Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 9:20:14 AM EDT
My girlfriend needs help finding ethical issues with businesses for a class. She has the whole acorn thing but told me that she gets points off if another group has the same article.

does anyone know off the top of their head any world wide ethical issues which happened in the last week or how i could find it? is there a certain website that is credible?

i still think she should do acorn but she isnt as strong as me in debating and she is affraid that her group will all be liberals, but even i dont know how they can say the acorn issue is not unethical
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#1]
i guess no other ethical issues made the news on the heels of this acorn scandal
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Some I've personally  seen...

Contractor for a company, a director for the company is in charge of development and of my group, wants access to some production log files granted to developers and helpdesk people.  Problem is, when researching an issue, I discovered that the application was improperly logging all of the information from credit applications and credit card transactions in unecrypted logs, granting the access would make all of the information necessary for identity theft and credit card fraud available to any of the developers or helpdesk personnel without any logging, most of them were foreigners working in the US on H1B visas.  Company had just merged with another company, so new policies hadn't been published yet, under the old policies we were told to follow, the company reserved the right to go after administrators for any losses they suffered if the admin violated security policies.

Grant the access and keep the job in a tight market (2001) or deny it and lose the job?

IT contractor has worked all week, on Friday afternoon, he's told he's needed to do some work that weekend (other person scheduled to do the work was shifted to a different high-priority project that weekend), he wound up working 20+ hours over the weekend.  Turned in his timesheet for 60+ hours, manager comes out of a meeting with the director and tells him he can't turn in a timesheet for more than forty hours, if he insists on submitting that timesheet, he'll lose his job.

Management wants to test some new software, the software requires that firmware on a disk array be upgraded.  Thanksgiving/Christmas production freeze (no changes from mid-November through mid-January, not even allowed to go in the data center except for emergencies) is pending.  IT worker asks director when the upgrade can be done, vendor says it can be done without downtime and it has been done successfully on another disk array, gets an approved change request for that time, with approvals from VP and CIO.  A hardware failure occurs during the firmware upgrade at a time when no redundancy was available, resulting in a short (10 minutes total, including recovery) outage.  CIO throws a fit and puts a letter of reprimand in VP's file and directs him to reprimand director and have the director reprimand the IT worker for doing the upgrade at a time other than the Sunday morning maintenance window.  Accept the reprimand or challenge it based on the fact that you had an approved change control?

Btw, all three of the workers wound up being fired, laid off,  or having contracts terminated either directly due to the above or soon thereafter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top