Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2009 10:11:59 PM EDT
I've had two pairs of great earplugs that I've been using for about two years now. Someone gave them to me, so they were free (to me). They're washable, so I've gotten quite a bit of use out of them. I actually dropped a pair at the range one weekend, and thought I had lost them (transitioned to the spare pair). I found the "lost" pair in the dirt at the range a few weeks later, washed them up, and still use them today.

They're very comfortable, and the noise reduction is good. I had lost the plastic carry case long ago, and that had the brand on it. I had forgotten what brand they were, so I started searching around online to see if I could find them (eventually I'll need to get new ones, and I'm pretty sure I want to stick to this kind).

Success... They're Moldex Rockets:

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/moldex-rockets-corded-earplugs-1.html
So, what kind of ear plugs are you guys using at the range?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#1]
9mm spent brass
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually try to find a set on the ground without ear wax on em.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#3]
SureFire EP4.  There is no other.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I normally just use the disposable foam ones (like gloplugz, etc), because most of the ones I've tried that use the shape of the surefire ones (the part that actually goes in the ear canal) just don't fit me properly and are almost immediately uncomfortable/painful and don't work well because of the fitment issues. - However, after reading up on the Surefire ones, it looks like they come in multiple sizes, so I am definitely gonna try them. It would be nice to have something that lets the low level sounds come through without letting the high level stuff through. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll measure correctly (measuing method shown on their website) and that things will work out in general. We'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Me too
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I never really checked to see what brand I have, but after looking I have the Surefire EP3.

I bought them at the range when I forgot my ear muffs. I've used them pretty exclusively and they have found their way into my pocket when going to concerts, too.

My only issue is that despite how much I clean them, I have problems with getting ear infections. However, that's something that has plagued me since I was little. Having something pressed inside of my ear canal only seems to make things worse.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a set of orange wraparounds. I don't remember who they are made by. They are nice because I can wear them around my neck while they are not in in my ears.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too

NSR 16 db? lol.

From Midway's website reviews:

These work better than the $120 custom fit plugs I had made! Easy in and easy out. The fit is tight but not uncomfortable and they are soft enough not to come loose even when you eat. I can shoot at a match surrounded by braked .308s and still be comfortable. Definitely going to keep a couple of sets around.

A silencer will reduce 308 by at least 25db and they are not hearing safe. But this 16db plug makes braked 308s "comfortable"? Either he was already deaf or this is a shill post.

An AR15 is 165db. Even with the plug nub inserted, these only reduce that to 150db. Hearing safe for ONE shot has to be below 140db. Hearing damage is a function of intensity AND exposure time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Surefire with a cheap Winchester over-the-ear set now.

My hearing got destroyed on the last deployment.  

The only thing I can hear, is my dad telling me that I need to take care of my hearing because the damage is cumulative. Another valuable lesson I learned from the man, but had to prove to myself.

Edit: Sonic Defenders 3, in the ear
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought 1000 pairs of cheap yellow ones ebay really cheap. I throw them away every range trip, and still will probably last me several years.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:38:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the surefire ones. Not sure if I have the EP-3 or 4 ones.

The NRR is hard to explain. The packaging on mine said something low like 8 dB, but it's more than that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too

NSR 16 db? lol.

These work better than the $120 custom fit plugs I had made! Easy in and easy out. The fit is tight but not uncomfortable and they are soft enough not to come loose even when you eat. I can shoot at a match surrounded by braked .308s and still be comfortable. Definitely going to keep a couple of sets around.

A silencer will reduce 308 by at least 25db and they are not hearing safe. But this 16db plug makes braked 308s "comfortable"? Either he was already deaf or this is a shill post.

An AR15 is 165db. Even with the plug nub inserted, these only reduce that to 150db. Hearing safe for ONE shot has to be below 140db. Hearing damage is a function of intensity AND exposure time.

It's really WAY more than the 16-19 listed on the packages. They just have that on there because of some stupid regulation about what can be claimed. The reality is more like 35-39 db.  Look here:  http://www.surefire.com/pdfs/ep3-ep4_tech_copy.pdf
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the cheap orange ones that they sell at Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I wear earplugs every day at work, and the best performing, most comfortable are made by EAR. They are yellow porous foam, which makes them not as good for wash and recycle but there is not better earplug for wearing all day in extremely noisy environments.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like the cheap orange ones that they sell at Wal-Mart.

+1 I actually use Mack's at wal-mart...they are light blue color.  Re-usable custom made earplugs?  Some of you guys are nuts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I like the ones they sell at Home Depot. Comfortable and durable.

Oh, and fairly cheap.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for Surefires
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#18]
removed
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#19]
EAR Inc makes some pretty sweet earplugs.  They have a product called Insta-Mold that you have to have custom fit to your ear from an authorized reseller.

Insta-Mold

I don't use them, but everyone who works for Shooters Express in Gaston County seems to have a set around their necks (they sell them there).
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Surefire EP3 for the win
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Custom fit Noisebrakers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I like the peltor ear plugs

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Can't believe no one put a pic of a suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#24]
My finger in one and my glock in the other ear

Learned it from the ATF
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My finger in one and my glock in the other ear

Learned it from the ATF

If a varmint surprises me, I'll put a finger in one ear, and press my other ear into my strong side shoulder. It takes skill, but I make the shot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I picked up 2 pairs of SureFire EP4's and 1 pair of EP3's as "give aways" from the SureFire booth at a conference last month. The 4's fit me better and are my first choice now. They stay in as long as I'm on the range. I do keep a set of muffs handy if anything over .22 LR is on the line.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Surefire EP3 for the win

this
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too

NSR 16 db? lol.

The way EPA makes them measure things does not affect reality.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
9mm spent brass

In my younger years, I used to shoot with an old guy who use spent .38 special brass for ear plugs!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#30]

I use Peltors as well, but mine are corded, translucent green, and single-sided. I have used the doubled-sided ones in the past, but switched to the green singles as they are easier to keep around with the cord (and I never used the double-sided feature).

Quoted:
Can't believe no one put a pic of a suppressor.

Still waiting on the F4's...

Actually, most of the time I wear muffs, as I am primarily a handgun shooter. Of course I wear my Peltor plugs for rifles and shotguns, but they are rarely out when I'm just shooting handguns.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
9mm spent brass

In my younger years, I used to shoot with an old guy who use spent .38 special brass for ear plugs!

Never seen that one, but I used to know a guy who used cigarette butts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I just use foam ones that are rated around 29-32 db.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Free ones from work.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#34]
For inexpensive (bulk) corded plugs that you want to use quickly these rock: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3WE32  I use them at work quite often.

The best ones I had were fitted earplugs.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Howard Leight MAX plugs.  Cheap, disposable, and effective.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too

NSR 16 db? lol.

The previous link posted doesn't explain much of how that works. How can normal foam earplugs be rated at 29db but these not if they block just as much? Still sounds fishy. And the EP3s rang my ears even with the little plugs in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Hearos and peltors
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too

NSR 16 db? lol.

The previous link posted doesn't explain much of how that works. How can normal foam earplugs be rated at 29db but these not if they block just as much? Still sounds fishy. And the EP3s rang my ears even with the little plugs in.

I am not familiar enough with how the NRR is established, but I have heard repeatedly that the more customized earplugs get lower ratings.  It may have something to do with part of the test protocol requiring them to not be fully inserted, to reflect careless workers - in such cases the foamies have a distinct advantage.

I never wore by EP3s except when also under my Peltor Comtacs, so I honestly never attempted a side by side comparison.

EDIT:

My cursory searching has found this little blurb on a site selling musician's earplugs, which may shed some light on the issue:

The EPA requires manufacturers to print a noise reduction rating (NRR) on all non-custom earplugs. The NRR for ER•20s is 12 dB, but actual clinical measurements of properly inserted ER•20s indicate that these earplugs provide almost equal sound reduction (20 dB) at all frequencies in real ears. The required formula used to determine NRR includes an adjustment for individual variability and for those persons who do not wear ear protection as instructed. Many investigators have found no consistent rank order correlation between the real-world NRRs and labeled NRRs. NRR is computed from laboratory data that are not representative of the values attained in the real world by actual users.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme-nrr.aspx
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I work around Airplanes all day and use the Surefires They are AWESOME!  I can be in the hell hole and they work great,  Even got a couple guys on my crew a pair and they love them as well.  The nice thing about the Surefires is that you can still talk normally and hear normally when talking when they are in, yet they block out the Jet Engine noise and APU.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#40]
skull screws

Most comfortable disposable plugs ive found yet.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
skull screws

Most comfortable disposable plugs ive found yet.

same here.
I use to use hardhat muffs at work but they just got too friggen hot in the summer
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Marriage.

After several years of marriage I can tune-out annoying noises very easily.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

These plus muffs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#44]
i use the surefires
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I just bought a pair of these and really like them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

These plus muffs.

As I think I advocated in a previous thread here...can't find it...

I can get to sound like a broken record about hearing protection, so sorry if you've heard it all before.

Well here's some of the original from EDCforums:
(Cliff's notes -put plugs all the way into your ear, wear with muffs and frequent shooting will still damaging your hearing)
(not advocating the particular sources of products, just the products)

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
I used to spend a lot of time in muffs and have lost enough hearing to REALLY care.  Believe me, lot's of people get all caught up in which model does what cool thing -at the expense of considering the base level NRR of the muff.

There are many cool models with interesting claims about breaking up and distributing the loud sounds, etc, etc -it doesn't matter.  Good electronic muffs are going to stop and start doing what they do so fast (their job) you aren't going to miss anything but the gunshot.

If they don't publish a NRR you don't want them.  I know the NRR is not perfect -it's for continous sounds in certain ranges not gunshots-  (believe me I've been round and round on this) but it's the standard we have to work with.

You are only going to be wearing your active muffs during home defense or when you are in the middle of range time that absolutely requires that you hear instructions well.

Here's the info that will really save your hearing:

Wear plugs and muffs at the same time.
These plugs - http://www.coopersafety.com/item/100334/Howard-Leight-Max-Uncorded-Earplugs.aspx

Put your earplugs INTO your ear canal.  If someone can immediately tell you have them in, they are not in right.  Look at the diagram on the box/bag/packet - they should be so far in that they are hard to get ahold of to remove.  If background noise sounds the same whether you have your hands over your ears or not they should be in ok.

Wear these muffs - http://www.websoft-solutions.net/ear_muffs_howard_leight_earmuffs_p/hrltltgermf.htm
whenever you can.

AND get eye protection that does not interfere with the seal of the muffs against your head.  They need to be on a flat, elastic band around your head.  Regular temples on glasses, sunglasses, and average safety glasses open up a big gap between the muff and your head.  AOSafety makes some good ones, worst case get some Wilson racketball glasses at Walmart.

...hearing damage is cummulative and does not give you protection from future loss, many centerfire calibers in common guns produce levels of sound for which there is NO adequate protection.  Go ahead and read that again.  33db rated plugs + 31db rated muffs might possibly = 35db NRR, .223, .308, .357sig all commonly measured in 150+db ranges; you do the math.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#47]
I've heard that muffs also help deaden harmful vibration transmitted through the jaw and skull by the rifle stock.  They tend to interfere with my cheek weld at times though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Silencio
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#49]
I love my Surefires.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top