Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2002 1:53:35 PM EDT
[url]http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel020602.shtml[/url]

Bougainville has been poisoned and plundered. Its people endured a military blockade which prevented food, medical supplies, fuel, and arms from reaching the island, and which killed 10 percent of the island's population. Most of the casualties claimed by that blockade were not armed combatants, but women and children. The world never saw pictures of the starving children of Bougainville because the blockade blocked out journalists, as well.

The American and European Left complain endlessly about the Iraq embargo which, unlike the Bougainville blockade, allows the delivery of medicine and food. The Iraq embargo is premised on protecting the safety of the whole world, by reducing Saddam Hussein's capacity for construction of weapons of mass destruction. In contrast, the Bougainville blockade served mainly the interests of an oppressive clique. Yet while Kofi Annan bemoans the Iraq embargo, the U.N. was complicit in the Bougainville blockade
View Quote

I'm pretty P.O.'d that apparently [i]not one single domestic news service covered this conflict[/i].  And it sounds like the UN is out to screw these people by disarming them "for their own good". [pissed]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
........"Unintended consequenses".......
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
That was a very interesting article.  I like how after successfully resisting and sabotaging the mining operation, the PNG government said to the rebels "Look, just turn over your guns, and we'll give you independence and stop raping your island."

LMAO! But you keep YOUR guns, right?  Nice try!  
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Bougainville is an interesting topic for me because i happened to grow up in PNG as my parents were missionaries in the mountains of PNG.  Spent most of my life from 5-15 there.  Was there when the whole thing started.  The rebels were able to withstand the PNG army despite the embargo.  The rebels actually were able to get most of their ammo from the stockpiles left over from WW2.  On a side note PNG is a very beautiful country, just very unstable and not too safe for expatriates especially women. PNG is very dependent on Australia for economic aid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top