Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/17/2009 8:04:01 PM EDT
I am renting a house that has more spiders than I've ever seen in my whole life.

I hate spiders.

I have an irrational fear of spiders.

They are fucking crawling all over the walls and floor. One jumped off the wall near this very computer monitor INTO the fucking pencil cup. WTF?

There are a bunch of different kinds, but lately they are these dark brown, dime sized "hunter-fast mover" types.

1) The house is clean.

2) It has a crawl space that I've briefly peered into. It is full of webs. I will not go into it. I will not even look into it again. I have never had a crawl space before. What is the purpose of this evil arachnid den?

3) What are my options? Exterminator? Bug Bomb? Will that drive them up into the house even more?

4) I fear this is in retribution for posting spider pics in DR. FRidge's posts.

5) A FUCKING SPIDER WAS ON THE CEILING ABOVE MY OPEN UNDERWEAR DRAWER. IT FELL IN! I TOOK EVERYTHING OUT OF THAT DAMN DRAWER, FOUND AND KILLED THE FUCKER.

HELP ME AR15.COM; YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
tag  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Dr.Frige will gladly take them.
Catch as many as you can and mail them to him.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Masking sticky side up on the floor along the wall will take care of a lot of the ground crawling ones.

Be glad you don't have this guy:

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Kill them with fire, its the only way.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#6]
shit me too, I got the chills just reading your damn post.
KILL ALL OF THEM BASTARDS.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
burn the place down
send landlord bill for extermination services
simple
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Btw the movie is on TNT right now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

THE BIGGEST ONE YET JUST RAN UNDER THE COUCH THAT MY WIFE AND I WERE SNUGGLING ON.

WE (by we I mean she) HAD TO MOVE THE COUCH, FIND IT AND HUNT IT WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE. IT WAS THE SIZE OF A HALF-DOLLAR, AND QUICK.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#10]
You can't go wrong with having a professional exterminator take care of them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Go to WalMart and buy a pump up sprayer.

Go a spider killing product like Demon or something similar.

Mix it twice as strong as the directions call for.

Cover EVERY square foot of the floor of your house.

No more bugs for at least 6 months.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I do agree with TBK's assessment though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Bug bomb, but they simply invade any way they can this time of year.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#14]
They are brown recluses and you must escape at once, wait, one just landed on your back, oh no, one's in your nostril . What kind of acid are you on.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Couch chickens is what you need.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Masking sticky side up on the floor along the wall will take care of a lot of the ground crawling ones.

http://deepsquats.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/clockspider.jpg

HOLY FUCK
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

THE BIGGEST ONE YET JUST RAN UNDER THE COUCH THAT MY WIFE AND I WERE SNUGGLING ON.

WE (by we I mean she) HAD TO MOVE THE COUCH, FIND IT AND HUNT IT WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE. IT WAS THE SIZE OF A HALF-DOLLAR, AND QUICK.

If you are on the west side, wait until you see a big one.  Think 4"
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#18]
plan a weekend vacation

set off 2 or 3 hundred bug bombs

?????

profit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Poisons and maybe some of those sticky cards along the baseboards.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#20]

There is a pear tree outside,  there are plenty of insects attracted to it.

Around the tree, there are webs with big, fat, orange-brown speckled spiders.  These don't bother me, because I can keep an eye on them... They are slow moving and stay outside.

I haven't really seen any insects inside the house, though.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Relax, take a few deep breaths.

As noted above, a few spiders aren't all that bad and can actually be your friends, in terms of how they will keep other pests under control.

An excess of spiders just needs to be controlled.  Just means nature got a little out of balance.

Clean out that crawlspace.  One of the most effective means of controlling spiders is "habitat denial."  Spiders don't like bright, open, airy, clean spaces.  They prefer clutter and junk to hide in.  Denying them habitat is half your battle.

Sprays are not very effective against spiders, unless you spray them directly.

Glue traps in the corners and along the floor near the walls will help get things under control.  Keep pets and small children away.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#23]
The Champ will show you how to get rid of anything with more than two legs FTMFW:

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I really do not recommend doing this.

Spiders have "book lungs" and are not terribly susceptible to indirect spraying.

However, indiscriminate spraying of poison IS good for one thing.

It is good for increasing your own chances of developing cancer.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am renting a house that has more spiders than I've ever seen in my whole life.

I hate spiders.

They are fucking crawling all over the walls and floor. One jumped off the wall near this very computer monitor INTO the fucking pencil cup. WTF?

There are a bunch of different kinds, but lately they are these dark brown, dime sized "hunter-fast mover" types.

1) The house is clean.

2) It has a crawl space that I've briefly peered into. It is full of webs. I will not go into it. I will not even look into it again. I have never had a crawl space before. What is the purpose of this evil arachnid den?

3) What are my options? Exterminator? Bug Bomb? Will that drive them up into the house even more?

5) A FUCKING SPIDER WAS ON THE CEILING ABOVE MY OPEN UNDERWEAR DRAWER. IT FELL IN! I TOOK EVERYTHING OUT OF THAT DAMN DRAWER, FOUND AND KILLED THE FUCKER.

You must realize he was just following his friends in there :)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Couch chickens is what you need.

Link?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I hate spiders.

1) The house is clean.

I'm about to swat at a tickle on my back.

I just saw a spider run at my face while laying in bed. I tried to kill it but it ran away and I then saw it's twin on the wall next to my bed.

I went into the office room the next morning and felt a soft tickle on my foot and it was the same type of spider.

I hate them more than anything. I have "seen" trees wrything like spiders"

I hate them and I hate insects.

But there is this fly that keeps on hanning around. The spider wants that fly.

If you can kill all spider food, you will have not spiders.

If you have no spiders, the spider food will eventualy crawl all overyou.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I dunno if Osage Orange trees are native to WA or not, but if they are go get some hedgeapples from the trees and put them all over your house. Just sort of place them everywhere you've seen spiders.

I thought someone was yanking my chain on this one, but we tried it in my mom's house (a spider mecca) and within a couple weeks no spiders or bugs at all....gone. Works great.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Make your wife get her ass off the couch and kill it. Tell her to make you a sandwich  and bring you a beer too while she's up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I too have an irrational fear of spiders.  My first house was similar to yours.  I bought it intending to fix it up.  It was old and porous, and there were spiders everywhere.  One night on a hard freeze, my pipes froze and burst in the crawl space.  I was poor, had no money to pay a plumber and had to fix them.  A friend came to help me, but I couldn't make him crawl in that den of satan's spawn if I wasn't willing to do it, so armed with a trouble light and a 60 watt bulb, I descended into hell.  Upon reaching my destination, I went to work, cutting out the burst PVC, and gluing in couplers and new lengths of pipe.  I'd all but forgotten the thousands of multi legged spleen suckers crawling around inches from my face.  I finished the job, and began the process of turning around to come out.

That's when I bumped the light on a floor joist and the bulb burned out.

I fucking lost it.  I swear I nearly made a new crawl space entry by bursting through the floor.  My buddy ran for another bulb as I had my little melt down.  

The moral of this story is, burn your house down and collect the insurance.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#33]
You're gonna hate this OP but it's true.  I FREAKIN LOVE SPIDERS.  All kinds of them.  And it freaks out everybody I know.  I love them because you will not have any other creepy crawlers in your house when you've got a healthy population of spiders. Healthy meaning a proper balance. And everybody knows my house rules...inlcuding the spiders.

Spiders are for predation and nothing else. If they get into lets say my gf's space....well, they gotta go...outside.  That's my rule.  She'll yell at me cause she's freaked out that she found a rouge in the bathtub. So I'll  go pick up the criminal (in my hand omfg!) and set him loose outside.  Easy peezy.

In other words, you won't know there are protected spiders in my house but they are there and I love to watch them operate.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#34]
did you move to Utah by chance?
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=7959439

by the way, don't do this
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really do not recommend doing this.

Spiders have "book lungs" and are not terribly susceptible to indirect spraying.

However, indiscriminate spraying of poison IS good for one thing.

It is good for increasing your own chances of developing cancer.

Sometimes you get terrible advice here and sometimes you get people who know what the fuck they are talking about.

When it comes to chemicals....I know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Read this
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://deepsquats.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/clockspider.jpg

FUCK YOU!   I was planning to sleep tonight.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You're gonna hate this OP but it's true.  I FREAKIN LOVE SPIDERS.  All kinds of them.  And it freaks out everybody I know.  I love them because you will not have any other creepy crawlers in your house when you've got a healthy population of spiders. Healthy meaning a proper balance. And everybody knows my house rules...inlcuding the spiders.

Spiders are for predation and nothing else. If they get into lets say my gf's space....well, they gotta go...outside.  That's my rule.  She'll yell at me cause she's freaked out that she found a rouge in the bathtub. So I'll  go pick up the criminal (in my hand omfg!) and set him loose outside.  Easy peezy.

In other words, you won't know there are protected spiders in my house but they are there and I love to watch them operate.

+1

Other than the cluster of black widows I found under a down-spout on the SE corner of my house I had to squash last summer, I almost NEVER kill spiders.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I Hate spiders! If they are outside then they are acceptable, once they wander into my domain they are dead!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate spiders.

1) The house is clean.

I'm about to swat at a tickle on my back.

I just saw a spider run at my face while laying in bed. I tried to kill it but it ran away and I then saw it's twin on the wall next to my bed.

I went into the office room the next morning and felt a soft tickle on my foot and it was the same type of spider.

I hate them more than anything. I have "seen" trees wrything like spiders"

I hate them and I hate insects.

But there is this fly that keeps on hanning around. The spider wants that fly.

If you can kill all spider food, you will have not spiders.

If you have no spiders, the spider food will eventualy crawl all overyou.

Brotha, the crack done fucked yo shit up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#41]
pics?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

pics?

No!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#43]

I F^&*in hate you  for that.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You're gonna hate this OP but it's true. I FREAKIN LOVE SPIDERS. All kinds of them. And it freaks out everybody I know. I love them because you will not have any other creepy crawlers in your house when you've got a healthy population of spiders. Healthy meaning a proper balance. And everybody knows my house rules...inlcuding the spiders.

Spiders are for predation and nothing else. If they get into lets say my gf's space....well, they gotta go...outside. That's my rule. She'll yell at me cause she's freaked out that she found a rouge in the bathtub. So I'll go pick up the criminal (in my hand omfg!) and set him loose outside. Easy peezy.

In your experience are these things going to be in my bedsheets and clothes?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I dunno if Osage Orange trees are native to WA or not, but if they are go get some hedgeapples from the trees and put them all over your house. Just sort of place them everywhere you've seen spiders.

I thought someone was yanking my chain on this one, but we tried it in my mom's house (a spider mecca) and within a couple weeks no spiders or bugs at all....gone. Works great.

+1  This really works

I'm from Kansas where Hedge trees are everywhere. Folks there use the hedge apples to keep spiders out of the basement.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Home defense
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#47]
BUG !!

you may wake up with big round areas..... oh.. never mind.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#48]

Now that was seriously uncalled for. I think I am going to have nightmares
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#49]
don't go to sleep. They'll swarm you.

sh*t, I'm kidding...call exterminator. There's too much food in/outside the house. Good luck.

ETA: Oh yeah - get a cat
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#50]

BWAAAHAAHAAA!!!!   LOL

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top