Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 9:10:07 PM EDT

Police officer arrested for threatening driver in own driveway

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Police-officer-arrested-for-threatening-driver-in/nowLArr5Rk-ek0aBz1IqWw.cspx

Reported by:
Chad Cookler

Last Update: 9:57 pm

SARASOTA, FL –– An off-duty police officer with the city of Longboat
Key was arrested Wednesday after Sarasota Police say she threatened a
woman after she tried to turn her car around in the officer's driveway.

Investigators
said Jill Campbell had just picked up her two kids and another child at
Southside Elementary School when she pulled into officer Patricia
Beardsley's driveway, so that she could turn her car around. As soon as
she pulled into the driveway, Campbell said she saw Beardsley come out
the front door holding a handgun.

As she got close to the car,
police say she raised the weapon and pointed it at the passenger side
of the car, where Campbell's daughter was sitting. The daughter said
the officer was yelling at her mother as she walked towards the car.

The girl jumped into the backseat and laid on the floorboard, afraid that she would be shot, according to an arrest affidavit.

Beardsley
later told officers she had cursed at Campbell, but denied pulling a
gun at her. She claimed it was a cell phone that she pointed at the car.

She was arrested and charged with aggravated assault.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
IBII
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Penis envy?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#4]
What?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]
"Get off my lawn driveway!"
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I see a pic of a revolver, some cuffs, and some police tape. I do not see a likeness or characterization of the perp in the pic. I guess the gun did it.

Fucking media scum.

Yeah, not too bright on the perps end. I guess she will get to see how lockup works from the other side of the bars this time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm conflicted about this.

I don't think people should be using other people's driveways as their personal U-turn lanes. It's discourteous, and disrespectful.

That said, the cop lady was way the fuck over the top pulling a gun on someone for that, even if it was her own property. Cops on ARFCOM tell us all the time that we can't just go pulling guns on people on our own property because we never know if it's an undercover cop or something.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Definitely not the whole story.  Maybe the cop was expecting someone else to pull in her driveway, or thought she recognized the car, or who knows what.  They don't even know if a gun was involved?  Wtf.

Chad, figure out whether you're a journalist or a dictation secretary.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, that ain't gonna buff out
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#11]
woman cop go figure
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#13]
the fuck?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
the fuck?

What?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#16]
SARASOTA - A Suncoast police officer has been charged with Aggravated Assault with a Firearm, when she reportedly pulled out a gun and aimed it at a car with a mother and three children inside.

Sarasota police arrested Officer Patricia Beardsley Wednesday, after 911 calls came in saying someone was waving a gun at a driver.  Detectives determined it was a fellow law enforcement officer; Officer Beardsley is employed by the Longboat Key Police Department.

A Suncoast mother says she was just picking up her kids from school when she pulled into the officer's driveway to turn around.  That's when the trouble began.

When school is letting out at Southside Elementary, cars can be lined up and it can be tough to get around.  "The area is congested...just by where the school is located," says Sarasota mother Jill Campbell.

Campbell was parked on Bougainvillea Street after picking up her two kids and a classmate.  They were ready to head to church.  As Campbell was turning her vehicle around in a driveway, that's when she says a woman came out of the house.  "I saw the woman coming out of the door, and my daughter said she has a gun...and that's when she hit the deck."

Campbell says the kids jumped to the floor of the vehicle as the woman approached the car.  "This woman clearly thought about what she was going to do.  She was waiting in the doorway for somebody to pull into the driveway, and she already planned she was going to take this action," says Campbell.

Campbell got away and quickly called 911.

Detectives say just ten minutes prior to the incident, Officer Beardsley called 911 herself to complain about cars lined up on Bougainvillea Street.

"People are continuing to park on that street.  There are parents who pull into that driveway and back out of that driveway, and it is a scary situation to have somebody that has those kind of weapons as easily as she did point them at children," says Campbell.

She just wants to make sure other parents are aware of the situation.  "I think that the community at large places these people at a higher standard, and we look at them to protect us, to take care of us, to look out for the well-being of us."

In the police report, Officer Beardsley says it was a cell phone that she pointed at the Campbells –– not a gun.  Another witness who saw the incident claims it was a gun.

Police also say they found a sign in the back window of the officer's personal car that warned "trespassers will be shot," then listed several different types of guns.

According to the Longboat Key Police Department, Officer Beardsley is on administrative leave without pay.

Video
http://www.mysuncoast.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=4138028&at1=News&h1=Longboat Key officer charged with aggravated battery&flvUri=&thirdpartymrssurl=

ETA: Pipl search of her
http://www.pipl.com/search/?FirstName=Patricia++&LastName=Beardsley+&City=Sarasota&State=FL&Country=US&CategoryID=2&Interface=1

white pages
http://www.whitepages.com/16176/track/10215/search/Replay?search_id=61171343120024166871&lower=2&more_info=1
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think people should be using other people's driveways as their personal U-turn lanes. It's discourteous, and disrespectful.

That said, the cop lady was way the fuck over the top pulling a gun on someone for that, even if it was her own property. Cops on ARFCOM tell us all the time that we can't just go pulling guns on people on our own property because we never know if it's an undercover cop or something.

"IF" A GUN WAS PULLED ................. "after all people never lie"

I guess cops never lie either.

How many people have been shot by cops for pointing non-gun objects at them?

Don't get this confused with bashing. I'm not bashing, just pointing out that there's no reason to trust or distrust either of the parties in this story as presented.

If she was arrested, it seems that at the very least the arresting officers thought there was enough evidence to suggest she pointed a gun and not a cell phone, so which cop do you believe? The one who freaked out and ran outside because someone turned around in their driveway, or the one who arrested her?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

woman cop go figure

You know, that's the first thing that popped into my head...  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't get this confused with bashing. I'm not bashing, just pointing out that there's no reason to trust or distrust either of the parties in this story as presented.

If she was arrested, it seems that at the very least the arresting officers thought there was enough evidence to suggest she pointed a gun and not a cell phone, so which cop do you believe? The one who freaked out and ran outside because someone turned around in their driveway, or the one who arrested her?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:y3nII0pT6gmiAM:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gygnPvyARJ8/STLHaGOAJtI/AAAAAAAAARY/3NHQMF7HC04/s400/good-grief-charlie-brown.jpg

Good fucking grief.

Bah!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#21]
This is her classmates.com profile
http://www.classmates.com/directory/public/memberprofile/list.htm?regId=7372826684&s=77041

This is her profile quote:  "Workplace Scoopin up the bad guys and takin'em off to jail "
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Although we don't know the whole story, there must have been enough evidence to arrest this officer.

What's scarry is that a trianed LEO got so out of control to pull a gun on a mothe rand her kids.

Kids generally don't lie about a tramatic experience. A whole car load of kids are not going to be able to stick to one false story to convince the investigators.

For whatever reason.... this LEO might need some mental help or more.

It's just too bad cause I support the majority of LEO and the hard / crappy jobs they have.

Let this be a lesson to everyone with firearms. There is no place in society for firearms when you can't control your anger. If you think so, you need to get pepper spray and not a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:y3nII0pT6gmiAM:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gygnPvyARJ8/STLHaGOAJtI/AAAAAAAAARY/3NHQMF7HC04/s400/good-grief-charlie-brown.jpg
Good fucking grief.

What he said sounded rather logical to me.  At this point we don't know who is lying.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://www.classmates.com/directory/public/memberprofile/list.htm?regId=7372826684&s=77041

This is her profile quote:  "Workplace Scoopin up the bad guys and takin'em off to jail "

Not no more she isn't.  Fucking nutjob.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow. I thought that I was paranoid.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:50:10 PM EDT
[#26]
A cop arrested another cop.

Arfocm's collective head is about to explode!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I like that quote.  I don't think it reflects poorly on an LEO at all.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is an okay quote but I posted it for the Irony.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's okay, but think about what people could dig up from you if you were in jail after a self defense shooting.

For all we know, she's been an excellent police officer up until this thing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's okay, but think about what people could dig up from you if you were in jail after a self defense shooting.

And that lessens the severity of her misdeed exactly how?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Did any of the rabid cop bashers in this thread catch the fact that the off-duty officer was arrested?
I presume that since she was arrested, it must have been other police arresting her.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that lessens the severity of her misdeed exactly how?

I never said that it did.

What I said was that a harmless classmates.com quote doesn't increase the severity of her misdeed.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Did any of the rabid cop bashers in this thread catch the fact that the off-duty officer was arrested?
I presume that since she was arrested, it must have been other police arresting her.

The responses so far in this thread have been mild.

The fact that she was arrested is a good sign. I think that alot of the ferocity in the thread about the off duty cop that assaulted and handcuffed the bluetooth slut came from the fact that the police failed to arrest the offending off duty cop.

I wonder why the officer in this thread was so affraid of a woman and childern pulling into her driveway? Did she think she was being followed? Is she a crazy dike that hates straight folk and the children they produce?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:39:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I went back and looked through the thread and didn't see any "cop bashing", rabid or otherwise.
Now, there are plenty of people who have expressed their distaste for the crazed criminal assailant who threatened a mother and child with a gun, and I'm sure everyone here is more than happy that the criminal got arrested by the cops for the crime she is suspected of committing.
You see, there's this line that once crossed, makes you a criminal. It's called "committing a crime".
Personally, I'm of the opinion that the condition of being a criminal,
and the occupation of police officer are mutually exclusive, meaning
you can be one or the other, but not both. And if there is some insignificant crime that is so slight that you feel it shouldn't disqualify one from being a police officer, then I propose that it's an activity that shouldn't be a crime at all.
So, since this person committed a crime, she is not a cop, and nobody
is "cop bashing", only praising the good work and the outstanding
integrity shown by the arresting officers in taking into custody
someone who was (until the crime) "one of their own". Cops that arrest
bad cops (criminals) are a special breed and deserve the utmost respect
and admiration for what they do.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:38:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I went back and looked through the thread and didn't see any "cop bashing", rabid or otherwise.

Now, there are plenty of people who have expressed their distaste for the crazed criminal assailant who threatened a mother and child with a gun, and I'm sure everyone here is more than happy that the criminal got arrested by the cops for the crime she is suspected of committing.

You see, there's this line that once crossed, makes you a criminal. It's called "committing a crime".

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the condition of being a criminal,and the occupation of police officer are mutually exclusive, meaningyou can be one or the other, but not both. And if there is some insignificant crime that is so slight that you feel it shouldn't disqualify one from being a police officer, then I propose that it's an activity that shouldn't be a crime at all.

So, since this person committed a crime, she is not a cop, and nobodyis "cop bashing", only praising the good work and the outstandingintegrity shown by the arresting officers in taking into custodysomeone who was (until the crime) "one of their own". Cops that arrestbad cops (criminals) are a special breed and deserve the utmost respectand admiration for what they do.

+1

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:53:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Although we don't know the whole story, there must have been enough evidence to arrest this officer.

What's scarry is that a trianed LEO got so out of control to pull a gun on a mothe rand her kids.

Kids generally don't lie about a tramatic experience. A whole car load of kids are not going to be able to stick to one false story to convince the investigators.

For whatever reason.... this LEO might need some mental help or more.

It's just too bad cause I support the majority of LEO and the hard / crappy jobs they have.

Let this be a lesson to everyone with firearms. There is no place in society for firearms  you when you can't control your anger. If you think so, you need to get pepper spray and not a firearm.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:56:56 AM EDT
[#38]
But...but, the thin blue line!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#39]
I thought that it was impossible for police to break the law, because they make it up as they go through their taxpayer funded day. All of this while wearing taxpayer funded clothes and with taxpayer funded cars and equipment.
Boy was I wrong
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:25:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I do it all day long as about 1/2 the GP can't figure out how to number their mailbox or house.

The officer should have been cooling her heels behind bars.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

"IF" A GUN WAS PULLED ................. "after all people never lie"

Sounds like more then a few people called it in. Multiple witnesses.

She sounds like the right age for menopause. Must have been having a "hot flash".

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:35:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A cop arrested another cop.

Arfocm's collective head is about to explode!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:39:44 AM EDT
[#43]

I'm willing to bet her driveway gets used as a U-turn lane Mon-Fri at least 100 times a day.  A better solution would have been to put spike strips down.

And I'm conflicted too.....going on someone else's property......hmmmm.

But before I spout off I'll wager there is alot more to this story not being reported.....even if what's not reported makes the lady in the van look like an angel and the cop a devil......there is still alot not being reported.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:48:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm willing to bet her driveway gets used as a U-turn lane Mon-Fri at least 100 times a day.  A better solution would have been to put spike strips down.

And I'm conflicted too.....going on someone else's property......hmmmm.

But before I spout off I'll wager there is alot more to this story not being reported.....even if what's not reported makes the lady in the van look like an angel and the cop a devil......there is still alot not being reported.

She lives near a school, every driveway is subjected to this once or twice a day. Just the way it is and with schools cutting back on bussing, it's not going to get any better in the future.

She should have realized this when she bought the house and it is NOT illegal in any way to use a driveway as a turn around. ROW extends about a car length off the actual road at a minimum.

Would I like it if it was my driveway? Nope. Would I figure I had to deal with it? Yep. I'd probably just cone the stupid driveway off with something before I'd think about drawing a weapon on a woman and kids.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:51:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

There should be no conflict...as you just said, the cop was WAY OUT OF LINE.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Ok raise your hand if you think this is 1) The only time that woman used the other lady's personal property as her own little turn around and 2) if that lady is the only one who has done that.

Everyone on this board would have been up in arms if people just turned around on your property and blocked the road every day.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:03:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ok raise your hand if you think this is 1) The only time that woman used the other lady's personal property as her own little turn around and 2) if that lady is the only one who has done that.

Everyone on this board would have been up in arms if people just turned around on your property and blocked the road every day.

And we STILL wouldn't have gone out and pulled a gun on them..........................

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:36:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And we STILL wouldn't have gone out and pulled a gun on them..........................

+1

Orange traffic cones likely would've been more effective if she really didin't like people using her driveway.

And I did have people using my property to turn around in.  Not even a driveway,  but a yard or two of my side yard.  Fixed it by talking to the neighbors who told the teens doing it to stop.  Next step was large landscaping rocks.  Using a gun never entered the equation.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:40:22 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I generally don't head out the door with my guns when somebody is turning around in my drive.  

Different strokes for different folks I guess.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I generally don't head out the door with my guns when somebody is turning around in my drive.  

Different strokes for different folks I guess.  

+1.  Doesn't matter how often people have done it.  People turn around in my driveway a few times a week.  Do I like it?  Of course not.  But I don't race outside to confront the threat with my guns when they do.  If she (or I, or anyone else here) had such a huge problem with it, she could have used cones or something, as other people have said.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top