Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 3:13:32 PM EDT
Tooth Implant in Woman's Eye Helps Her See Again
Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sharron "Kay" Thornton had a tooth implanted in her eye, which holds a prosthetic lens in place.

A 60-year-old Mississippi woman can finally see again after nine years of blindness.

Earlier this month, surgeons implanted Sharron “Kay” Thornton’s tooth inside her eye, which holds a prosthetic lens in place, according to a news release.

The procedure, known as modified osteo-odonto-keratoprosthesis, or MOOKP, took place at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.

Although the procedure has been available at some eye clinics in Europe and Asia, this is the first time a patient has had the procedure done in the U.S., said Dr. Eduardo C. Alfonso.

Thornton lost her eyesight in 2000, the result of a skin condition known as Stevens-Johnson syndrome, which destroys the cells on the eye’s surface and leads to scarring of the cornea.

“This is truly a miracle,” said Thornton, who is also looking forward to seeing her grandchildren.

Doctors implanted Thronton’s canine tooth, ironically known as her “eyetooth.”

Just a few hours after the surgery, Thornton recognized faces. Within two weeks, she was reading newsprint with a visual acuity of 20/70. As the scars heal, her sight will continue to improve.

"Without sight, life is really hard. I'm hoping this surgery will help countless people," Thornton said.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
wait, what!?!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#2]
lol wut
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I need diagrams or something. This is not computing for me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#5]
So does she need to brush her eye before night night?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
WHAT THE FUCK?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I need a link that I can email to a few dentist friends of mine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I need a link that I can email to a few dentist friends of mine.

http://tinyurl.com/m2lh89

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes the procedure was done by Dr.Victor Perez.What they did was cut a piece of skin from inside her mouth and placed it over her cornea which had been cleaned.Then the tooth was sanded into a cylinderical shape and used to hold a fiber optic which now enables her to see. She has  9 grandchildren she never saw.They will do some cosmetic stuff later and her eye will be normal looking.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Who comes up with this stuff????????
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tooth Implant in Woman's Eye Helps Her See Again
Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sharron "Kay" Thornton had a tooth implanted in her eye, which holds a prosthetic lens in place.

A 60-year-old Mississippi woman can finally see again after nine years of blindness.

Earlier this month, surgeons implanted Sharron “Kay” Thornton’s tooth inside her eye, which holds a prosthetic lens in place, according to a news release.

The procedure, known as modified osteo-odonto-keratoprosthesis, or MOOKP, took place at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.

Although the procedure has been available at some eye clinics in Europe and Asia, this is the first time a patient has had the procedure done in the U.S., said Dr. Eduardo C. Alfonso.

Thornton lost her eyesight in 2000, the result of a skin condition known as Stevens-Johnson syndrome, which destroys the cells on the eye’s surface and leads to scarring of the cornea.

“This is truly a miracle,” said Thornton, who is also looking forward to seeing her grandchildren.

Doctors implanted Thronton’s canine tooth, ironically known as her “eyetooth.”

Just a few hours after the surgery, Thornton recognized faces. Within two weeks, she was reading newsprint with a visual acuity of 20/70. As the scars heal, her sight will continue to improve.

"Without sight, life is really hard. I'm hoping this surgery will help countless people," Thornton said.

My best childhood friend died of this shit last Oct.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool. If her eyes are ever bigger than her belly, she can just let her eye eat the rest.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes the procedure was done by Dr.Victor Perez.What they did was cut a piece of skin from inside her mouth and placed it over her cornea which had been cleaned.Then the tooth was sanded into a cylinderical shape and used to hold a fiber optic which now enables her to see. She has  9 grandchildren she never saw.They will do some cosmetic stuff later and her eye will be normal looking.

Cool! Dr. Perez was the guy that did the surgery on my eye after the bungee cord incident. My vision is still fupped duck but at least I'm no longer blind.

I may never live long enough to pay off the debt but I can't say enough good about doctor Perez and Bascom Palmer
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

OK I work in the medical field and i HAVE NO IDEA HOW THE FUCK THEY ARE DOING THIS?

ok http://www.rajaneyecare.com/modified-osteo-odonto-keratoprosthesis.html

I dont even know where to start thinking about how they came up with this process, who said ? "hey, lets put a tooth in an eye and cut all this stuff out and sew part of her cheek to it".....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cool. If her eyes are ever bigger than her belly, she can just let her eye eat the rest.

LOL suck on that eyetooth woman
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So does she need to brush her eye before night night?

ok I laughed. Better not get a cavity or gingivitis!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
wait, what!?!

Several replies later, I am still with you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wait, what!?!

Several replies later, I am still with you.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK I work in the medical field and i HAVE NO IDEA HOW THE FUCK THEY ARE DOING THIS?

I dont even know where to start thinking about how they came up with this process, who said ? "hey, lets put a tooth in an eye and cut all this stuff out and sew part of her cheek to it".....

To put a fine point on it - that's why the doc who did this is probably a multi-millionare, well before he tried this surgery. And he and his ilk are about to lose their reason to stay in our medical market...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Good God ! She's frightening the children
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To put a fine point on it - that's why the doc who did this is probably a multi-millionare, well before he tried this surgery. And he and his ilk are about to lose their reason to stay in our medical market...

Yeah true innovators, i just wish i knew what else they have tried to implant where?

Obamacare says no way!! Too Costly !! We want to kill baby's for stem cells instead...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top