Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 6:47:23 PM EDT

My wife bought me this guitar from Mars Music when they were in business back some time around 2000.  It is a Epiphone Les Paul Studio.  I have searched and searched and cannot find any info on what the name of the color is or seen any others like it, so I am assuming it is some kind of limited run.  It reminds me of a pastel blue / California / 50's type design.  

According to the serial number look up it is:

Your guitar was made at the
Unsung Plant, Korea
January 2000
Production Number: 2540

I also remember that at the time, they were selling another black Les Paul with a whammy bar that did not have humbuckers but rather, coil pick ups like on a Strat.  I'd love to know more about those too.  Interesting.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTML (In before the master luthier)

I've never seen that color in a Gibson before but if it was a fender it would be close to Seafoam Green.

Thats interesting.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the color is 'seafoam'
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#3]
looks like sea foam green.

its a korean made epiphone les paul, not much to say other than its an average guitar.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah , looks real similar to Fender's seafoam green , I imagine it's  one of the more limited runs.......looks like baby puke :D
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#5]
That's about as far as it get's from a real Les Paul.

Except for the name.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you considered posting this in the music forum?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's about as far it get's from a real Les Paul.

Except for the name.

why?  because of origin of manufacture?  But, it has a nifty "inspected in the USA" sticker on the neck .  Are you one of these guys that discounts Mexican Strats too?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for the name.

why?  because of origin of manufacture?  But, it has a nifty "inspected in the USA" sticker on the neck .  Are you one of these guys that discounts Mexican Strats too?

everyone should discount ALL Strats...get a G&L
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have you considered posting this in the music forum?

no, I forgot about the music forum.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm a master luthier...

Yes, you have a Korean Epiphone Les Paul...I could tell just by looking at how thin the body is.

I'm not sure what color it is, but if you are wondering if it has any added value because of it, the answer is no.

They are "decent" playing, entry-level guitars. It's worth anywhere between $100 and $200

Gibson BARELY cared about what went on overseas, so they probably do not even know what the color is...lol.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for the name.

Most of them are made in Korea!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for the name.

Yes  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for the name.

Most of them are made in Korea!

not mine
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#14]
MIne either.  Fullerton all the way.  Pre-CBS.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm a master luthier...

Yes, you have a Korean Epiphone Les Paul...I could tell just by looking at how thin the body is.

I'm not sure what color it is, but if you are wondering if it has any added value because of it, the answer is no.

They are "decent" playing, entry-level guitars. It's worth anywhere between $100 and $200

Gibson BARELY cared about what went on overseas, so they probably do not even know what the color is...lol.

That's a shame.  It plays and sounds pretty good to me.  I wonder what the difference in the parts mainly are from a "real" Les Paul.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#16]
The korean LPs aren't bad players.......not worth anything outside of what value you put on it.

Epiphone also has plants in china , that puts out total crap (I should know).

My brother has one in transparent blue, great guitar till someone dropped it on a concrete floor ,and since then hasn't been the same.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I heard that some Epiphone Les Pauls are now coming from China, not Korea...

ETA: Confirmed by post above.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for the name.

The woods do not compare to ANYTHING in a "real" Les Paul. They may be tonewoods of some sort, but not "real" maple or mahogany.
The top is probably plywood. Glue is tones' enemy.
The electrics are cheap. If it was a great playing guitar, you could substitute with better pickups and pots.
The tuning machines are cheap, I don't even need to see them.
The way the structure of the guitar is built is absolutely not like a "real" Les Paul. Neck is not one piece...again, too much glue.

LOL, Im surprised CMJohnson isn't here yet.

ETA: I'm not saying that your guitar is crap...It's a decent guitar...and with enough processing, it can and will sound like almost any high-end guitar you want!

In before the "There is absolutely no way to reproduce the sound of a high-end LP with a low-end LP!" people.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Epiphone.....

At least I see a Peavey Bandit in the background, although my 5150 would dismember one of those hehe

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#20]
orly?

The Epiphone Les Paul 100 is the electric guitar you want, If you're starting to get serious about your music. The mahogany body with maple top delivers classic solid, heavy tone, while the bolt-on mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard are easy to play. Features 700T/650R open-coil humbucker pickups and chrome hardware. The Epiphone Les Paul 100 guitar features classic Les Paul design and tone.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I had one of these.  It played and sounded all right.  The headstock busted off at the nut after I had it for about a year.  Wouldn't buy another one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a master luthier...

That's a shame.  It plays and sounds pretty good to me.  I wonder what the difference in the parts mainly are from a "real" Les Paul.

All that really matters is how much you enjoy playing it. Don't let other's opinions tarnish your playing experience.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a master luthier...

As said, it's a decent starter guitar.

The main difference in parts between an Epiphone and Gibson is the quality of the wood and metal.  I've owned both, and Ephiphones have noticeably softer fret material, leading to gouging of the frets much sooner if you bend the strings alot, especially the thicker wound strings.

Also, it won't stay in tune quite as well, as the tuning machines are not as precise, and will slip and have "backlash" to a greater degree, causing issues when trying to stay in tune.

And the electronics will be ok, but not of the same quality and construction.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought a couple of Epiphones when I was stationed in ROK for $300 a piece, brand new in box...no matter what kind they were.  They had some real oddball configurations.  I ended up buying a Blackburst Les Paul Custom, a '76 Korina Reissue Explorer and a Popa Chubby signature Flying V, with P-90s on it, and a tortoise shell pick guard...all $300 while I was over there.  I sold all three of them for $1500 and bought my first .220 Swift with them in 2003.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#25]
As the owner of a 1977 Les Paul Custom, I would not be so bold as to even call that toy a Les Paul.

Of course, the 1959 Les Paul Custom owners would say the same about mine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm a master luthier...

100-200?  I think not.  It is a standard which would put it at 300-400.  

If you like the color and it plays well, I would upgrade the electronics or at least the caps in it and you can make it sound really good.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#27]
and us 1952 owners
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a master luthier...

100-200?  I think not.  It is a standard which would put it at 300-400.  

If you like the color and it plays well, I would upgrade the electronics or at least the caps in it and you can make it sound really good.

No, it's a Korean STUDIO...technically, it's worth even less than a Korean "standard". But it does not matter, you can buy Korean Epiphones (of any style) in any pawnshop all day long for less than $200.

And a word to the wise if you ever see a Gibson on Ebay that interests you...Absolutely stay away from any Gibson with 3 screws holding on the truss-rod cover...This guitar is legitimate as an Epiphone, but a REAL Gibson will NEVER have a 3-screw TRC.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#29]
That is NOT a Les Paul...Sorry!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Beetle dont listen to nay sayers.Play the guitar and amp you have until the frets are gone.Practice,practice, practice.Learn your scales, your cords, and the modes.More practice.I've seen a few guys waste the gear snobs using plywood body Kramers plugged into a cheap pa with what ever pedal was needed.Gear does not equal skill. And it was a gift from your wife.Keep it and play it.

And by the way you can liven up that bandit by putting a tube pre-amp in the effects loop.ADA was the thing back in the nineties.Now I dont know.

5150=  Overpriced noisy VTM.I sent so many back for service.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a master luthier...

All that really matters is how much you enjoy playing it. Don't let other's opinions tarnish your playing experience.

Agreed. Tone is mostly in your hands and your amp, no matter what any blowhard wants to crow in opposition. I've got 20 years of recording and gigging experience with every guitar from a Rickenbacker 360 to a cobbled together plywood Tele. They all sound different, but really at the end of the day marginally so and to whom is that difference really material? A bunch of guitar snobs....cause no one else cares or can hear it.

Drop the right electronics in a POS and an amp of equal quality, and you'll make damn near anything sound good. Ever hear a Steinberger's range of tones? They're pretty fucking impressive....and there's pretty much no body or headstock period.

I make an exception with hollow-bodies & acoustics, obviously.
"People always ask me how I got my tone, about my guitars and amp rigs and all that jazz. Then, I started looking back through the years and remembered that I had a cheap stratocaster, then a Les Paul, then a Peabody, then a Pensa Suhr, then a Steinberger, then back to that cheap stratocaster and just as many amps. And, it occurred to me that I always sounded like me." - Mark Knopfler

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for the name.

Following that line of thought, Heritage Guitars > Gibson Guitars
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:21:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a master luthier...

Agreed. Tone is mostly in your hands and your amp, no matter what any blowhard wants to crow in opposition. I've got 20 years of recording and gigging experience with every guitar from a Rickenbacker 360 to a cobbled together plywood Tele. They all sound different, but really at the end of the day marginally so and to whom is that difference really material? A bunch of guitar snobs....cause no one else cares or can hear it.

Drop the right electronics in a POS and an amp of equal quality, and you'll make damn near anything sound good. Ever hear a Steinberger's range of tones? They're pretty fucking impressive....and there's pretty much no body or headstock period.

"People always ask me how I got my tone, about my guitars and amp rigs and all that jazz. Then, I started looking back through the years and remembered that I had a cheap stratocaster, then a Les Paul, then a Peabody, then a Pensa Suhr, then a Steinberger, then back to that cheap stratocaster and just as many amps. And, it occurred to me that I always sounded like me." - Mark Knopfler

thanks Swing.  That's kind of what I was hoping/thinking, after playing on it for so long with good results.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

thanks Swing.  That's kind of what I was hoping/thinking, after playing on it for so long with good results.

If you like the way it feels and it stays in tune, what else really matters?

Of all the things that go into producing an electric guitar tone, body wood is honestly one of the least important. Technique, pickups, amp, neck length, and the bridge type and material are rate much higher. (that being said ash/maple Telecasters for the win!)

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a master luthier...

Bingo. Amps and electronics are what make it. I just like Paul's cause they're pretty. (See screen name).

I've gotten away from electrics lately, and fallen in love with my dad's old Martin D35. Again, acoustics are a whole different ballgame.

If you like playing it, and you're used to it, great!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#36]
You need one of these...

Custom Shop 1960 Reissue

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Interesting guitar, never seen that color on an LP.

I'd recommend you check here- MyLesPaul and post the picture, ask your questions. You'll get more accurate information.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top