Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 10:32:40 AM EDT
I moved in with the woman this week. the lawn needs cut bad. she doesn't have a mower but the neighbor does. so i go over and ask to borrow it.

its broken. my GF bought this mower 4 years ago after borrowing theirs and breaking it.

it feels like its got weak compression. I check oil it looks good. I check gas its good too.

I pull the plug and it looks ok and I test Its sparking.

I pull the air cleaner.

its black and has partly disintegrated. i pull it out and SAND comes out of the air cleaner box from BEHIND THE FILTER.

I show filter to neighbor. reaction "oh wow I guess I should have changed that"

I pull the head. the cylinder is scored on the side where the valves are.

yeap its toast.

my GF spent about $300 on that mower 4 years ago and he trashed it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#1]
What's wrong with buying your own mower?  Your neighbor is free to treat his as badly as he wishes.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#2]
gf borrowed mower, breaks it, buys one for neighbor, and borrows the one that she bought. Now the neighbor broke it.

So everybody is even now? gf should now buy her own damn mower, and so should the neighbor.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#3]
That's just 3 years shy of the average replacement interval for a mower.  

Perhaps, this time around, you can be the mower purchaser/authoritarian...

BTW, I would get a used one on craigslist for $50 if I were you...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
gf borrowed mower, breaks it, buys one for neighbor, and borrows the one that she bought. Now the neighbor broke it.

So everybody is even now? gf should now buy her own damn mower, and so should the neighbor.

that's what I read. Sounds easy. What's with the lawnmower timeshare anyway?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's what I read. Sounds easy. What's with the lawnmower timeshare anyway?

don't get me wrong I totally agree. I don't borrow things very often from people and when he told me the mower was broke I offered to take a look at it for him.

my dad had his own lawn service for 20 years. I was tearing down weed wackers and briggs L heads in the 2nd grade.

we used the hell out of the equipment all the time and my dad never once bought comercial grade equipment. Snapper tractors and toro hand mower and whatever cheap weed wackers home depot had on sale.

we used to use the now long dead toro GTS 2 strokes for the hand mowers. my dad rebuilt one of them's front end 11 times. the motor would not die. he even had to repair the aluminum deck a couple of times because it wore through.

7 years on a push mower is normal? yeah  if you neglect it, it sure is.

I just can't believe he killed a $300 mower by not changing a $5 part ONCE!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#6]
fail, all around
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I moved in with the woman this week. the lawn needs cut bad. she doesn't have a mower but the neighbor does. so i go over and ask to borrow it.

its broken. my GF bought this mower 4 years ago after borrowing theirs and breaking it.

it feels like its got weak compression. I check oil it looks good. I check gas its good too.

I pull the air cleaner.

its black and has partly disintegrated. i pull it out and SAND comes out of the air cleaner box from BEHIND THE FILTER.

yeap its toast.

Yup some people are stupid. Rule # 1 never move in with a woman.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I pull the air cleaner.

yeap its toast.

Or at least make sure they have a lawnmower first!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#9]
WTF? Go buy a mower.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#10]
That's right.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

OP, read this twice. Well articulated.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

WTF? Go buy a mower.

Quoted:

WTF? Go buy a mower.

I hope you have a Form 4 for that mouse.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I pull the air cleaner.

yeap its toast.

Or at least make sure they have a lawnmower first!

When I was in my 20s I moved in with a GF ( her place her rules) it was teh suck

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#14]

*sigh* people are stupid?

Quoted:
I moved in with the woman this week.

Sure are!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Where are you located?  If you're in central Iowa I have a mower that runs that I'll give you.  Worth at least $20 but you can have it for free so I don't have to store it in my garage all Winter.  I don't really need it any more.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Where are you located?  If you're in central Iowa I have a mower that runs that I'll give you.  Worth at least $20 but you can have it for free so I don't have to store it in my garage all Winter.  I don't really need it any more.

florida. but I appreciate the offerI thank you.

I guess I'll be using the weed wacker ALOT this evening!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Get 'em one of these:

Seems like the logical choice for people who refuse to learn how to maintain a motor.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Who cares? It's his to treat as badly as he wants.

The fact that your girlfriend bought it because she broke his has nothing to do with it unless you are hinting at the fact that your girlfriend is also stupid for breaking the neighbors lawn mower.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Go to a Flea markeyt and buy another cheap.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Impressive.

Inquiring minds want to know though.

Does it still run and can you hook it up to a blender?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a mower for $35 at a small engine repair place. I used it for 5 years and gave it away when I moved.  Sure it fouled the plug and leaked oil, but with 10 minutes of maintenance a week, it ran like a champ.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's just 3 years shy of the average replacement interval for a mower.  

Perhaps, this time around, you can be the mower purchaser/authoritarian...

BTW, I would get a used one on craigslist for $50 if I were you...

Mine is 14 years old....Guess I am killing that averaage....lol
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

And never let one move in with you.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Neighbor is stupid. He should have never let your GF use his lawn mower years ago and he is doing it again....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Neighbor is stupid. He should have never let your GF use his lawn mower years ago and he is doing it again....

If that's the way the neighbor maintains his equipment no wonder the mower broke on the GF.  She just had the bad luck of borrowing it when it finally let go.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I made it in before ejec pics?

Arfcom, you have failed me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Impressive.

Inquiring minds want to know though.

Does it still run and can you hook it up to a blender?

You might be a redneck if...

Your Margarita machine is a 5 gallon bucket, a chewed up outboard prop, and an old lawn mower engine.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Wait..... Pics of GF.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's the way the neighbor maintains his equipment no wonder the mower broke on the GF.  She just had the bad luck of borrowing it when it finally let go.

I guess the neighbor is just kind. I couldnt stand people bothering me to barrow my things so they can do what it is they are supposed to be doing on their own.
Maybe he does not take care of his equipment. But it is his to do with as he pleases... how can a barrower criticize?
I just dont see how the people barrowing his stuff can be calling him stupid in this situation. the scenario is pretty amusing.

I really do not know who the OP is saying is the stupid one here.

jeepnstein summed it up pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And never let one move in with you.

Yes that too

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top