Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 8:23:11 AM EDT
Anybody remember President Andrew Jackson? His political party?

Betrayer of the very people who saved his life at Horshoe Bend, AL?

What is that John Mellencamp once sang:

Some people ain't no damn good
You can't trust 'em, you can't love em
No good deed goes unpunished

Aptly describes the Democratic Party of the US
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no use for him either.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#2]
You mean the only President to eliminate US debt?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Ya know, Jackson did some shitty stuff, but at least he understood that they Judiciary was the the least dangeraous branch.  I am tired of executives and legislatures (on all levels of government) bowing down to Judges who refuse to obey the Constitution or the expressed will of the people.  Every once in a while we need an executive who will tell the judiciary to FOAD or follow the Constitution.  I don't agree with what Jackson did to the Cherokee but there is much wisdom in the quote "Marshall made his decision...now let him enforce it."
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#4]
My point is Democrats screw over their friends and allies and always have.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#5]
My favorite President
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I would argue that a democrat in jacksons day was a totally different animal than what we have now, but if he were alive today i would give you 100 bucks to say it to his face.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I wonder what Gen. Jackson would do about how Wall Street and our banking institutions are behaving today, as compared to how Bush and Obama have dealt with them in the last year or so?

Heh.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Jackson was a hero. His loyalty was to the American people, not Indians.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So you support what he did to the Cherokee Nation after they saved his arse at Horseshoe Bend??

Nice
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe the Cherokee people, of all tribes, were the ones we could have coexisted with. They actually adopted the settlers way of life. What happened to them was a travesty.

That being said, it's pretty cool when a United States President beats the living shit out of a would-be assassin with his cane!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#11]
His nickname was "jackass".  Hence the symbol of the Democrat Party.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Jackson wasn't perfect, but he did fight the bankers who were trying to take over America.  He succeeded in killing the 2nd National Bank, and he paid off most of the national debt.  When Jackson left office, the debt was only $36,000 dollars.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you support what he did to the Cherokee Nation after they saved his arse at Horseshoe Bend??

Nice

It's called war. There are winners and losers. Nice has no place in a struggle between civilizations when survival is at stake. Nice cultures finish last. We are going to learn that the hard way.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Why are you guys talking about me? I didn't do nuff'n
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice

It's called war. There are winners and losers. Nice has no place in a struggle between civilizations when survival is at stake. Nice cultures finish last. We are going to learn that the hard way.

There was no war between the US and the Cherokee.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice

This emigration should be voluntary, for it would be as cruel as unjust
to compel the aborigines to abandon the graves of their fathers and
seek a home in a distant land. But they should be distinctly informed
that if they remain within the limits of the States they must be
subject to their laws. In return for their obedience as individuals
they will without doubt be protected in the enjoyment of those
possessions which they have improved by their industry.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no beefs with Old Hickory.
I'd take him over Carter/ Hussein anyday...
If you can make that comparison
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#18]
As with every Jackson thread, I'm forced to point out that the trail of tears occurred 1.5 years after his presidency.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

As with every Jackson thread, I'm forced to point out that the trail of tears occurred 1.5 years after his presidency.

But he's the one who signed the Indian Removal Act of 1830 into law.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I am a direct decendent of him.  Watch it!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Andrew Jackson was the best president in American history.  If I had lived back then I would have been a Democrat and I would have voted for him both times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top