Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 3:20:43 PM EDT
I have a PTR91 and I want to install some stuff on it. Does a HK made butt stock count as an accessorie or a full on part? How many foreign parts can Iinstall on my PTR till I'm in voilation of the law? Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The buttstock is a  listed part for the foreign parts rule (922r)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#2]
http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

Read through that, and then find a copy of 922(r) for the whole story.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Do you know how many parts I can change to foreign on a stock PTR till I'm in violation? I don't want to break the law.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

Read through that, and then find a copy of 922(r) for the whole story.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know how many parts I can change to foreign on a stock PTR till I'm in violation? I don't want to break the law.

Of the 20 parts listed in 922r, a HK-91 or clone has 17 (16 if it does not have a muzzle attachment)

They are:
(1) receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(4) Muzzle attachments
(5) Bolt
(6) Bolt carrier
(7) Cocking handle
(8) Trigger housing
(9) Trigger
(10) Hammer
(11) Sear
(12) Butt stock
(13) Pistol grip
(14) Forearm
(15) Magazine body
(16) Magazine Follower
(17) Magazine Floor plate

922r allows you to have 10 foreign parts of these listed parts. Not all of the parts in the firearm are listed. Unlisted parts are irrelevant for this purpose.

To build a complete rifle you need 7 parts that are not foreign i.e.. US-made.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I seriously doubt anyone is going to hunt you down and lock you up for having German made furniture on your rifle, especially if it is a fixed stock.
Somebody might if you install a collapsing stock but i doubt you will keep it on long enough for manybody to notice.

The side folders such as the Choate PDR stock are US made and totally legal but just as uncomfortable to actually fire the rifle with them installed.

Since two law enforcement officers, one of them a State Police Trooper, have shot my PTR91 with German made furniture installed and gave me no grief and this being the godforsaken and anti gun state of Illinois, I am basing my opinion on personal experience.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I seriously doubt anyone is going to hunt you down and lock you up for having German made furniture on your rifle, especially if it is a fixed stock.
Somebody might if you install a collapsing stock but i doubt you will keep it on long enough for manybody to notice.

The side folders such as the Choate PDR stock are US made and totally legal but just as uncomfortable to actually fire the rifle with them installed.

Since two law enforcement officers, one of them a State Police Trooper, have shot my PTR91 with German made furniture installed and gave me no grief and this being the godforsaken and anti gun state of Illinois, I am basing my opinion on personal experience.

I wouldn't want to mess around with the ATF on this one.

They may ask you swap a part, or they may charge you with a felony.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I highly recommend that you comply with all laws, especially felonies like this, regardless of whether you think you will be caught.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone have a verifiable case where a person was actually prosecuted under this bullshit law?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#10]
My US parts on my Greek SAR 8 are:

Hammer
Trigger
Sear
Cocking handle
Pistol grip
Muzzle attachment
Buttstock (although I want to get a US bolt head so I can use a HK collapsible stock)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Aren't PTRs all US-made?

No worries about furniture kits then, since even a complete set will still be less than 10 named parts.

ETA - And remember people, there is absolutely no such thing as "US parts count" for 922(r) compliance. The one and only thing that matters is the number of named, non-US parts.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Aren't PTRs all US-made?

No worries about furniture kits then, since even a complete set will still be less than 10 named parts.

PTR's are a mix of parts.

PTR91 / Scorpion uses foreign parts, and they make the US parts that they need to comply with 922r
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#13]
The law states that one may not assemble a rifle with more than 10 of the listed parts. Possession is not mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The law states that one may not assemble a rifle with more than 10 of the listed parts. Possession is not mentioned.

If you take out the magazine (3 foreign parts) do you break the law when you reinsert it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aren't PTRs all US-made?

PTR's are a mix of parts.

PTR91 / Scorpion uses foreign parts, and they make the US parts that they need to comply with 922r

I thought that by now they would be down to making US or nearly-US rifles.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:11:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm going to have to call PTR and find out exactly what parts on my gun are US made or foreign. I have a heavy MSG90 buffer for my stock.....anyone know how buffers fit into this mess of a law?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
.anyone know how buffers fit into this mess of a law?

Irrelevant as far as the law is concerned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top