grip whenever possible.  The only things I use my trigger hand for is the safety, trigger, and magazine release.

I would say I am in favor of L side for R hand shooters, and vice-versa.  Ambidextrous is nice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Weakhand..

HOWEVER, there is a way to charge the AK very quickly while using your left hand and not taking your muzzle off the threat.

I roll my AK  counterclockwise so I can charge it with me left hand. It is not meant to be fast, its meant to be easy, that leads to be smooth, and that leads to be fast.

I just keep the rifle shouldered still pointing at the target with my right hand firmly holding the pistol grip and pushing it hard against my shoulder, while my left hand goes underneath, between the magazine and pistol grip and use the left index finger to charge it back.

It's very fast and smooth.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Strong hand is strong shoulder.  Regardless of trying to keep your weak hand on the guard to keep aim, aim will shift if your strong hand moves out of position to work the CH, because your shoulder/chest will move...  and the stock could slide and mess up your cheek weld.

If your worry is about speed, definitely weak hand for operating the CH.

My opinion.  The weak hand is the free hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top