Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 5:40:40 PM EDT
Im justing wondering what are the opposing views of displaying a confederate flag? I mean is it wrong? Growing up with all these liberal teachers makes you think things that are ok are wrong it since all these liberal teachers around here have me thinking that FDR was god. What say arfcom?

Im just wondering because my friend just got a shitload of detentions(10+) for having a stars and bars belt buckle on in school today. I guess since its "constitution day" they seemed extra PO'd about it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Its heritage.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are telling the truth use the below link for some legal advice

http://www.slrc-csa.org/
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Its heritage.

that right......Not hate.....

It's misuse to represent something it's not by different organizations has done a lot of damage.....

I wasn't alive back then.... But if I was a betting man, I'd say the ships that bought the slaves over wasn't flying confederate flags.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The thing that the idiots that oppose the flag don't seem to realize is that the US flag flew over times of slavery
for MUCH longer than a Confederate flag did. Does that make the US flag a symbol of hatred?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Some idiots have hijacked it and 'drug it through the mud,' but if we gave up things that other people tarnished, well we wouldn't have much.

To me it stands for States' Rights, Resistance to Tyranny, southern pride.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]
It's BS to equate the Confederate flag with racism (which, I suspect, is why your buddy was suspended).

To them, the misuse of that flag by certain racist groups somehow taints the flag.  Never mind that another symbol (e.g. the cross) was also misused by the same groups, yet no racial stigma is attached to it.  

The fact that such hypocrisy is endorsed by teachers in our great Commonwealth (who are allegedly responsible for your education and therefore should know better) is saddening.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The thing that the idiots that oppose the flag don't seem to realize is that the US flag flew over times of slavery
for MUCH longer than a Confederate flag did.

+1
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Its not... Its politically incorrect and therefore the Liberals hate it.  They claim its a symbol of hatred when in fact, its a Christian flag.

Its a beautiful symbol and it represents everything I am. Fuck the KKK members that fly it, fuck the rednecks that use it to label them. Its my heritage and I will never disown it.

"Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevents their history and denies them their symbols has sewn the seed of its own destruction." - Sir William Wallace
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Detention? NO!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Have him explain that his belt buckle was one half of the Georgia state flag, and that his BFF has the other half:

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Its not... Its politically incorrect and therefore the Liberals hate it.  They claim its a symbol of hatred when in fact, its a Christian flag.

Its a beautiful symbol and it represents everything I am. Fuck the KKK members that fly it, fuck the rednecks that use it to label them. Its my heritage and I will never disown it.

"Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevents their history and denies them their symbols has sewn the seed of its own destruction." - Sir William Wallace

Oh wow!, The irony, i go to a private Catholic school!

Quoted:
Detention? NO!

Good, i'll tell him that you're glad to sit in a hot un airconditioned room for 10+ hours after school for him!

Detention isnt the point, im wondering what so wrong with it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh wow!, The irony, i go to a private Catholic school!

Quoted:
Detention? NO!

Good, i'll tell him that you're glad to sit in a hot un airconditioned room for 10+ hours after school for him!

Detention isnt the point, im wondering what so wrong with it.

What are you getting at?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Have him explain that his belt buckle was one half of the Georgia state flag, and that his BFF has the other half:

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/usa/images-2/old-georgia-flag.jpg

Half of the OLD georgia state flag. We have the stars and bars now. And no, that is not the stars and bars.

This is

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Im justing wondering what are the opposing views of displaying a confederate flag? I mean is it wrong? Growing up with all these liberal teachers makes you think things that are ok are wrong it since all these liberal teachers around here have me thinking that FDR was god. What say arfcom?

Im just wondering because my friend just got a shitload of detentions(10+) for having a stars and bars belt buckle on in school today. I guess since its "constitution day" they seemed extra PO'd about it.

The flag is no more harmful than a Swaztika. Its that a bunch of assh*les did their best to give it a bad image.

Its subject to people presuppositions. Sadly like all  things innocent, they are ruined publicly.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
for MUCH longer than a Confederate flag did. Does that make the US flag a symbol of hatred?

A lot stupid assed libs think so
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#17]
it was hijacked by the idiots that the guys before me talk about.  do you think of gay men everytime you see a rainbow?  do you think of lesbians when you see a triangle?  (well, maybe, but lezbians are cool) my point is that some people think of nothing but slavery when they see the confederate flag, and some see other things, like, the confederacy, the first form of our government and a symbol of state rights over federal rights.  I often argue that wars are often fought be people who take the side of their state, community, their friends, their neighbors, like most who actually fought for the confederacy, or, even for the union.  I don't see a problem with expressing a fondness for that and don't attribute a support of racism as soon as I see a confederate flag.

I have a model of a FW190.  It has nazi markings on it.  Do I have the FW190 because I like Nazis?  Of course not.  It was a beautiful airplane.  And the zero.  Does that mean I support killing chinese people just for practice or because I like the airplane.  If I recieved detention or any other kind of punishment for having a FW190, I'd be a suin'

Not to mention, even kids at school have a good deal of first amendment rights.  Hate libs.  They all talk about having respect for other cultures, even ones that STONE WOMEN TO DEATH, but oh no!  Someone has a belt buckle that offends me!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#18]
As a South Carolinian with a number of ancestors who fought for the Confederacy, the battle flag represents that sad period in history and the sacrifices made by my ancestors to preserve states' rights (go figure).  For me, the flag does not invoke thoughts of slavery at all, just pride in the South, and a reminder of a more relaxed, chivalrous day in antebellum Dixie.

Obviously, slavery was the ugly streak that ran through that idealized concept of the South, and those who are descended from slaves understandably have quite a different take on the flag.  From their perspective, the Confederates fought to preserve their way of life –– i.e., slavery.

When I see the flag today, I don't think of slavery at all, but some do.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#19]
The irony is the flag most people think of as the "Confederate Flag", and find so offensive, never represented the CSA as a whole.   It was the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.  A version of it was also used as a confederate naval jack.   You could probably get away with wearing any of the early national CSA flags...and no one would even know.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Half of the OLD georgia state flag. We have the stars and bars now. And no, that is not the stars and bars.

This is

http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~grundyconnections/stars-bars.gif

I was not aware Georgia changed their flag - but I guess I do remember hearing about it now that you say it.

I am aware of the Federal Confederate flag vs the battle flag. Am I the only one who finds it ironic they traded one CSA flag for another?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#21]
There is nothing wrong with the "Confederate Flag".   Most people these days could not identify one of the 3 National Flags of the Confederacy if their lives depended on it.

The Confederate Naval Jack also known as the "Rebel Flag" or "Bubba Flag"  has been greatly vilified over the years due to it's use by evil bigots such as the "New" Knights of the Ku Klux Klan.

It is not wrong to display the Battle Flag of the Confederacy and all proud decendants of Confederate soldiers should take every opportunity to do so.

Heritage

Hate

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like he did it on the wrong side of the Mason Dixon Line.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is

http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~grundyconnections/stars-bars.gif

I was not aware Georgia changed their flag - but I guess I do remember hearing about it now that you say it.

I am aware of the Federal Confederate flag vs the battle flag. Am I the only one who finds it ironic they traded one CSA flag for another?

That was the original GA flag, then in the 50s our reps decided to change it. Our former Governer changed it to a god aweful blue flag with a bunch of little flags at the bottom. The current flag shows our heritage.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't see any evil in the confederate flag, I actually had one hanging up in my room from the age of 5 to 18
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Men waged war against my country under that flag. Enough said.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Bonnie Blue is the Confederate Flag.

Stars and Bars is the Confederate Naval Jack.

Unless my research failed

Yeah, I failed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#27]
It was the symbol of men who killed Americans to preserve the right to enslave people. Fortunately they got stomped a new asshole.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It was the symbol of men who killed Americans to preserve the right to enslave people. Fortunately they got stomped a new asshole.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Some idiots have hijacked it and 'drug it through the mud,' but if we gave up things that other people tarnished, well we wouldn't have much.

To me it stands for States' Rights, Resistance to Tyranny, southern pride.

as you note it has been drug through the mud and for a lot of folks, they see it as the symbol of those that frug it through the mud.

the sad cases are those that can't understand that others see it as a completely different symbol.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The flag is no more harmful than a Swaztika. Its that a bunch of assh*les did their best to give it a bad image.

Its subject to people presuppositions. Sadly like all  things innocent, they are ruined publicly.

I want a Buddhist to wear a (Buddhist) swastika to school.  If some ignoramus of a teacher tries to discipline the student, it's an instant religious discrimination issue.  (Liberal) heads would explode trying to divide by zero.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#31]
It's neither right nor wrong, it's just a flag that obviously means different things to different people. You can like it or dislike it but most of all, mind your own fucking business.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You wasted a 4 year old troll account with 1000 posts and $25 for this thread?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top