Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 10:07:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Sheep Wanted (Cleveland County/Norman area)
Date: 2009-09-13, 12:32AM CDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

You: In possession of ~25 ewes and a ram of any breed.

Me: 29 year-old media worker who has recently been laid off from a $69,000 a year job and cannot find work anywhere in the goddamn world. I've been out of work since March and I have basically given up on life and am now reduced to living with my parents on their 20-acre quasi-ranch, so I've decided to raise sheep, sell organic vegetables and resign myself to never being able to pay off my $65k in student loans. I have a ten year-old pickup truck with 150k miles I can use to pull a trailer, about $4000 in savings I can use to get started and absolutely no training in raising sheep. I can, however, shoot, edit and market web videos or build you a super cool website (that's what a sixty-thousand dollar education and a decade of media work will get you instead of practical life-skills). I'm single because I'm broke and living with my parents, and I have no children because I can't ever fucking afford to have a family of my own so I should have plenty of time to spend being a shepherd and hoeing the garden. If you know anything about growing organic squash I'd be forever in your debt if you'd share that with me too. I have been educated at a top-tier school so I feel I am competent to explain to the sheep the subtle nuances of Kant and his Critiques of Judgment and Reason (both Pure and Practical). Further, I can show the sheep how to construct an article with either a delayed lede or in an inverted pyramid. In addition to my 10 years of media work I also volunteered in my spare time so I feel any lambs produced of this union would come away with a strong sense of community service and personal responsibility. I'm at an all time low in terms of self-esteem, so if the sheep are difficult or are highly critical I'll probably shoot either them or myself—save us all the hassle. As a (former) media worker I feel that I am uniquely qualified to lead sheep around all day long, as I have been leading around the intellectual sheep that comprised my audience for ten years. I promise not to fuck the sheep.

First they came for the textile workers, and I did not speak out—because I was not a textile worker;
Then they came for the auto workers, and I did not speak out—because I was not an auto worker;
Then they came for the finnacial services workers, and I did not speak out—because I did not work in finnacial services;
Then they came for the insurance workers, and I did not speak out—because I did not work in the insurance industry;
Then they came for me, and there was nobody left to speak out for me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats not really funny.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#3]
"I promise not to fuck the sheep. "
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#4]
That's both sad and funny, at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thats not really funny.

Sorry.  My humor calibration might be a little off.  But, to me, gallows humor is pretty much always funny.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure which is funnier, the gallows humor or the fact that he can't spell financial correctly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not sure which is funnier, the gallows humor or the fact that he can't spell financial correctly.

Cut us Oklahomans a little slack.  The dialect here isn't exactly conducive to spelling properly.  We pretty much speak with two vowels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top