Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 8:18:33 PM EDT
I'm looking at buying a 1995 to 2001 Wrangler. Just as a second sorta fun vehicle. What  are the very basics that you must have? Would you consider a 4cyl or is 6cyl a must? Full metal doors, hard top, A/C?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
6 cyl with out a doubt

Jeeps are fun, can get addicting and are total money pits.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]
6 cylinder no  other way to go.
Your preference on the doors
Your in Texas I personally would prefer AC
I have dual tops hard and soft.  once again your preference but if only one I would prefer soft to be able to open it

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm looking at buying a 1995 to 2001 Wrangler. Just as a second sorta fun vehicle. What  are the very basics that you must have? Would you consider a 4cyl or is 6cyl a must? Full metal doors, hard top, A/C?

Get a 97 or up, if you plan to wheel it on the rocks, get an auto.  D44 is a must, as well as the I6 (at least IMHO).  I've got ~10K invested in my 99, and that's after the purchase price.  I've still got another few K to go till I "think" I'm finished.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Aiden's right.

TJ only

I still miss my '97 TJ SE

I have a new Tacoma...and I still miss my TJ like you can't believe.

If I could, I'd have a TJ for eternity and no other vehicle would even come close for me.

HH
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a 97 or up, if you plan to wheel it on the rocks, get an auto.  D44 is a must, as well as the I6 (at least IMHO).  I've got ~10K invested in my 99, and that's after the purchase price.  I've still got another few K to go till I "think" I'm finished.

Dunno about the auto. It's better in many respects, but you can't crank it over a rock with the starter. You can with a manual.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. I have an 07 JK; I had a 92 YJ and a 2001 TJ. All were autos, all had the 4 liter I6 until the latest incarnation which has a 3.8 V6.

As a SHTF vehicle, auto or manual will fit the bill. The manual gives you more options if you make the tires big and go serious, serious offroading. The automatic makes the previous statement easier. Tradeoff; easier or more options...

The other comments (it will cost you, etc) are correct. The only thing more customizable than a jeep is a bare chassis...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno about the auto. It's better in many respects, but you can't crank it over a rock with the starter. You can with a manual.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. I have an 07 JK; I had a 92 YJ and a 2001 TJ. All were autos, all had the 4 liter I6 until the latest incarnation which has a 3.8 V6.

As a SHTF vehicle, auto or manual will fit the bill. The manual gives you more options if you make the tires big and go serious, serious offroading. The automatic makes the previous statement easier. Tradeoff; easier or more options...

The other comments (it will cost you, etc) are correct. The only thing more customizable than a jeep is a bare chassis...

You don't need to crank it over the rocks with an auto...you just crawl over if your gears are setup right.  

I'd also disagree that manual give more options...I'm running 33's now, and going to 35's soon.  The same upgrades need to be made to both auto and manual.  

For sports cars, I'll take a stick every time, but for Jeeps?  Auto all the way.

ETA:  My Heep...no action shots on that run, as I was the only one with a camera.  It's Wheeler lake, CO.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup.  Big difference between '95 and the others.  '95 was still the YJ with square headlights and leaf suspension, as opposed to round headlights and coil suspension.   Definitely a 4.0.  6 cyl.  It's one of the best engines ever made IMHO, and opposed to the anemic 4 bangers.  Bear in mind, you're talking to an Alaskan.....but...I HATE HATE HATE soft tops.  noisy as hell, high maintenance, a pain in the ass to remove or put on, stretching, tearing, stuck zippers, cold, etc.  My hard top comes on and off quicker than the soft top, although it does require a bit of ingenuity or a helping hand.  Depending on your intended purpose, you may or may not need a Dana 44 and may be able to get by with the standard Dana 35 and 3:07 gearing with an open diff.  If you're not looking to run a locker, or tires much larger than 31", you should be able to manage just fine.  If you want lockers, 33" or larger tires, drive very agressively, etc. you'll want a Dana 44, or at least a Ford 8.8  I consider a roofrack and a winch to be big priorities, personally, but we all have different ideas.  If you haven't noticed, the Dana 35 is kinda like the villain of the jeep world.

If you get a jeep and ever have a problem with too much cash left at the end of the month, http://www.quadratech.com or http://www.4wdhardware.com will certainly help rectify the problem.

You've seen the stickers?  Just Empty Every Pocket?  It's pretty damn accurate.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't need to crank it over the rocks with an auto...you just crawl over if your gears are setup right.  

I'd also disagree that manual give more options...I'm running 33's now, and going to 35's soon.  The same upgrades need to be made to both auto and manual.  

For sports cars, I'll take a stick every time, but for Jeeps?  Auto all the way.

...and the price of gearing an auto that way, vs a manual? Plus being able to crawl without a running motor? With a proper transfer box and gearing, you can literally keyturn your way over things...can't do that with an auto. If you're at an extreme angle on an old YJ w/carburation, or even a built TJ with a carburator vs injection...you can either wait for a tow, or try the starter motor..

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and the price of gearing an auto that way, vs a manual? Plus being able to crawl without a running motor? With a proper transfer box and gearing, you can literally keyturn your way over things...can't do that with an auto. If you're at an extreme angle on an old YJ w/carburation, or even a built TJ with a carburator vs injection...you can either wait for a tow, or try the starter motor..

All TJ's are fuel injected...and the torque converter makes your gearing seem to be even lower in 4lo 1st gear in an auto...it doesn't need to try to limp over obstacles, it just crawls over them.

Oh, the the price of gearing is the same for an auto or a manual, it has nothing to do with the tranny...the gears are in the diffs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#10]
tagscribe
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Go 97 or newer.  Don't even think about a 4cyl,  I def recommend the full doors, and the hard top is nice especially in winter.    Get a manual as well, real jeeps have manuals, an automatic doesn't belong in a Wrangler unless you are going to be doing some super crazy rock crawling, a manual is just plain more fun to drive around.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Go 97 or newer.  Don't even think about a 4cyl,  I def recommend the full doors, and the hard top is nice especially in winter.    Get a manual as well, real jeeps have manuals, an automatic doesn't belong in a Wrangler unless you are going to be doing some super crazy rock crawling, a manual is just plain more fun to drive around.

Jeeps belong on rocks...  Mine's not quite ready to run with the big boys, but I'm working on it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Shit I have been thinking of buying a jeep.Just for fun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeeps belong on rocks...  Mine's not quite ready to run with the big boys, but I'm working on it.

You have a nice looking jeep, they belong in Mud but when I mean rock crawling, I mean the hardcore stuff that you wouldn't drive your Jeep to, or at least I sure hope you have some dana 60s and an on board welder.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Fun vehicle if you like rolling down the side of a cliff due to the short wheel base.

Jeeps.

Defender 90.

70's era Land Cruiser.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a nice looking jeep, they belong in Mud but when I mean rock crawling, I mean the hardcore stuff that you wouldn't drive your Jeep to, or at least I sure hope you have some dana 60s and an on board welder.

Come on up, and I'll show you more trails than you can count where an auto is the only way to go.  I finally did Holy Cross trail, and was thankful for an auto.  I had to winch over french creek, but with 35's I think I could have made it.  I'm locked front and rear btw.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fun vehicle if you like rolling down the side of a cliff due to the short wheel base.

Jeeps.

Defender 90.

70's era Land Cruiser.

Meh, mom mobiles...  

Only CJ's were really prone to rolling...but I still want one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Drop a V8 in it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jeeps.

Defender 90.

70's era Land Cruiser.

Meh, mom mobiles...

Only CJ's were really prone to rolling...but I still want one.
we've got an 84' scrambler for sale

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever.
if you mostly do hard core rock crawling get the auto.
I prefer the manual since it works better in the deserts of northern Nevada where you can be a long ways from anything with long descents.
4.0 ftw and leaf springs all the way.
94 YJ here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Jeeps.

Defender 90.

70's era Land Cruiser.

[/quote

What part of Jeep Wrangler owners did you not understand?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever.
if you mostly do hard core rock crawling get the auto.
I prefer the manual since it works better in the deserts of northern Nevada where you can be a long ways from anything with long descents.
4.0 ftw and leaf springs all the way.
94 YJ here.

meant wahtever to the fj better at not rolling over than a Jeep. My Quote Fu is weak.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Has anyone else noticed how absurdly low the GVWR/payload rating is on Jeeps? By the time you add a hardtop, bigger tires, and a winch, you're pretty much at the max payload with two average adults and a small child, which leaves very little for luggage, tents, coolers, etc.

Do you Jeep owners just ignore the weight ratings?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jeeps.

Defender 90.

70's era Land Cruiser.

[/quote

The part where you guy keep rolling the damn things off cliffs and talking about how great they are.

Defenders and Land Cruisers are not as prone to this as the Jeeps.

IMO all Jeep owners are Darwin candidates.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Shit I have been thinking of buying a jeep.Just for fun.

So you're back to work?  Good, I know it was tough for a while.

My wife and I were looking to grab a Wrangler, couldn't decide on what to get so we bought a new Honda Shadow instead.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeeps.

Defender 90.

70's era Land Cruiser.

[/quote

The part where you guy keep rolling the damn things off cliffs and talking about how great they are.

Then why don't you start your own fkn thread about Defenders and Land Cruisers? If anyone is interested in your lame ass ride they can post their comments there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeeps.

Defender 90.

70's era Land Cruiser.

[/quote

So, school me on how an FJ or a LC is less likely to roll over.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jeeps.

Defender 90.

70's era Land Cruiser.

[/quote

Then why don't you start your own fkn thread about Defenders and Land Cruisers? If anyone is interested in your lame ass ride they can post their comments there.

Just wanted to advise the OP against buying one so he does not kill himself.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jeeps.

Defender 90.

70's era Land Cruiser.

[/quote

So, school me on how an FJ or a LC is less likely to roll over.

The FJ or LC is not so bad stock but you guys just love to lift them up and put huge tires on them.

Also the short wheel base with the mods equals Darwin waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:  My Heep...no action shots on that run, as I was the only one with a camera.  It's Wheeler lake, CO.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/Aiden80013/IMG_0667.jpg

Dog looks like a jindo!

T
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Has anyone else noticed how absurdly low the GVWR/payload rating is on Jeeps? By the time you add a hardtop, bigger tires, and a winch, you're pretty much at the max payload with two average adults and a small child, which leaves very little for luggage, tents, coolers, etc.

Do you Jeep owners just ignore the weight ratings?

My yeep has little room for luggage, tents, coolers to start with anyways.

T
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jeeps.

Defender 90.

70's era Land Cruiser.

[/quote

Just wanted to advise the OP against buying one so he does not kill himself.

Use yer brain much?  Or do you prefer to just blather on without engaging it?

I hope your posts in general are more educated and well thought out than the examples seen in this thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top