Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 2:22:12 PM EDT
Source: Washington Post

An NBA star and former area high school player was pulled over and arrested in Prince George's County on Thursday night after a police officer found he was carrying three loaded guns, authorities said.

Delonte West, a guard for the Cleveland Cavaliers, was driving a three-wheeled motorcycle north on Interstate 95 near Route 214 in the Largo area when he cut off a Prince George's County police officer, authorities said. The officer pulled him over, and West told the officer that he was carrying a handgun in his waistband.

That prompted the officer to call for backup, and investigators found that West was actually carrying three guns: a Beretta 9mm in his waistband, a Ruger .357 strapped to his leg and a shotgun in a guitar case slung over his back, said Maj. Andy Ellis, a spokesman for the Prince George's County Police Department.

West, who is 26 and lives in Brandywine, was arrested and charged with speeding and two counts of carrying a handgun, Ellis said. He was released today on personal recognizance, according to Ellis and online court records.

Ellis said it was unclear where West was going and why he was armed.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#1]
He was just going to the range.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
He was going to a tea party
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Too bad they don't mention the make of the shotgun. I'm impressed that they specifically mentioned Beretta and Ruger.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Sucks to be him...though his NBA money/status will most likely result with a slap on the wrist and confiscation of guns.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If not true thats one hell of a excuse. its actually more believable than illegal carry since he had a long gun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Other then a traffic violation, I fail to see the issue............

They would absolutely shit if the pulled me over.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#7]
What's his ARFcom screen name?

Shit, I know people around here that carry more than that ALL THE TIME.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If not true thats one hell of a excuse. its actually more believable than illegal carry since he had a long gun.

Still illegal in Maryland, though. Transporting loaded firearms (and even loaded magazines, I think) is illegal in MD.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is PG county one of the biggest shitholes in md. A pellet gun would have resulted in the same result there. He should be glad the cop didn't pop a cap in his ass.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Maryland firearm transport laws are absolute bullcrap.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I dont see a problem either.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still illegal in Maryland, though. Transporting loaded firearms (and even loaded magazines, I think) is illegal in MD.

And he should have known better than to try and get away with it in PG county.  The police there are strict and it doesn't really seem to matter weather or not you actually committed a crime.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Fuck Maryland
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Seemed obvious to me.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#16]
speeding, knuckleheads are their own worst emenies
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
and West told the officer that he was carrying a handgun in his waistband.

I bet he thought the officer would cut him some slack because he was being so honest.

Not digging on the officer, just on the volunteering of information that would get him charged.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ahh maybe because he's a mutil-millionaire and doesn't want to be defenseless.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#19]
shotgun in a guitar case slung over his back

El Mariachi?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Fuck Maryland

+1, commies
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#21]
He obviously wasn't intending on breaking any laws if he told the officer he had a gun. I know people who have their guns and NFAs with them almost everyday, I don't understand the point of this...is it illegal to conceal carry in Maryland?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fuck Maryland

Especially Prince Georges County. That Police force needs and enema.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He obviously wasn't intending on breaking any laws if he told the officer he had a gun. I know people who have their guns and NFAs with them almost everyday, I don't understand the point of this...is it illegal to conceal carry in Maryland?

If he didnt have a permit it is
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

EVERYTHING is illegal in MD.

(damn shame, because most of the state is decent, except for the 'Detroit on the Chesapeake'
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Don't you understand?  He was guilty of the crime of keeping and bearing arms!  (Although I'm not sure how he carried the guitar/gun case strapped to his back while he was driving.)

I typically have five or six guns in the car at any time.  If I'm going to the range, then get out a calculator.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
and West told the officer that he was carrying a handgun in his waistband.

I bet he thought the officer would cut him some slack because he was being so honest.

Not digging on the officer, just on the volunteering of information that would get him charged.

Yep.  Don't volunteer information.  You have the right to remain silent, so –– remain silent.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Fucking pathetic.

"Shall not be infringed" WTF is so hard to understand about that?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

a shotgun in a guitar case slung over his back

Did he just start a thread about that like on friday??

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fuck Maryland

This

I was there over the summer and was shocked to see unmarked and completely "normal" looking cars doing traffic enforcement and traffic cameras at intersections. Thankfully we don't have that sort of thing around here, yet. And of course the transportation laws suck.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Wait so what's the crime?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Source: Washington Post

An NBA star and former area high school player was pulled over and arrested in Prince George's County on Thursday night after a police officer found he was carrying three loaded guns, authorities said.

Delonte West, a guard for the Cleveland Cavaliers, was driving a three-wheeled motorcycle north on Interstate 95 near Route 214 in the Largo area when he cut off a Prince George's County police officer, authorities said. The officer pulled him over, and West told the officer that he was carrying a handgun in his waistband.

That prompted the officer to call for backup, and investigators found that West was actually carrying three guns: a Beretta 9mm in his waistband, a Ruger .357 strapped to his leg and a shotgun in a guitar case slung over his back, said Maj. Andy Ellis, a spokesman for the Prince George's County Police Department.

West, who is 26 and lives in Brandywine, was arrested and charged with speeding and two counts of carrying a handgun, Ellis said. He was released today on personal recognizance, according to Ellis and online court records.

I like this guy already...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#32]
how else would you carry a gun on a motorcycle, sounds legit to me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top