Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 5:20:45 AM EDT
For those of you who read my post about "Farnhams Frehold" as well as everyone else...

Any of you read the Starks War Series? It is a series of books about a moon based war in the future and mutiny against the officers lead by a Sergent named Stark.There are Three books in the series written by John Hemry.

John has also written several books under the name Jack Campbell that deal with a JAG in a Space bound Navy.

John is a graduate of the Annapolis Naval Academy Class of 1978, who retired from the Navy in the mid 1990's and took up writing. I know the Author very well. He is a good guy. If you haven't read any of his books I recommend them.

Here is a link to his webpage.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not, but I love his "Lost Fleet" (written as Jack Campbell) series.  Space fleet battle tactics that sound like they'd actually work, a lot of musing on the meaning of honor and the dangers of hero worship, an interesting over arching mystery.  Reads like a mix of 3 parts Robert Heinlein and 1 part Tom Clancy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:14:23 AM EDT
[#2]
John is a good writer. I am glad you like his books. I will tell him I met someone who likes his books. He will like that. The Name Jack Campbell comes from John's Dad's first name and his paternal grandmothers maiden name.
I spent some time with John this past summer. I helped him and his brother Rob catalog his dad's gun collection and gave them an idea on how much each rifle, shotgun and handgun is worth. John is not very much into weapons for a retired Navy Officer.

It made me sad to think all those guns I used to shoot as a kid were going to be sold, including the government issue WWII era Colt 1911.
John Hemry is my first cousin on my dad's side. When I was a kid, I used to work on his dad's (My Uncle's) Wheat Farm in Central Kansas.
John has a new book in the Jack Campbell series coming out soon. He was working on it this summer but was having some trouble with the final battle at the end of the book. He has also been picked up for several more books.  I have talked with him at great length about his source of inspiration for his writing and why he writes what he does. I can tell you this, he draws a lot of inspiration from his Naval experience. I think it is very cool that he has been able to make a living out of writing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top