Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 12:27:11 AM EDT
What is the ideal percentage of manufacturing for of a nation's economy?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:43:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I am no manufacturing groupie (whatever that is) and certainly not an economist but to me it seems a good idea to produce more than you consume and not consume more than you can produce.  There may be a really good reason that my idea is a horrible one but it seems good to me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I just took a wild assed guess at 50 - 60%.  Our real number is probably somewhere around 10% now (another WAG).

eta Dang! We are all over that poll! Kinda' like a sawed off shotgun, someone's bound to hit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#3]
One hundred billion percent
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:06:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One hundred billion percent

Mathematics fail.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:07:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Mathematics fail.  

I do that a lot
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:00:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure...What is China's They are doing pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:15:49 AM EDT
[#7]
The correct answer is whatever the free market will bear.

Unfortunately we now live in a controlled market with the unions that just got stronger and a Govt that is embracing extreme control.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:25:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I would guess 30-40%, buts that just a wild guess.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am no manufacturing groupie (whatever that is) and certainly not an economist but to me it seems a good idea to produce more than you consume and not consume more than you can produce.  There may be a really good reason that my idea is a horrible one but it seems good to me.

this
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:05:18 AM EDT
[#10]
depends on what you are producing and how.  agriculture, heavy machinery, durable goods....  if you produce toys and plastic crap like china does, you are not buffered from economic downturns as orders for that junk will cease.  manufacturing the cheap and dirty way is no replacement quality, durable goods. just saying, lumping all things into the "manufacturing" category is like saying a doctor and the ticket guy at the movie theater are both service professionals
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:42:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Manufacturing is approximately 10% to 11% of the economy right now.  The CEO of GE (his name escapes me right now) says that we should have 20%.  Some economists say that is untenable in the U.S.  There was an article in the Wall Street Journal about this a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:43:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Manufacturing is approximately 10% to 11% of the economy right now.  The CEO of GE (his name escapes me right now) says that we should have 20%.  Some economists say that is untenable in the U.S.  There was an article in the Wall Street Journal about this a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the specific info. It was really helpful.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I think we should move all manufacturing over seas and go to a strictly service based economy. Of course, that's unsustainable and unemployment will skyrocket causing crime to go through the roof.

But hey, that means your department will be hiring, eh Sherrick?

Not sure where the tax revenue wil come from to pay them, but it sounds awesome in theory.

ETA: I voted 30-40%
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top