Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2009 10:19:37 AM EDT
I can't even remember the last time I heard anyone even talk about boxing or see an ad for a pay per view event.  It's all MMA now, and predominantly UFC at that.

Will it ever make a comeback?  I am doubting it.  MMA is so much more interesting to watch.  The sport slit its own throat to some extent when it fragmented into so many different factions.

What say you?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I can't even remember the last time I heard anyone even talk about boxing or see an ad for a pay per view event.  It's all MMA now, and predominantly UFC at that.

Will it ever make a comeback?  I am doubting it.  MMA is so much more interesting to watch.  The sport slit its own throat to some extent when it fragmented into so many different factions.

What say you?

Don King had a lot to do with the demise of boxing.  MMA is so much more interesting to watch.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#2]
You are correct.  It's dead.  It died a long time ago.

30 years ago, in order to get to a title fight, a boxer had to be an extremely good amateur (30-40 amateur bouts with a great record), and then a multi-year pro career with an exceptional record.
I stopped watching it several years ago when I saw a light-heavy title bout in which one of the entrants had been a pro for just a little over 2 years, and had won a total of 11 fights (approximate - memory, you know...).  He couldn't box worth shit.

ETA:  MMA is great to watch.  Skill wins.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#3]
It's become so slow and stodgy that people would rather watch MMA fights and actually see their favorite fighter fight more then once every year or year and a half. Championship fights should be every 4 months or so, not once in a blue moon like they are now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#4]
good thread. i was visiting with my dad last weekend and we were talking about how nobody even knows who the heavyweight champ is these days......including me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer to watch MMA...but I feel boxing tries to come across as more "civilized"...therefore, it should always have a certain following.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Boxing is dead.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Back in the '70s and early '80s, it was still "the sweet science".  I especially remember the middle-weights - Hearns, Hagler, Leonard.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Punch,Punch, Hug.

Repeat.

/thread

I grew up with a dad who was a boxing fan, we would watch the fights together, then cable TV came into the picture....then something happened, boxing started to suck, it was boring and it was always over analyezed, the commentators became annoying and the fighters began to seem lazy, weak and primadonnalike.

I quit watching, won't tune into a boxing match again.

MMA...it is here, it isn't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Boxing was at its best when the heavy weights ran the show.

Now the guys are bums and politics have ruined it.  

Boxing is dead and will never make come back.  

UFC has taken over and it is continually growing.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Once the big fights went to pay-per-view, I stopped paying attention.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Are u kidding? This year is a BIG year for Boxing.

Boxing has ups and downs. It's a trend. However, in recent years, the period of ups and downs are becoming more frequent. Boxing will not die.

As to MMA, it's a different type of entertainment. Both can co-exist.

Mayweather vs. Marquez TOMORROW. Pacquiao vs. Cotto November 14. Klitschko vs. Arreola.

Quoted:

BUMS? WOW.

The best Boxers in the World come from the lighter-intermediate divisions.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Heavyweight class is dead.  Lighter weights not quite as much, but getting there.  Dont like MMA either.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#13]
even though i wasnt a big fan of tyson, commacho,sugar ray leonard and a few more.., they did bring attention to the sport with their personalities
and you looked forward to seeing them challenged
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Your're a BUM

Kimbo would be better suited for boxing... I'd like to see that
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Punch,Punch, Hug.

Repeat.

/thread

I grew up with a dad who was a boxing fan, we would watch the fights together, then cable TV came into the picture....then something happened, boxing started to suck, it was boring and it was always over analyezed, the commentators became annoying and the fighters began to seem lazy, weak and primadonnalike.

So that makes MMA: punch, punch, hump each other on the ground. I guess you like that more?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

30 years ago, in order to get to a title fight, a boxer had to be an extremely good amateur (30-40 amateur bouts with a great record), and then a multi-year pro career with an exceptional record.
I stopped watching it several years ago when I saw a light-heavy title bout in which one of the entrants had been a pro for just a little over 2 years, and had won a total of 11 fights (approximate - memory, you know...).  He couldn't box worth shit.

STOP WATCHING THE HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION.

If someone says Boxing is dead because one division isn't doing too well, theyweren't a Boxing fan to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Punch,Punch, Hug.

Repeat.

/thread

Excuse the music but you get the picture
Castillio Corrales

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
even though i wasnt a big fan of tyson, commacho,sugar ray leonard and a few more.., they did bring attention to the sport with their personalities
and you looked forward to seeing them challenged

Not that I follow all that much, but I follow MMA even less.

I think the middle weight classes are a lot  more interesting.  The lowest weight classifications tend to look like bitch slapping and the big heavy weights have nothing exciting going on now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Boxing will never be what it was these bums now are the same types of fighters as the champs of the 60's 70's and 80's its UFCs turn and wouldn't you know it it is being run right without the politics and bs and Don Kings and everything else.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#21]
It's been dead for years.  Not due to MMA in general...but due to the air of corruption and influence peddling by organized crime, betting halls, and bookies...not to mention the people who are supposed to be watchingdogging the sport.

Boxing has lost the trust of the people and as a result has suffered.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#22]
The greedy Don King and Bob Arum are to blame for the lack of fights. There are still plenty of Great fighters out there.
Ward vs. Gatti
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#23]
MMA fighter vs Boxer

I think 9 out 10 fights would go to the MMA fighter.

Boxing is just one part of a fight,  MMA gives a more rounded match.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

I've been saying it for years, the best fights are going to be found between bantam weight and supper middle weight. The HW division is dead, but thats fine there are guys out there like Manny Pacquiao, Mikkel Kessler, Juan Manuel Marquez, and Isreal Vazquez that put on exciting fights.

I love MMA aswell, but to say that boxing is a dead is laughable. Manny Pacquaio made $12,000,000 in his last fight, the top UFC guys like Silva and GSP make only a couple of hundred thousand dollars a fight. There is still alot of money being invested in the sport, and there are alot of people (especially in South America and Europe) that tune in.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
MMA fighter vs Boxer

Double edge sword. Same could be said for Boxing because you don't have the luxury of kicking, kneeing, wrestling, etc. Put an MMA guy in the ring with a pure Boxer, he'd get rocked from post to post.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

I've been saying it for years, the best fights are going to be found between bantam weight and supper middle weight. The HW division is dead, but thats fine there are guys out there like Manny Pacquiao, Mikkel Kessler, Juan Manuel Marquez, and Isreal Vazquez that put on exciting fights.

I love MMA aswell, but to say that boxing is a dead is laughable. Manny Pacquaio made $12,000,000 in his last fight, the top UFC guys like Silva and GSP make only a couple of hundred thousand dollars a fight. There is still alot of money being invested in the sport, and there are alot of people (especially in South America and Europe) that tune in.

+1
Vazquez vs. Rafael Marquez (Juan Manuel Marquez's younger bro) was fucking brutal

Anderson Silva is interested in BOXING Roy Jones jr. As soon as his MMA contract expires. $$$$$$
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Heavyweight class is dead. Lighter weights not quite as much, but getting there. Dont like MMA either.

I havent seen a decent heavyweight fight since James J Braddock beat Max Baer.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It's been dead for years.  Not due to MMA in general...but due to the air of corruption and influence peddling by organized crime, betting halls, and bookies...not to mention the people who are supposed to be watchingdogging the sport.

Boxing has lost the trust of the people and as a result has suffered.

Corruption and suspicion of corruption has been there for decades, if not the entire modern era of the sport.

It's the lack of intriguing personalities in the Heavyweight division that is the problem.  There are great fights in the lower weight classes, but boxing's popularity will always be driven by the quality of its heavyweights.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Floyd Mayweather vs. Juan Manuel Marquez weigh in tonight! Don't miss it
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

+1
Vazquez vs. Rafael Marquez (Juan Manuel Marquez's younger bro) was fucking brutal

Anderson Silva is interested in BOXING Roy Jones jr. As soon as his MMA contract expires. $$$$$$

Hands down the best fight trilogy I've ever seen. Both of them are true warriors.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Bums... Compared to the old champs and contenders....

If you watch Boxing you will agree with me...

The light weights are average compared to when boxing was good.

There are a hand full of guys that are good..-

IMO
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#32]
I think pay-per-view is going to take it's toll on MMA as it did with boxing.  Too much hype, and more goes into the production than the fights themselves.  The way the fighters get paid is a good sign of that.  A high-ranked fighter can make more money losing a match than his lower ranked competitor, just because he has a larger following.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#33]
dead a loooong time ago.     you can pay for 20 MMA fights for the price of just 1 boxer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#34]
It is dying, not completely dead yet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
MMA fighter vs Boxer

Double edge sword. Same could be said for Boxing because you don't have the luxury of kicking, kneeing, wrestling, etc. Put an MMA guy in the ring with a pure Boxer, he'd get rocked from post to post.

Put MMA guy in ring with pure boxer and he will pick up boxer and slam his ass to the mat, and then ground and pound him until he taps.  A boxer is helpless on his back catching elbows to the face.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MMA fighter vs Boxer

Put MMA guy in ring with pure boxer and he will pick up boxer and slam his ass to the mat, and then ground and pound him until he taps.  A boxer is helpless on his back catching elbows to the face.

Exactly my fucking point. You can't knee, or wrestle in BOXING. Of course he's going to catch something he's not used to throwing.

HOWEVER every MMA guy knows how to use his hands. You put him in the boxing ring, he's going to get rocked.

Mayweather Marquez tomorrow
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Boxing is dying sport.  They learn and master one aspect of fighting with a whole bunch of bullshit rules.  Anyone who is a MMA pro would not stand toe to toe and trade blows with a boxer.

The sweet science isn't so sweet in the real world.  It only works with a strict set of rules.  Don't shoot, take me down and stomp my ass, just stand there and let me punch you.

I stand by my statement, MMA fighter wins 9 out of 10 fights.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Boxing isnt dead at all. Its got alot of exciting fighters in all weight classes. Its just not as mainstream as MMA. As mentioned in an earlier post, there are actually a few really good fights coming up soon, one of them tomorrow. Its just not advertised every other commercial break on the television the way MMA is.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Boxing is dying sport.  They learn and master one aspect of fighting with a whole bunch of bullshit rules.  Anyone who is a MMA pro would not stand toe to toe and trade blows with a boxer.

The sweet science isn't so sweet in the real world.  It only works with a strict set of rules.  Don't shoot, take me down and stomp my ass, just stand there and let me punch you.

Why would anyone take Boxing as a mode of self defense? That's absurd. Ground game is a big part of MMA, and in a defensive scenario, taking a fight to the ground is a big fucking no-no.

Face it. You are ignorant of the sport. I have said nothing bad to deface MMA or it's fighters. Boxing isn't just about trading blows, despite what you've seen in Rocky. Defense a huge  part of the sport, however most people who prefer MMA want to see a slugfest, so there you have it.

Like I have said. Both are entertaining. They can co-exist.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#41]
boxing is homo and dead. Did anyone see that motherfuckers skull through the big ass gash on his head on Ultimate Fighter?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I've never cared for boxing.

I always figured that if two guys got into it, someone was going to get kicked, choked or kneed in the neck.

Just standing there punching and not even being allowed to punch someone in the balls or kick their legs out from under them and jump on their ass seemed somehow wrong to me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Boxing is Dead.  A professional MMA Fighter would win 99 out of 100 fights with a boxer in the same weight division.  Boxing is so boring and unrealistic because 99% of street fights end up on the ground if neither party has a weapon.  The corruption in boxing over the past few decades hasn't helped out either.

MMA fighters get hit in the face with tiny gloves and boxers are used to getting hit with gloves that are like pillows in comparison.  MMA fighters are in better condition and they would just take the boxer down and submit him or ground and pound until he was knocked out or tapped out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes. Its dead for all intents and purposes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#45]
UFC/MMA FTW.

RIP boxing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#46]
we'll see what happens tomorrow when it goes head to head with a UFC pay per view event (though it is kinda a lackluster card on the UFC side)
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would anyone take Boxing as a mode of self defense? That's absurd. Ground game is a big part of MMA, and in a defensive scenario, taking a fight to the ground is a big fucking no-no.

Face it. You are ignorant of the sport. I have said nothing bad to deface MMA or it's fighters. Boxing isn't just about trading blows, despite what you've seen in Rocky. Defense a huge  part of the sport, however most people who prefer MMA want to see a slugfest, so there you have it.

Lets see I grew up in the 70's and 80's watching most all of the great boxing matches.  I am far from ignorant of the sport.  Face it MMA is a more advanced and more realistic fighting.  Most all fights end up on the ground, better hope your friends are tougher than the other guys if its a street fight.  Actually I think boxing is a great mode of self defense,  some of the very best boxers can go many a rounds without getting hit squarely.  

Someone start the thread MMA vs. Boxing with a poll.  We'll let the great arfcom GD decide
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets see I grew up in the 70's and 80's watching most all of the great boxing matches.  I am far from ignorant of the sport.  Face it MMA is a more advanced and more realistic fighting.  Most all fights end up on the ground, better hope your friends are tougher than the other guys if its a street fight.  Actually I think boxing is a great mode of self defense,  some of the very best boxers can go many a rounds without getting hit squarely.  

Someone start the thread MMA vs. Boxing with a poll.  We'll let the great arfcom GD decide

First of all, when you introduce a weapon in the equation (as in your original post), it becomes a defensive situation and not a street fight. You wouldn't want to go to the ground with a guy with a knife, and you sure as hell wouldn't want to wrestle a guy with a gun.  Second, call me crazy, but it just sounded like you were knocking boxing for not having any real world applications, so which is it?

We're not here talking about which is better, realistic, advanced etc etc. We're talking about Boxing as a sport in general. But on the topic, think of it this way. Boxers have to work with what they have, which is very little (compared to MMA). As one dimensional as it may seem, there is a science behind it. There wouldn't be great champions if there wasn't.

I don't even know why you are turning it into a pissing match between MMA vs. Boxing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Once the big fights went to pay-per-view, I stopped paying attention.

Bingo! In order to get a fast, higher pay-day, they locked out their not-so-devoted fans.

If boxing was on a major network Saturday night, even ESPN, I would watch, but I am not going to pay $40 to see fighters I don't even know.

Funny how other sports like NASCAR are trying to expand their fanbase but boxing is narrowcasting.
Boxing really needs to unite under a strong commisioner.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Its dead and cold.....MMA is the king now and for along time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top