Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 3:37:55 PM EDT
While reading this post on Antietam what are the "must visit sites" along the coast? Last year I was in Savannah and never made it north of Hilton Head like I had planned. So I'm thinking of another road trip through Nashville and north to D.C.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Shiloh is pretty cool and of course Gettysburg
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Gettysburg is a must-see.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes! Devil's Den and more...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Going to Gettsburgh is like a prerequisite of things you HAVE to do before you die.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Gettysburg, especiailly now since they cut back the vegetation to where it was at the time of the battle and you can see it just as the troops did when they arrived to fight the battle. They even cleared the trench area on Culp's hill, you actually see the remains of the trench, caved in but the trench is still there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Vicksburg, MS is worth visiting.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes! Devil's Den and more...

Gettysburg is a definite. Very good idea about Devil's Den. I never knew about that part of Gettysburg.

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Washington DC shortly after November 2010.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Gettysburg

Shiloh

Vicksburg

Chattanooga

Fredericksburg

The Wilderness

Spotsylvania

Petersburg

Fort Morgan

Fort Gaines

I've been to many more.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Gettysburg is about as cool as it gets.  I've been there a number of times over the years.  Plus ... it's infested with ghosts.

I've been to Antietam, too, and it's a really boring place.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park in my home town of Marietta Georgia. a little ways off the coast and further south than you posted but a great area with much history that is still told.

National Park Svc. site

http://www.nps.gov/kemo/index.htm

North Georgia Travel Site info.
http://ngeorgia.com/travel/kennesawmtn.html

Battles in Georgia with re-enactments and information

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.28thga.org/gallery_unit2004/2006resaca_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.28thga.org/unit_pictures.html&usg=__QdR0EzeKNypA_KJ_FWASyW0GuRo=&h=409&w=500&sz=107&hl=en&start=83&um=1&tbnid=0eCPuKmOlKBidM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3DKennesaw%2BMountain%2BBattlefield%2BPark%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D72%26um%3D1

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Andersonville prison
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Andersonville prison

Another good one.

The grave stones so close together...

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Harper's Ferry, that place always gave me goosebumps.

Visited Perryville in Ky. two years ago, interesting but a small engagement compared to others listed above me.  I wouldn't go out of my way to see it but if nearby, by all means stop.

Shenandoah Valley and by that I mean get off of RT. 81 and take the "Old Valley Pike" Rt. 11 from Winchester to Lexington if you have the time.  You won't regret this at all.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Appomattox is the only one I've visited.  Pretty amazing. I'd love to visit more locations.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Andersonville prison

yep!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Out of the hand full I have visited I would say my favorites were Antietam and, Fredricksburg.  I live in Pittsburgh but regretfully have not had the chance to visit Gettysburg but it is on my list of things to do.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Andersonville prison

yep!

Another good one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Standing at the visitor's center at Antietam, you get an unspoiled view of almost the whole battlefield (except for Burnsde Bridge).
Very simple.
Very overwhelming.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Cold Harbor.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Gettysburg and Vicksburg, entirely different kinds of battles, fought more or less at the same time, both are considered to have sealed the fate of the Confederacy

Ft. Pulaski and Ft. Sumter.  Both surrendered very quickly although for different reasons, and then Ft. Sumter was put through a real siege and you can see how obsolete the masonry fort concept was by then.  Sumter was later upgraded all they way through until WW2.  So the Charleston Sumter-Moultrie complex shows how sea coast defenses evolved.  Also in Charleston you need to visit the H. L. Hunley submarine (only open on weekends) and the magnolia Cemetery where the Hunley crews and a lot of other Confederate fighters were buried or re-buried.  Among the graves moved to there were the graves found under the Citadel Football stadium, including the 8 year old girl who was buried with them.  

There is a Virginia History Trail that runs from Petersburg to Appomattox following Lee's Retreat and has radio broadcasts at various locations along the way.

Petersburg also has some interesting buildings down around the old RR station and a city museum there.  Outside down is the Museum of the Civil War Soldier. I've never been there but it has an outstanding reputation.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#23]
If you want to see a battlefield that looks as it did when the battle was fought there go to McDowell, VA. It was part of Jackson's Valley Campaign.

Stones River in Mufreesboro
Franklin
Perryville
Nashville
Petersburg
Richmond
Wilderness/Sposyvania CH
Fredericksburg
Harper's Ferry

to name a few
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:54:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't forget the Museum of the Confederacy and the Tredegar Iron Works site in downtown Richmond.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:23:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been to Perryville, Chicamauga, Gettysburg and Fort Donelson. Some day I will see them all. Gettysburg is great, I could spend a week there alone.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:34:15 AM EDT
[#26]
My father took us to Gettysburg when we were kids, and I've been back several times since. What are the main things to see in Vicksburg? I'm interested in Naval history as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:37:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Gettysburg is about as cool as it gets.  I've been there a number of times over the years.  Plus ... it's infested with ghosts.

I have to disagree. Gettysburg is monument infested and overesposed. Antietam is a much better preserved battlefield. You can actually visit Antietam on the anniversary of the battle and not be trapped in a crowd of tourists yammering on ceaselessly about stuff they don't actually understand. YMMV.

I don't believe in ghosts, so that holds no appeal to me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:41:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:.

Shenandoah Valley

New Market Battlefield
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:52:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to disagree. Gettysburg is monument infested and overesposed. Antietam is a much better preserved battlefield. You can actually visit Antietam on the anniversary of the battle and not be trapped in a crowd of tourists yammering on ceaselessly about stuff they don't actually understand. YMMV.

I must say I agree with your post PAEBR332. I've been to Gettysburg more times than I can remember. A few years ago I went to Antietam in early September. It's not an exaggeration to state that I had the entire battlefield to myself. I stood on Burnside's Bridge for over an hour before I saw another person. I met more people on the Appalachian Trail a few miles down the road at South Mt. than at Antietam.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:04:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Chicamauga, the battlefield plus the sites on Lookout Moutain and Missionary Ridge.

This.

Chicamauga is right up there with Gettysburg. Just something about the atmosphere of both places is awe inspiring and somber, yet peacefull at the same time.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#31]
If you do go to Gettysburg, don't go on a weekend or a holiday. There are still people there on weekdays, but not so many that it's a problem.

Also, no matter which site you go to, spend a little time and learn the history before you go. Most people show up at these battlefields and know nothing beyond the fact that there are a few cannons there.

Gettysburg in particular was such a huge battle that a little prior research will make your time there a lot more meaningful.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:12:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Vicksburg is great, especially with the ship museum that you can walk through now.  Was just there this summer.  Ft. Sumter is very moving to me, as is all of Charleston SC.  Harpers Ferry is very interesting.  I had just read 5 years of Hell, the Cival War in Harpers Ferry before I went the first time so seeing the distances and the various places discussed in the book first hand was a great experience for me.  Antetium and Gettysburg both were just very over crowded that times that I have been there.  Manassas was interesting as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:15:23 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm quite fortunate in that I'm close to many of the key battlegrounds, Gettysburg as mentioned, is awesome. We're actually going there in a couple weeks to take more time walking around, as the last time we went (for the first time in almost 20yrs) was back in July, and it was hot as hell, so we couldn't really take as much time as we'd have liked. Fredericksburg, what more can I say..it's like walking back in time. My family actually has a business there, and a house (a plantation house there since before the civil war) and we've spent summers walking the woods on the property relic hunting, and actually the first summer we spent a deal of time there back in the 80's, we stumbled across a cemetary that was overgrown beyond belief. We actually contacted the Historical Society who proceeded to come and clear it out, and list it on the registry as it hadn't been there originally. Antietam, right up the road halfway between home and Gettysburg, awesome place, but Gettysburg and Fredericksburg have more to see if you're really into the visual aspect, seeing what it was like during that time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:19:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make a very good point.  Gettysburg is very crowded.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#35]
If you're going to Antietam (and you REALLY SHOULD go to Antietam), take some time to go to Harper's Ferry as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:26:11 AM EDT
[#36]
I love Civil War battlefields, been to most of them.

Recently I did a tour of the WV Battlefields - largely ignored or forgotten and it's a shame - some are quite interesting tho smaller.

Harper's Ferry, Droop Mountain, Beverly, and Lewisburg are all within several miles and easily visited.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#37]
I live near Harper's Ferry and have to say, especially in the off season, down town is very interesting.  It gets crowded around the old town in the summer though.  More interesting however is the surrounding battlefield which hardley any one visits.  There on School House Hill and Bolivar Heights 12,000 Union soldiers under Miles surrendered to Jackson (which also helped develop the situation that led to Antietem (about a 25 minute drive from Harper Ferry).  Miles surrender to Jackson was the largest surrender of "Federal" troops until the Phillipines in WWII.  

Highly recommended...........BTW, the old arsenal equpment display is worth checking out at the"old town" as well.  They used to run the lathes and milling machines off of water power.  There were 100,000 Harpers Ferry muskets stored there when John Brown made his raid (this is the ann by the way 1859-2009).

PS, once your finished you can hop on the Appalacian Trail as Harper Ferry is the "half-way" point.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:10:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Not Civil War...........but Little Big Horn may trump them all..........I was literally the only one there when I visited.  If you know the sequence of events, it is an easy battle to invision while on-site.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you do go to Gettysburg, don't go on a weekend or a holiday. There are still people there on weekdays, but not so many that it's a problem.

Also, no matter which site you go to, spend a little time and learn the history before you go. Most people show up at these battlefields and know nothing beyond the fact that there are a few cannons there.

Gettysburg in particular was such a huge battle that a little prior research will make your time there a lot more meaningful.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/schv/Gettysburg/Gettysburg1.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/schv/Gettysburg/Gettysburg6.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/schv/Gettysburg/Gettysburg10.jpg

Excellent advice. You will get VASTLY more out of any battlefield visit if you do a little homework beforehand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top