Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2009 2:33:51 PM EDT

Took a wrong turn today here in the Netherlands.  Was in farm country out near Nijmegen where operation market garden went down..  Asked for directions at the farm we turned into, said a few things about WW2 and the owner of the farm said.. let me show you something!  He unlocked a room in his barn and what he had was a collection of everything he has turned up in the 28 years on his farm!!!  Including this!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy bollox! That is cool as hell!. Is there any damage to the helmet or did it just get blown off with some scalp?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#2]
is that an enfield in the backgroud?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Holy bollox! That is cool as hell!. Is there any damage to the helmet or did it just get blown off with some scalp?
Did not see any damage to the helmet.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Killin Natzees
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Hard core.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Looks like only half of an Enfield.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice German helmet with little German inside.––IS  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes.  He also had about 7 live 75mm pack howitzer rounds in the room... none had fuses on them so they were unfired and probably from the same spot.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I guess one can say without reservation THAT helmet IS an original-

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

He had a mess of others too, US, brit, other german including an odd one, arty or mounted maybe.

His farm is at ground zero for where everyone dropped in for Operation Market Garden..with a battle line that went back and forth for a number of days.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Yikeeze!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder if the Germans padded the insides of them helmet with horse hair or something? It looks like there is some covering over half of it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He had a mess of others too, US, brit, other german including an odd one, arty or mounted maybe.  

His farm is at ground zero for where everyone dropped in for Operation Market Garden..with a battle line that went back and forth for a number of days.

Weird one could have been a fallschirmjager helmet?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I wonder if the Germans padded the insides of them helmet with horse hair or something? It looks like there is some covering over half of it.

Ok I talked to my father who heard more about it.. It was from a buried pile of gear on the guys land, the pile of gear is from where near the Germans buried a bunch of their dead.  It is real people hair.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I spy a SMLE.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Weird one could have been a fallschirmjager helmet?

Just figured it out..it was a dutch helmet.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Really cool stuff!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Animal hair!! Sorry!!

1. It's too long to have been soldier hair as the German enlisted troops as did ours had crew cuts.

2. Human hair fades greatly over time, if it was human hair it would look blond no matter what color it really was when the guy was seperated from it. Especially after being out in the weather. I have Locks of hair cut off my ancestors that were stored even out of light exposure and it still turned blond over the years since it was snipped and stored.

I have a German Stahlhelmut found in a local scrapyard when i was a kid, needs the runst removed and repainted and their is no liner but i have the helmet itself. BTW, Anybody know where i can find a liner? Doesn't have to be original just operational, you know so i can wear it for parties and such.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Talk about some collectibles, damn.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#20]
When a body decomposes, the hair will often fall off the skull pretty much intact.  If the head was still in the helmet, could explain the hair found in the helmet.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Cool but yea - not WW2 German hair.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#22]
waffen-sasquatch
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

1. It's too long to have been soldier hair as the German enlisted troops as did ours had crew cuts.

Sorry to say, this is wrong.  It was popular in the German Heer to wear their hair long on top, short on the sides.

http://www.272nd.org/appearance/hairlong.jpg

http://www.ablogabouthistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/battle.png

http://img2.photographersdirect.com/img/16398/wm/pd2083824.jpg

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When a body decomposes, the hair will often fall off the skull pretty much intact.  If the head was still in the helmet, could explain the hair found in the helmet.....

Yep, so what did he do with the rest of the body?
If he found the soldiers ID tag authorities may be able to identify the remains and give them a proper burial.

German helmets had a horsehide liner that was rivited to the outside of the helmet, there was no padding.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#26]
He's going to clone undead nazi super soldiers
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The germans used HUMAN hair for padding and other things quite often. They would use hair from the concentration camps as socks to prevent noise on U-Boats

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#28]
It is human hair.  It is lighter than it looks in the photo, it was also finer.  I was taking photos with an ultra wide angle lens in low light..i had to use ISO 1600 to take the photos at 1/50s f/3.5

Also, it is not cut hair.. it was still in clumps in spots.. congealed together at the roots.  There was no skin as far as i could tell.  My guess is the soldier had started decomposing and when the helmet was removed for burial, the hair came off with it pulling right out.  That would also explain the crud in it.. decomposing juices.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The germans used HUMAN hair for padding and other things quite often. They would use hair from the concentration camps as socks to prevent noise on U-Boats

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to say, this is wrong.  It was popular in the German Heer to wear their hair long on top, short on the sides.

+1.   Way Wrong on the short hair.  Part of the mystique of the German Army as an invincible fighting machine came from the ability of troops to have cool looking hair no matter how long they had been in the field.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

He's going to clone undead nazi super soldiers

It will be just like Dead Snow.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Liner is just steet bands and leather

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Was there any of the decal left?

If it had a couple lightening bolts on it, that would be quite a find.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#35]
That's really cool. If I lived in an area of the sort, I'd be digging all day.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well documented.  Hit the library.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#37]
holy shit
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I guarantee that there was a skull attached to that thing for a VERY long period of time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well documented.  Hit the library.

Human hair was sometimes woven into wool socks.  Socks were not completely made from hair.  And I've never heard of the hair coming from concentration camps, though that doesn't mean it's not true.  I'd need confirmation either way.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.   Way Wrong on the short hair.  Part of the mystique of the German Army as an invincible fighting machine came from the ability of troops to have cool looking hair no matter how long they had been in the field.

This. Have seen lots of footage of german solders with hair buzzed on the sides and long on top, now if thats human hair or not is a different story!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Creepy old farm dude.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Animal hair!! Sorry!!

2. Human hair fades greatly over time, if it was human hair it would look blond no matter what color it really was when the guy was seperated from it. Especially after being out in the weather. I have Locks of hair cut off my ancestors that were stored even out of light exposure and it still turned blond over the years since it was snipped and stored.

I have a German Stahlhelmut found in a local scrapyard when i was a kid, needs the runst removed and repainted and their is no liner but i have the helmet itself. BTW, Anybody know where i can find a liner? Doesn't have to be original just operational, you know so i can wear it for parties and such.

My dad had a lock of his mothers hair that I put in his shirt pocket in his caskethe day of his funeral, it was as black as it was the day it was cutt off about 40 years ago.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Animal hair!! Sorry!!

My dad had a lock of his mothers hair that I put in his shirt pocket in his caskethe day of his funeral, it was as black as it was the day it was cutt off about 40 years ago.

right, I wouldn't believe that unless a forensic anthropologist said it
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Animal hair!! Sorry!!

Sorry, but no, 40's hair style both for our side and theres was longer hair.  the crew cut didnt become a true military standard until the 50's and 60's
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Das anti-mullet
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Animal hair!! Sorry!!

right, I wouldn't believe that unless a forensic anthropologist said it

My mom has some of my hair from my first hair cut 34 years ago, it is just as red and curly as the day it was cut.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It is human hair.  It is lighter than it looks in the photo, it was also finer.  I was taking photos with an ultra wide angle lens in low light..i had to use ISO 1600 to take the photos at 1/50s f/3.5

Also, it is not cut hair.. it was still in clumps in spots.. congealed together at the roots.  There was no skin as far as i could tell.  My guess is the soldier had started decomposing and when the helmet was removed for burial, the hair came off with it pulling right out.  That would also explain the crud in it.. decomposing juices.

OP, what did you catch that Largemouth with?

Looks kinda puney
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Animal hair!! Sorry!!

Go here for your liner. You can send him the helmet and have a liner installed.  Grigsby is one of the best for helmet restoration.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#49]
OP, was that close to where DK-Prof was born?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Could be hair from Jewish people.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top