Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 12:56:33 PM EDT
I own maybe 10 DVDs at most.  I just don't see the need or purpose in buying them.  I watch a movie once maybe twice then I'm good.  If I want to see it again I just get it from NetFlix.  The only exception to this is kid's movies.  We own about 30 or so between DVD and VCR tapes.  Poll inboud
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I am an erstwhile media junkie, so I have a small library of movies and TV shows.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I netflix em and if i want em I keep em and pay the 8-10 bucks they charge for a damaged disc - $20 cheaper than the store
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am an erstwhile media junkie, so I have a small library of movies and TV shows.

Here here, old chap!

Yeah, I have a few.  All my new purchases are on BluRay
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Own 100+ Dvds, only buy the ones i really like. Other than that you can find anything on the internet these days
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I only have TV shows on DVD
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I never rent movies.  I buy them cheap on DVD or, if I know they're going to be good, I buy them on Blu-Ray.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, but always on sale if possible.  I rarely buy new movies the week they come out, I wait 6 months or whenever until they're cheap again.  For some tv series seasons, I buy the week they come out which is usually when they're on sale too, e.g. I bought all the BattleStar Galactica's as soon as they realeased.

I read Best Buy's Sunday's ad to search for bargains as well
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't get people who only watch a movie once or twice...  I know someone who will only watch a movie once a year... and a tv show once every 2 years.
If it's good it's good and can be watched up to twice a week.

If it's just ok... once a week.

If it's a "you gotta be in the right mood for it" thing then once a month.
If you aren't willing to watch it at least once a month then you don't really like it.
ETA: I buy Blue-rays.  They are a bit more expensive so my purchases have grown less frequent and my back log of good movies that I want to buy is growing larger.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I confess.  I pad the pockets of Hollywood by buying movies that I like.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I buy used DVD's at the Pawn shop for $2. It's cheaper than renting and I get to keep it forever.

I got the Firefly dvd set for $7.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#12]
last count was over 500 DVD's
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to buy tons of DVD's but then I realized I never had any time to watch them. Now I haven't bought one in 6 months. (I don't rent either. I mostly see new movies the week they open in the theatre.)
If I want to see a movie again, I will just set up my DVR to record it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#15]
150+ Blu rays.

If I want to watch a movie, I want to watch it right the fuck now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, but blu only. I stopped buying dvd once BD came out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#17]
No.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I think the wife has gotten a few blue rays but I'm having trouble finding something that makes them especially appealing as they're significantly more expensive.

Nearly bought the Star Trek (TV series) ones but heard they had audio issues in some cases so put that off.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
150+ Blu rays.

If I want to watch a movie, I want to watch it right the fuck now.

+1

And BluRay looks too damn good not to buy it.  It's worth the extra $5, if it's even that.  Normally I can find BluRay new releases on sale for the same cost as the new release DVD.

Why not?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

and then I pay extra for Blue Ray.....c'mon Transformers 2

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#22]
We have a blockbuster online thing, so we rarely purchase movies. We have 2-3 Disney Blu-ray, but it's well worth the price. Wall*e in Blu-Ray is a great experience.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, looking forward to that and Terminator Salvation in Blu Ray!

Going to rent Wolverine tonight. Oh boy do I hope that doesn't suck...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me know how it is!  I wanted to catch it in theaters but didn't get the chance to.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#28]
No, but I use Netflix like crazy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw it in the theater and really enjoyed it, FWIW.

I am very trepidatious about it. Wolverine was my favorite comic character of all time, but I hated the "origins" story they did. "James Howlett"? WHAT THE CRAP. That was awful.

If they followed the origins story closely I will likely not really enjoy the movie. They gave too much away with the comic series. Stuff that should never have been made up for the character. I enjoyed the way Jackman played Wolverine in the X Men movies, though, so I am holding out hope.

Oh, if you guys have Blockbuster memberships, they are starting to sell their used Blu Rays also. I picked a couple of them up. IIRC they're 2 for $20. Not bad.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And if you really like the movie, there are the Special Edition or Director's Cut versions that come out 6 months to a year later.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes.  Used DVDs are way cheaper than "dinner and movie" on the outside.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Oh, if you guys have Blockbuster memberships, they are starting to sell their used Blu Rays also. I picked a couple of them up. IIRC they're 2 for $20. Not bad.

Is that instore or for BB online members? Haven't set foot in a blockbuster in a good 4 or 5 years but still have a member card, I hear they're closing 1000 stores so I'd been planning on checking for any deals soon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that instore or for BB online members? Haven't set foot in a blockbuster in a good 4 or 5 years but still have a member card, I hear they're closing 1000 stores so I'd been planning on checking for any deals soon.

I found new Blu-Ray copies of both Robocop and Lord Of War for $10 apiece at the local wally world.

Murphy getting his ass shot off in 1080p is incredibly graphic, I can see why they left some of it out of the theatrical release.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Lots of DVD's … fuck Sony.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a blockbuster online thing, so we rarely purchase movies. We have 2-3 Disney Blu-ray, but it's well worth the price. Wall*e in Blu-Ray is a great experience.

You probably already know this, but the Disney Movie Club has special pricing now for new releases where you get the Blu-Ray DVD, a std. DVD, and a digital download for one pkg. price.

I did not know that.
Kudos on the info, I'll be sure to check it out. The family is eagerly awaiting the release of Up, and the Toy Story series.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#36]

It's cheaper to buy the DVD/Blu-ray than it is to go to the theater any more.  After two tickets, coke, popcorn and ice cream I'm looking at $40-50 for a trip to the theater.  Even new the disk is $10-20 less than that trip and I can watch in the comfort of my home on the 50" plasma.  I figure that if I don't like the movie then I have another coaster.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a couple Blu Rays, but a large collection of DVDs.  I don't feel like restarting my collection, at least not until the price starts to come down.  Honestly there is a difference between BR and DVD but not as big of difference between VHS and DVD so I will hold off for now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes, if I like it, I'll pick it up used at the video store, or the second hand store.

If I really like it, I'll buy it where ever I can get the best deal.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a collection of all my favorite movies, if the cable goes out, I can still watch a good movie

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In store. I don't know if you have to be a member or not. They tend to have so many though, that I'd be surprised if they gave a non-member grief for coming for the deals!

OH and 2 updates:

1: I can't wait for Blu Ray to be adopted as the standard. All 8 BR discs of "Wolverine" were gone when I got there. My PS3 upscales very well, but it's just not the clarity that is 1080p.

2: The used Blu Ray discs are 2/$25, not 2/$20 like I posted before. My bad.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Wolverine Origins: UGH

I feel like I was punched in the soul. I didn't feel this bad when the Star Wars prequels came out, or when Indiana Jones survived an atomic blast by getting into a refrigerator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top