Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2009 12:23:28 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Man Dies After Outer Banks Shark Attack

PITTSBURGH –– A Pittsburgh man found dead off the Outer Banks in North Carolina Thursday died of injuries sustained from a shark bite, the medical examiner's office said.

Richard Snead, 60, was swimming in Corolla sometime after 9 p.m. on Sept 12 and was reported missing the next day by his family.

On Thursday, his body washed ashore in Kill Devil Hills.

According to police, there are no recorded incidents of anyone sustaining a shark bike while swimming in Currituck County since 2000.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Richard Snead, 60, was swimming in Corolla sometime after 9 p.m. on Sept 12

Guess he missed Jaws.

One of the tips they give for avoiding shark bites is don't swim at night.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Sharks come in close to feed in the early evening and at night and that's when you're most likely to get bit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Just poke its eyes out or punch it in the nose!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
THIS WAS NO BOATING ACCIDENT!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#5]
maybe it's just me - but i am not swimming in an ocean after dark, especially 9pm, the pool no problem.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]
after dark swimming is skecthy to say the least ––-especially out on the outerbanks ––-place is fishy as hell

no telling whats swimmng out there
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
maybe it's just me - but i am not swimming in an ocean after dark, especially 9pm, the pool no problem.

I'm not going out in the ocean in more than chest deep water. I know that there's shit that could still eat you in chest deep water but there's a lot more shit in the water that's deeper than that.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Wow. I'm sure my parents will love to here that. That is were we go for our family vacations and we are from the Pittsburgh area as well.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Especially there, we go to Duck or Topsail every year and its a given. The sharks are bad enough in the daylight but at night, getting in the water is as dangerous as going into Wilmington after dark.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not going out in the ocean in more than chest deep water. I know that there's shit that could still eat you in chest deep water but there's a lot more shit in the water that's deeper than that.

Here's a tip. I've read 90% of all shark attacks take place in waist deep water.

I'm thinking that's because that's as far out as 90% of people go.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Sharks come in close to feed in the early evening and at night and that's when you're most likely to get bit.

"You knew he was going to die!!!.... and you did nothing to stop it...."

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#12]
"If I say its safe to surf this beach - its safe to surf this beach"

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a tip. I've read 90% of all shark attacks take place in waist deep water.

I'm sure that's true and the percentage of fatal shark attacks are only about 5-10% or so because most attacks are by the smaller sharks. I'm not as concerned about a little one taking a nibble as I am a big one taking a bite.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
after dark swimming is skecthy to say the least ––-especially out on the outerbanks ––-place is fishy as hell

no telling whats swimmng out there

What he said.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure that's true and the percentage of fatal shark attacks are only about 5-10% or so because most attacks are by the smaller sharks. I'm not as concerned about a little one taking a nibble as I am a big one taking a bite.

I think it was 2 years ago when we down at Topsail. It was reported as a couple of tiger sharks attacking a boy 200yd north of us, Im not sure if they were right but from the eyewitness reports the shark was around 6ft long in less than knee deep water. A month before we were there a 7 foot Bull shark drove himself right up onto the beach.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think it was 2 years ago when we down at Topsail. It was reported as a couple of tiger sharks attacking a boy 200yd north of us, Im not sure if they were right but from the eyewitness reports the shark was around 6ft long in less than knee deep water. A month before we were there a 7 foot Bull shark drove himself right up onto the beach.

6 and 7 foot sharks are babies compared to what's out there. I'd rather have a 7' tiger on my leg than a 12 footer.

Even a 12' shark can swim in less than waist deep water but they usually stay out farther.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, you run the greatest threat in shallow water.  In shallow depths, a shark's sensory organs often become overwhelmed, and mistakes occur.  As rare as shark attacks are, statistically, they occur in shallow water, day or night.

I've been diving for twenty years.  From night dives in the Coral Sea, the Red Sea, and the Caribbean, encountering sharks is a thrilling experience; open-water encounters with sharks while diving is a common experience.

The only open-water encounter where I ever considered a shark a threat was when I was videoing a black-tip in Australia.  Showing the film later, I then saw what I should have recognized as aggressive behavior––I hadn't realized the shark changed it's posture.  The back suddenly straitened-out, and it's dorsal fins assumed a down-ward angle which is highly suggestive that I had upset the shark.  A learning experience.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, there is NO WAY I'd go swimming after dusk in the ocean. Just plain stoopid.

Hell, I went night DIVING-2  years after I got certified-in Maui and I just could not quit turning in circles during the dive, looking for sharks. And sharks generally don't attack people underwater.

Hell, when I used to dive in northern CA, in the Red Triangle, I didn't spin around that much.

The only time time your Humble Narrator is going out in the ocean after dark is IN A BOAT.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, you run the greatest threat in shallow water.  In shallow depths, a shark's sensory organs often become overwhelmed, and mistakes occur.  As rare as shark attacks are, statistically, they occur in shallow water, day or night.

I've been diving for twenty years.  From night dives in the Coral Sea, the Red Sea, and the Caribbean, encountering sharks is a thrilling experience; open-water encounters with sharks while diving is a common experience.

The only open-water encounter where I ever considered a shark a threat was when I was videoing a black-tip in Australia.  Showing the film later, I then saw what I should have recognized as aggressive behavior––I hadn't realized the shark changed it's posture.  The back suddenly straitened-out, and it's dorsal fins assumed a down-ward angle which is highly suggestive that I had upset the shark.  A learning experience.  

I'm not saying that I'm worried about getting bit, I just want to reduce my chances of getting bit by a mother fucking monster. The mother fucking monsters mostly stay in deeper water, so I stay out of the deeper water and away from the mother fucking monsters.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Who names these places back East? "Kill Devil Hills", "Fresh Kills Landfill". WTF?
Rob
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Great, and I was planning on doing my first night dive next week.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Great, and I was planning on doing my first night dive next week.

Congratulations!

Where?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#23]
You will never find me swimming in any ocean at night...ever.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember that, it was quite an active summer here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd say nearly 100% of shark attacks happen in the ocean.  That's all I need to know to form my avoidance plan.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd say nearly 100% of shark attacks happen in the ocean.  That's all I need to know to form my avoidance plan.

Bull Sharks have been found as far up as Illinois in the Mississippi. Bulls are the most aggressive as well.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#27]
We vacation every year in Topsail, and this past summer we repeatedly met surf fishermen who would say that they caught several sharks in the evening at or just after dark.

"In the months of 5 to 9, best to swim between 9 and 5" as they say.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bull Sharks have been found as far up as Illinois in the Mississippi. Bulls are the most aggressive as well.

Yep,were pretty much fucked.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I've caught a few sharks down in Waves/Avon which isn't too far south of Corolla.  I never went swimming out there, ever. If the sharks and stingrays didn't get you the rip tide would.  They didn't name it Bodi inlet for nothing. Oh, and where in the hell is Buxton?!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention lakes.

Lake Nicaragua, despite being a freshwater lake, has sawfish, tarpon, and sharks.[1] Initially, scientists thought the sharks in the lake belonged to an endemic species, the Lake Nicaragua Shark (Carcharhinus nicaraguensis). In 1961, following comparisons of specimens, the Lake Nicaragua Shark was synonymized with the widespread Bull shark (C. leucas),[3] a species also known for entering freshwater elsewhere around the world.[4] It had been presumed that the sharks were trapped within the lake, but this was found to be incorrect in the late 1960s, when it was discovered that they were able to jump along the rapids of the San Juan River (which connects Lake Nicaragua and the Caribbean Sea), almost like salmon.[5] As evidence of these movements, bull sharks tagged inside the lake have later been caught in the open ocean (and vice versa), with some taking as little as 7-11 days to complete the journey.[3]

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've caught a few sharks down in Waves/Avon which isn't too far south of Coralla.  I never went swimming out there, ever. If the sharks and stingrays didn't get you the rip tide would.

There are sharks everywhere. If people knew how many were in the water they'd never get in.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I SURF cast and at night get nervous as hell crawling out to the rocks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've caught a few sharks down in Waves/Avon which isn't too far south of Coralla.  I never went swimming out there, ever. If the sharks and stingrays didn't get you the rip tide would.

There are sharks everywhere. If people knew how many were in the water they'd never get in.

When underway, I always volunteer for shark watch. fuck jumping into open water and splashing around with 30-50 other people, they're shark bait.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was younger living in the Bay Area I used to surf in Santa Cruz and I was a scary ass when sitting on my board  with my legs pulled up on it(easy to do when you weigh 125lbs on a 6'5"x23"x2 3/4" board). I got a lot of shit for it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Who names these places back East? "Kill Devil Hills", "Fresh Kills Landfill". WTF?
Rob

"The name Kill Devil Hills can be dated back to the colonial era. Shipwrecks were common at the time, and many of the ships were transporting barrels of rum. Upon a shipwreck, locals would scavenge the ship and hide the rum they found behind the same large sand dunes where the Wright brothers later flew the first plane. The locals said that the rum was strong enough to "kill the devil," so the dunes where they would hide the rum were nicknamed 'Kill Devil Hills."

ETA: Swimming after dark is retarded mmmkay.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#36]
my buddy Brian Skerry:

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow I was in that area this summer swimming (but never at night).  I have seen sharks there before but nothing big.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Rob

Some of the place names with "Kill" or "Kills" in them take their name from a Dutch word meaning something like "river" or "stream", rather than from the English word 'kill'... The Dutch had quite a presence in the "New World" in the early days...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Have you taken a good look at the typical beach hotel pool in the evening, with the underwater pool lights providing illumination?

After a hard day of greasy sunscreened kids, it looks like freaking soup.  I'd almost take my chances with the sharks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Even when my family vacations at Myrtle beach, we rarely go in the ocean. Just the indoor hottubs & the local Krispy Kemes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#41]
not even our sharks take kindly to yankees in our waters....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Fuck me...I was swimming in Corolla over the Labor Day weekend.  I'm not going in that water without a fucking suit of armor from now on.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I used to go for night surfs all the time as a kid when there was adequate moonlight. This was in my little spot though- not sharky at all.

Up north there have been a couple attacks and many sightings. Some are pointbreaks that poke out dangerously close to the Great White Superhighway (term given to a migrationary path of Great Whites off the Central Ca coast). A guy got eaten at one of my favorite spots actually.

I get a little nervous in the late afternoon and always book out of there before sunset.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#44]
I was in OBX at the same time!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When underway, I always volunteer for shark watch. fuck jumping into open water and splashing around with 30-50 other people, they're shark bait.

Yep, have stood shark watch for swim call in the Caribbean when were doing a shakedown at Gitmo after a yard overhaul.

Back then, we used Garands for shark watch.  Yep, USN ships still had Garands in the early '70s.

BTW, I hate sharks with a passion.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, have stood shark watch for swim call in the Caribbean when were doing a shakedown at Gitmo after a yard overhaul.

Back then, we used Garands for shark watch. Yep, USN ships still had Garands in the early '70s.

So you could shoot the poor bastard getting munched on?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I was in OBX at the same time!

I just talked to my buddy that was down there that day.  Says he thought the no swimming signs were for the current, so he swam anyway.  He saw a shadow in a wave that freaked him out.  I told him Jaws nearly took a giant bite out of his ass.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Pittsburgh Man Dies After Outer Banks Shark Attack

PITTSBURGH –– A Pittsburgh man found dead off the Outer Banks in North Carolina Thursday died of injuries sustained from a shark bite, the medical examiner's office said.

Richard Snead, 60, was swimming in Corolla sometime after 9 p.m. on Sept 12 and was reported missing the next day by his family.

On Thursday, his body washed ashore in Kill Devil Hills.

According to police, there are no recorded incidents of anyone sustaining a shark bike while swimming in Currituck County since 2000.

I was in Kill Devil Hills last month.  According to someone who works down there, alot of shark bites go unreported so as not to damage tourism.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:14:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back then, we used Garands for shark watch. Yep, USN ships still had Garands in the early '70s.

So you could shoot the poor bastard getting munched on?

that or you shoot the guy furthest from the boat/ closest to the shark to give everyone else a chance to get up the jacobs ladder
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top