Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 7:34:38 PM EDT
Got it narrowed down to these two.

If you have another suggestion I welcome it.

Must be between $250-$400

BTW: Walmart is out of the free one's
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The engine will long outlast the pump.  Make sure you get a pressure washer that accepts "common" replacement pumps; example CAT replacement pumps.

The Honda motor sounds nice, but I would take a close look at the pump....

ETA: My first pressure washer was a Troy Build.  The pump lasted about 5 years and the Briggs motor was still going strong.  When I researched replacement pumps, they all sucked and cost about  75% of the original price.

I ended up buying this http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100663195&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100663195&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-google-_-D28X-_-100663195

So far it seems nice, but it's only a year old.....we will see.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the free one (when available).
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Walmart.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Do not waste your money on a cheap one. You will just be out your money and have nothing to show for it. I bought a Dewalt with an industrial Honda engine and a CAT pump for about 700 at Home Depot. It was money well spent. The cheap ones don't last more then one or two uses.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:41:22 AM EDT
[#6]
any other ideas?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:00:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just stick it under the cart, hope no one notices, then post about it on arfcom.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:15:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Walmart.

For $700 the OP could buy one for $350 now and just throw it away after 4 years and buy a brand new one again for $350.00

Buy the one with the Honda Motor.  Don't let the motor run for more than 45 seconds without spraying.  The water going through the pump keeps the pump cool.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

1 and 2 are both junk.

Get one with a GENUINE Honda engine and a tri-plex oil bath pump. A/R- General- Cat- Giant- Comet- Legacy are manufacture decent pumps for homeowners.

If you are needing this for something other that using it around your house, IM me and I will find you a distributor in your area that sells REAL equipment not the shit you find in box stores.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#10]
OP,
What will be the application for the washer? For my business I have an 8 hp, a 5 hp, and an electric. I use the electric more than the other two combined.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 and 2 are both junk.

Get one with a GENUINE Honda engine and a tri-plex oil bath pump. A/R- General- Cat- Giant- Comet- Legacy are manufacture decent pumps for homeowners.

If you are needing this for something other that using it around your house, IM me and I will find you a distributor in your area that sells REAL equipment not the shit you find in box stores.

This is the tickey if you can afford it. If it has a Honda Motor it will outlast the pump. You can get the rebuild parts for the Pump at any carwash service shop or off the internet. I personaly like Giant as they are easier to repiar IMHO then cats. Mind you general pumps are a bit cheeper in there parts...

Zar
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#12]
So basically if it's under $700 it's shit???
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just stick it under the cart, hope no one notices, then post about it on arfcom.

It's the thing to do!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Buy one from a pawn shop if they have one.  My local pawn shop has 7 pressure washers in right now.  Honda motor on 2 of them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get one with a GENUINE Honda engine and a tri-plex oil bath pump. A/R- General- Cat- Giant- Comet- Legacy are manufacture decent pumps for homeowners

+1.

Many of the cheapies have a "throwaway" pump - Not only is it not rebuildable or repairable, but you can't even change the oil in it!

Cheap pumps have a total life expectancy measured in tens of hours. Quality pumps last hundreds to thousands of hours between rebuilds.

The quality of the hose, connectors and wand is another major difference. With the cheapies, you get plastic connectors, a thin, burst-prone hose and a flimsy wand that only fits your particular model. The good stuff includes a beefy hose with stainless steel and brass quick-disconnect fittings, and a rugged wand - with replacements available at just about any place that sells pressure washer supplies.

Note that Honda produces a rugged engine series, and several cheap engine series. The GX series is the rugged version - which is a horizontal-shaft model with a metal gas tank. Steer clear of Hondas with plastic gas tanks, and vertical-shaft lawnmower engines.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#16]
This one is $599 at Home Depot. Any good???

This one ok???
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:40:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This one is $599 at Home Depot. Any good???

This one ok???

My gut feeling is it is an under-horsepowerer hunk of junk. I'm very suspect of anyone who doesn't post their engines HP rating.

My dealer cost on a REAL commercial quality CAT pump is around $500. That's my cost and I get better discounts that 90% of the distributors in the US because of our volume. How good could that unit really be?

I honestly haven't looked at what is being sold nowadays at Lowes, Home Depot, Sams, ect but start with a GX series Honda. Get one that has an oil bath tri-plex pump.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:54:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I own the RIGID with the CAT pump and love it.I know a few others with the same one and use it heavily,and they work great and have been trouble free.I've had many cheapies in the past,and there's NO comparison.For the money you can't beat it .
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:00:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a honda 2,500 psi from Lowes that I got for about $275 at the time.  It has had no problems but I need more power.  It takes me quite a while to do the driveway and the porches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top