Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/18/2009 12:34:56 PM EDT
I have noticed that when I make eye contact first with someone (male or female) they always look away before I do. I just looked this up and it seems that males break eye contact when being submissive, and femals break a gaze when intimidated or excited by a male. I've been told that I am very persuasive and confident, but I've never made a conscious effort to achieve that. So I guess it's just part of my personality.

So this spurred me to ask, when do you make/break eye contact? Do you make any eye contact at all?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I never stop.

I just stare at everyone like a goon until they walk away.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually stare until the person becomes extremely uncomfortable at which point I break out my dong and start throwing a jerk session.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't worry about it.    

-X
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#4]
...when he winks
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Most women never get a good look at my face , because of the stocking and dark sunglasses.........

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#6]

There are several ways to tell if a perp is lying...The liar will avoid direct eye contact. The liar will cover part of his or her face with his hand, especially the mouth. The liar will perspire. Unfortunately I spoke to Oscar on the phone so none of this is useful.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I never stop.

I sometimes do this, and it makes people (males in particular) think that I am being "aggressive" or "threatening" when in all actuality I am just looking for no particular reason.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#8]
i usually go with the three second rule but situation dictates
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I tend to break eye contact pretty quickly.  Not sure why.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never stop.

I sometimes do this, and it makes people (males in particular) think that I am being "aggressive" or "threatening" when in all actuality I am just looking for no particular reason.

I think that's called "cruising".
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#12]
These eye contact dominance games are idiotic.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I usually stare until the person becomes extremely uncomfortable at which point I break out my dong and start throwing a jerk session.

Good golly Ms. Molly.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never stop.

Unless there is a articulable reason to display confidence or heightened attention I generally presume aggressive posturing or faggotry when a man insists on maintaining eye contact.  I also interpret anything a female does to mean she wants me.  I'm not bragging, don't feel obligated to compliment me on my sophistication.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I make eye contact ever so often, then when I get bored of their conversation I yell "STOP EYE FUCKING ME!"
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good golly Ms. Molly.

[little richard] "She sho' like the bone"     [little richard]

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Which is one of the reasons I try not to make a habit of staring people down.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You don't own a dog, do you?  This is part of their language.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#19]
If I don't have enough time to hate-fuck stare into someones eyes, I will pick my nose and roll my eyes in disgust as an appropriate end of the lock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I wear full shades everywhere.  Even indoors.  So I never make eye contact.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I never make constant eye contact with someone unless there is some tension. Otherwise I am direct and casual but you can't lock onto a person's eyes. The trick is that when you look away you look back again quickly after scanning a bit.

I do this all without thinking about it. I never realized it until some sort of public speaking class in high school when it was written down on some grading form for a presentation.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#22]

It depends on where I am.  At work where I am not the boss. I dont keep eye contact long with others.

Away from work I have the dominate eye contact in most situations.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah. Like the morons that want you to shake hands with them with their palm down, yours up. Allegedly this is to make you submissive or some crap.

Like that means anything to me. Douches who play games like that crack me up because it means so much to them, and quite literally nothing to me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#24]
When making eye contact with a hood rat, let him win.

If he has nothing left but pride he will fight to the death to defend it.  I have more left than pride.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I usually make eye contact briefly several times in a conversation to say "yeah, you've got my attention", but not long enough to make people think I'm trying to be a dick and play dominance games.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't worry about it.    

-X

Same
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Try that shit with me I'll hang a sign on your eye that says "Closed for the Weekend"
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#28]
More than a couple seconds is getting into "intimacy" or "aggression" territory. I've had idiots try to stare me down, I just gaze at one of their ears. Direct eye contact makes me extremely uncomfortable, unless it's with a SO.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. Like the morons that want you to shake hands with them with their palm down, yours up. Allegedly this is to make you submissive or some crap.

Like that means anything to me. Douches who play games like that crack me up because it means so much to them, and quite literally nothing to me.

Oh, that is what that is supposed to mean? I had wondered a couple of times. I just assumed they inadvertently stuck their hand out at a wrong angle and I twist it back to normal 'shake' position.

As for eye contact, I will look around a room and if my eyes happen to fall on anyone and they look at me at the same time I hold just long enough so they know I acknowledge them and then continue looking around.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#30]
With men, I break eye contact when I'm bored.

With women, I break eye contact to stare at their boobs.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Try that shit with me I'll hang a sign on your eye that says "Closed for the Weekend"

Gotta go with this.  Ill look you in the eye but if I catch you playing eye games then... read the above.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Another one to watch for is guys raising the pitch of their voice when they talk around someone they're intimidated by.

I read a bunch of this kind of shit in an article about "alpha vs. beta" type personalities. It's funny to notice. My boss tends to raise the pitch of his voice when he's talking to me. Must mean I'm going to take his job from him soon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Look into my eyes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have noticed that when I make eye contact first with someone (male or female) they always look away before I do. I just looked this up and it seems that males break eye contact when being submissive, and femals break a gaze when intimidated or excited by a male. I've been told that I am very persuasive and confident, but I've never made a conscious effort to achieve that. So I guess it's just part of my personality.

So this spurred me to ask, when do you make/break eye contact? Do you make any eye contact at all?

Once I have assesed you as a non-threat, I will break eye contact and continue scanning my surroundings.

Sounds to me like most people dismiss you pretty quickly.

Perhaps you are not as imposing a figure as you think.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Are you man enough to take a full power shot from me?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#37]
So when you run into other "very persuasive and confident" guys, do you stare at each other until someone calls you home for dinner or when the fisty-cuffs come out?
When I see guys staring, I automatically think that they're either gay or a little slow.

I like to bump my shoulder into people and curse at them as they walk past...I don't know why I do it, I guess it's just part of my dominate personality
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Everyone that engages me with eye contact, I considered it a challenge, so I play the stare game.  Keep staring and don't blink.  Unless, Its a female, in that case I just stare at the chest.  Women have eyes?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Maybe you are so hideously ugly that nobody wants to look at your face...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once I have assesed you as a non-threat, I will break eye contact and continue scanning my surroundings.

Sounds to me like most people dismiss you pretty quickly.

Perhaps you are not as imposing a figure as you think.

I don't really see myself as "imposing". On the contrary, I have made a conscious effort to have kinder eyes throughout the day since this was pointed out to me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I usually pop smoke before breaking eye contact.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, that is what that is supposed to mean? I had wondered a couple of times. I just assumed they inadvertently stuck their hand out at a wrong angle and I twist it back to normal 'shake' position.

As for eye contact, I will look around a room and if my eyes happen to fall on anyone and they look at me at the same time I hold just long enough so they know I acknowledge them and then continue looking around.

Now THAT is showing dominance over someone who intentionally set out to show dominance over you.  Way to go!

I find the dominance stuff very useful when dealing with the 5th and 6th graders I work with.  If the teacher isn't the dominant one, there is a problem.  The boys usually do dominance rituals subconsciously, so it's something important to watch for so you can prevent or correct some of the bad behavior that manifests in those situations.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If he has nothing left but pride he will fight to the death to defend it.  I have more left than pride.

This is true.  I work in a semi-sketchy part of the city and hood-rats are constantly trying to lock eyes.

My guess is they're trying to escalate aggressions...

1) I don't care about their little turf-war staring contests.

2) I'm too busy scanning the area to engage in eye fuck-fests, but this is how I notice a high rate of people staring at my eyes even while driving down the road.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true.  I work in a semi-sketchy part of the city and hood-rats are constantly trying to lock eyes.

My guess is they're trying to escalate aggressions...

1) I don't care about their little turf-war staring contests.

2) I'm too busy scanning the area to engage in eye fuck-fests, but this is how I notice a high rate of people staring at my eyes even while driving down the road.

I agree with this also, I will break EC when I know that a person is desperate to show some dominate behaviors just because it's not worth the hassle. There are a lot of these types around campus, I've noticed that no one really pays them any attention anyway. So they won the "staring contest" but didn't make anything come to fruition by winning.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I read it somewhere. Some business guy said you should do that so you can appear in command. I do the same thing, too - I offer my hand vertically.

It's total alpha-geek pseudo-psychobabble. The kind of nonsense I do not play.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. When I found out that presenting "palms down" was a dominance thing, I loled a little. Im going to twist it back my way if someone plays that game with me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I actually laughed out loud at that statement
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I like to bump my shoulder into people and curse at them as they walk past...I don't know why I do it, I guess it's just part of my dominate personality

I've found that if I think someone is going to try walking into me to just stop where you are and talk to the person you are with, or if alone not look directly at them.  Two people walking into each other is a dominance game, but one person walking into another who is standing still is seen as rude.  I've done this with a mix of people, age, sex, race, size, and general appearance.  Every time the other person will walk around me.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top