Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 6:14:14 AM EDT
This dumb old bastard just pawned his father's captured Bayonets from WWII because he didn't want his kids to get hurt.

one was the saw back "Butcher" blade in grand condition.

his father was 101st AB that picked them off Germans he killed.

oye
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]
It is all TV land.

None of this shit is in his store.

I am sure he got them back.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#2]
that show is full of stupid.  i hate the way baldy talks to people.  it would infuriate me if it were me
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#3]
"No I can't pay that.......how about $50"
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:21:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty sure he didn't end up pawning them because he was only offered like $50 for all 3 of them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This dumb old bastard just pawned his father's captured Bayonets from WWII because he didn't want his kids to get hurt.

oye

I believe that old coots story about as much as the stories I hear from the former "spec-ops guy" selling jerky at the gunshow. He probably got the bayonets from a Century "monthly special" a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#6]
He did not pawn them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:23:03 AM EDT
[#7]
fat fucks are tards. I tried watching it one night and it reminded me way to much of every shit pawn shop Ive ever been in.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:26:26 AM EDT
[#8]
What he does is no different than your local gun shop does buying or taking in trades.

People who feel the need to sell NOW lose their shirts and the store is going to do their best to maximize profit.

I have seen people absolutely tooled on the value of their firearms in shops I'd consider generally honest.If the people knew enough about the object's value or actually cared about it,they'd  either keep it or sell it to someone who would pay real value.However,there are plenty of people who would gladly trade old bayonets that have 0 meaning to them for a new TV or trade a rusty old pistol for last month's overdue car payment.It's just how it is.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#9]
What he does is no different than your local gun shop does buying or taking in trades.

People who feel the need to sell NOW lose their shirts and the store is going to do their best to maximize profit.

I have seen people absolutely tooled on the value of their firearms in shops I'd consider generally honest.If the people knew enough about the object's value or actually cared about it,they'd  either keep it or sell it to someone who would pay real value.However,there are plenty of people who would gladly trade old bayonets that have 0 meaning to them for a new TV or trade a rusty old pistol for last month's overdue car payment.It's just how it is.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't watched the show, but if I had to tell you about the people who sell stuff at pawn shops, I would tell you that they are either crackheads selling some stolen goods, or dumbasses.

Of course I did sell my SKS at one, but I got my money back and then some because it was an uber cool assault sniper rifle used in Kosovo that has a grenade launcher and a bayonet AND a kick ass see through scope mount.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:29:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Seriously, offer somebody 5% of what they're asking for something for sale and thats basically pawn stars.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:45:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Pawnshops are not Buy Sell Stores or Antique Stores

, they are in the business of lending money.  When you "Pawn" an item it is generally understood you are going to come back for it, so the last thing I would want to do is offer you wholesale value for it.  In fact, we try not to lend more than 20 - 25% of the value of the item, it makes it a lot more likely that it will get picked backup (and often times a month later pawned again, repeat business is good to have).  Keeping a pawned item is a major pain at least in Florida, it can't be sold for 60 days, so our money just sits there earning nothing.  Then it has to be cleaned up and put out for sale and it can take a while to sell depending on the item.

If you want to sell an item you are far better off putting in the paper or Craig's list.

Edit:  By the way I do not like this show, the grandfather and "Hoss" just make me want to scream wtf?!!?  As far as I can see they add absolutely no value to the business.  Now G-pa might own the business in which case good for him I plan on harassing my kid too when I get to that age, but jeez stop talking and spitting out stilted pearls of wisdom.  Hoss needs to go get a real job for awhile and then come back maybe he would stop being such a whiny puss and he should take Cletus (the cousin) with him.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Not having been in the pawn business, the show seems reasonable - they aren't a bank, they're a pawn shop.

Pawn shops can't offer anywhere near retail on most things - guns are probably the best for the seller, and even then if they offer more than 50% retail, I'd be surprised.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not having been in the pawn business, the show seems reasonable - they aren't a bank, they're a pawn shop.

Pawn shops can't offer anywhere near retail on most things - guns are probably the best for the seller, and even then if they offer more than 50% retail, I'd be surprised.

Well Said
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I watched an episode where this guy tried to pawn a gun that he swore was authentic from the late 1800's. The guy said on camera that his wife was making him sell the gun. Turns out it was NOT authentic and not worth five hundred bucks. The poor guy looked like he was going to throw up. He paid about 1700.00 for it and wanted 1000.00. On the way out of the pawn shop ... he said, "My wife is going to KILL me!"

I giggled.

I can't help it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#16]
At a local auction last week, someone bought an old M1 bayonet for $30.  Went home and put it on Ebay, got $100 for it.  Apparently I need to start getting into buying cheap shit at auctions and selling crap on Ebay like some other people I know.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I enjoy the show for what it is: Entertainment.

It sure isn't like any pawn shop that I've ever been to. Usually they're wretched hives of scum and villainy. Theirs is very nice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Pawn shops are legal fencing operations for thieves and drug addicts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I watched an episode where this guy tried to pawn a gun that he swore was authentic from the late 1800's. The guy said on camera that his wife was making him sell the gun. Turns out it was NOT authentic and not worth five hundred bucks. The poor guy looked like he was going to throw up. He paid about 1700.00 for it and wanted 1000.00. On the way out of the pawn shop ... he said, "My wife is going to KILL me!"

I giggled.

I can't help it.

That guy was ticked!

Good episode

Shows why you need to know what you are looking at when you go to a gunshow. That guy kept saying, "the guy at the gunshow said it was real".
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

While true, it still doesn't look good when they bring in an appraiser for an item who says it's worth "at least $4000" and then they offer the guy $400 immediately thereafter (or sometimes with the appraiser still in the room).
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#21]
yeah fuck capitalism

not like they don't have overhead to pay
if the person doesn't like the offer they are welcome to leave

stupid people keep many businesses afloat

are you going to pay over 40-60% new price for a used item ?

the pawn shop offers over 20% of what it is worth sell it for 50% of what it is worth turn the profit fast and move on

they make all their money on interest anyway and if you put too much in a item they are not going to come back for it

and the business is not really in the business of selling things anyway

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I love that show for some reason, probably because of the variety of stuff pawned, then there's some history lessons to be learned on some of the stuff like that 1736 map of Boston, and I also like to see the seller's hopes shot down when Rick offers them 50% of what they had in mind.  Hint: Always say you want to get 2x as much for your item then you really want to
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#23]
A local pawn shop\gun store has a policy if you pay the intrest you get another month. Not required by law but why does he do it. He has several people that have had stuff for YEARS!!!  One guy has a firearm
(I forget what but its not much or expensive}  He has paid the intrest for OVER 25 YEARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on a 200.00 dollar loan. I think the intrest and  fees like 20% a month in Illinois in a pwan shop.  12 x 25 x 40 = 12000 and he still owes the entire 200. He ben offered to pay down the principle but he wont even do a dollar. Amazing
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Fine with me.  Someone who appreciates them will now be the proud owner.  At least she didn't give them to some toys for tots program that would destroy them.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#25]
How much stuff is actually stolen?  Do cops really have time to come in and inventory the place?  Seems like only the tallest nails would get hammered.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fine with me.  Someone who appreciates them will now be the proud owner.  At least she didn't give them to some toys for tots program that would destroy them.

Toys for tot involves Marines. I doubt they would destroy bayos
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#27]
uh

...thought he said parn stars...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

While true, it still doesn't look good when they bring in an appraiser for an item who says it's worth "at least $4000" and then they offer the guy $400 immediately thereafter (or sometimes with the appraiser still in the room).

They can offer whatever the hell they want.

If the people in there are stupid enough to take low-ball offers for immediate cash so be it. If they wanted full-market value they would have sold it themselves.

A business that pays retail won't be a business much longer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I just want to know WTF this show has to do with HISTORY.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#30]
That Rick guy is a real low balling dirt bag he offers about a tenth of a items real value and then whines about how he would really like to have the item "but not if he can't make money off it.

Karma has a way of paying back assholes like that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A local pawn shop\gun store has a policy if you pay the intrest you get another month. Not required by law but why does he do it. He has several people that have had stuff for YEARS!!!  One guy has a firearm
(I forget what but its not much or expensive}  He has paid the intrest for OVER 25 YEARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on a 200.00 dollar loan. I think the intrest and  fees like 20% a month in Illinois in a pwan shop.  12 x 25 x 40 = 12000 and he still owes the entire 200. He ben offered to pay down the principle but he wont even do a dollar. Amazing

I will say, if that's accurate, the guy is a moron, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Why don'tcha try watching it?  I have learned quite a bit of history from the "experts" that the guy brings in to appraise things.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A hell of a lot more than some stupid show about loggers, monsters or truckers. It's an entertaining show IMO.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A hell of a lot more than some stupid show about loggers, monsters or truckers. It's an entertaining show IMO.

NONE of them should be on that channel. That's what TLC or TDC is for.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

How much stuff is actually stolen?  Do cops really have time to come in and inventory the place?  Seems like only the tallest nails would get hammered.

most places a form and possibly a thumb print goes to the police for every purchase/pawn

how many people work those sheets however varies greatly from city to city state to state

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure he didn't end up pawning them because he was only offered like $50 for all 3 of them.

He wanted $1500.

The expert came in and they were appraised for something like $600-$700, the K-98 being the cheapest at ~$45, the cut down knife/bayo I think was appraised for ~$100-200 and the original sawback, ~$350-$450.  Those are retail quotes, not wholesale.

The guy took them and walked.

The guy with the nice slot machine pawned that and the gas pump guy sold it for $100, IIRC.

Chris

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

It's a stretch but FAR more relevant to history than Ice Road Truckers, Swamp Loggers, Monster Quest, etc.

They're way past due in changing the name of the channel.

beat to it

Fuck The "History" Channel

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don'tcha try watching it?  I have learned quite a bit of history from the "experts" that the guy brings in to appraise things.

I watched one episode. It sucked as bad as I figured it would.

Same tired BS formula that every reality show has had since American Chopper.

Dad runs business. Son runs business with dad. Son is asshole. Dad is bitter old man. Second son (or in this case, grandson) is a moron. Drama ensues. Repeat weakly (pun intended).
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
that show is full of stupid.  i hate the way baldy talks to people.  it would infuriate me if it were me

I agree. But he also runs a pawn shop. I don't go to them for multiple reasons. But I don't think I've ever met a pawn shop guy that had an award winning personality. Their entire job is to get stuff for the cheapest possible price. So they can turn around and sell it for as much as someone would pay for the same item brand new.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#40]
it's entertaining. historical side is the random crap that comes through there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

most places a form and possibly a thumb print goes to the police for every purchase/pawn

how many people work those sheets however varies greatly from city to city state to state

I was fortunate when my tard step brother stole my camera equipment and pawned it, I had all the serial numbers.  When I gave it to the police, they did an online DB lookup, but I can't recall the website of the top of my head.  Most major pawn shops enter their tickets on there, which include the item, serial numbers (if any), who pawned it, when, and how much.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That Rick guy is a real low balling dirt bag he offers about a tenth of a items real value and then whines about how he would really like to have the item "but not if he can't make money off it.

Karma has a way of paying back assholes like that.

Do you have ANY grasp of business or profits?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'd say the days of history programs on the history channel are history.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

oye

He KEPT them...you need to watch the whole show.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Rick, the stores owner, takes A LOT of the items he is offered to various antique/gun/automotive restorers around town to find the items actual value before he offers to buy it, or pass on it...I actually think that it is pretty informative.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#46]
the guy that brought in the 1750 Blundebuss should have kept it, it was inherited from his relative
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

oye

He KEPT them...you need to watch the whole show.

yeah I saw the rest, but he only kept them because his greedy ass couldn't get what he wanted for them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#48]
That show is hilarious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top