Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2009 8:52:33 AM EDT

On the news last evening , they are now talking about additional tax on soda to help pay for healthcare because people who drink sodas have potential for more medical problems.

All you guys who said it was OK for cigs to be taxed because of potential medical problems were told it would eventually happen to you. Well it's starting and I hope your happy.

Roy
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope they tax Pepsi right out of existence, the Obama-loving dumbasses. Reap what they fucking sow.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Just wait until they get this health care shit through.  Fines for eating fast food, staying up past your bed time, or owning guns.

You guys who like to ride motorcycles or sky-dive might as well go ahead and hang that shit up too.  Hooray for the nanny-state!  The soviets would be proud!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#3]
No surprise...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I hope they tax Pepsi right out of existence, the Obama-loving dumbasses. Reap what they fucking sow.

Agreed.

It's gotten so bad here in NY that they are making you pay a 5 cent deposit for every bottle of water you buy.  Then to get the nickle back you have to turn in the water bottle at the store - which then has to pay for the processing of all the water bottles.  Of course, any money that's left over for bottles that don't get returned goes to the state.  Naturally.

-K
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LnJskwydvM

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

-K
As long as the right people get in on the suffering, bring the pain, dammit.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Condoms need a hefty tax!

AND AIR!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

It's gotten so bad here in NY that they are making you pay a 5 cent deposit for every bottle of water you buy.  Then to get the nickle back you have to turn in the water bottle at the store - which then has to pay for the processing of all the water bottles.  Of course, any money that's left over for bottles that don't get returned goes to the state.  Naturally.

-K

This has existed for the longest time.  Ever hear the phrase "collecting cans"?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Before it's over junk food/fast food companies are going to be hauled into court to be raped just like the cigarette companies were.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Whats next? Dare I say it.....Beer?....Bacon?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Wonder if the people who can't afford the tax will get a pass?  

Quoted:

On the news last evening , they are now talking about additional tax on soda to help pay for healthcare because people who drink sodas have potential for more medical problems.

All you guys who said it was OK for cigs to be taxed because of potential medical problems were told it would eventually happen to you. Well it's starting and I hope your happy.

Roy

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#12]
How about a Gay tax !
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Before it's over junk food/fast food companies are going to be hauled into court to be raped just like the cigarette companies were.

This.  x100
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yup––-higher booze taxes and taxes on fatty foods are certain at this rate.  I suppose I helped––––got tired of paying all that stupid tobacco tax and quit smoking.  Gotta make that money up somewhere!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I bring it up every time someone says socialized medicine is a good idea.

If they control healthcare, next they'll want to control our health.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Doubled  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#17]
How about a ghetto tax or a gang tax. those who choose to live in a ghetto or are gang members are at much higher risk.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#18]
What we really need is a sex tax, since engaging in sexual activity often results in 9 month medical care situations.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Another beer tax?!?!?  jesus fucking christ.  we already pay, on average, 52% in texas.  Thats where I will draw the final line.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Roy

1 cent per ounce sodas, juice, etc...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How about a ghetto tax or a gang tax. those who choose to live in a ghetto or are gang members are at much higher risk.

you know the deal....."that's racist!"
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Roy

This lifelong nonsmoker has seen - and been opposed to - the excessive taxation on smokers by government for years. I've never been a proponent of sticking it to smokers (or of massive lawsuit punishments on "big tobacco").

And now you're going to have "fat" taxes, "sin" taxes, you name it... Financing our own screw job.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Remember the Boston Tea Party?  What should we do, dump a bunch of Pepsi and Budweiser in the ocean?  Or does everybody start up a microbrewery in their garage and sell beer locally?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just wait until they get this health care shit through.  Fines for eating fast food, staying up past your bed time, or owning guns.

You guys who like to ride motorcycles or sky-dive might as well go ahead and hang that shit up too.  Hooray for the nanny-state!  The soviets would be proud!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roy

This lifelong nonsmoker has seen - and been opposed to - the excessive taxation on smokers by government for years. I've never been a proponent of sticking it to smokers (or of massive lawsuit punishments on "big tobacco").

And now you're going to have "fat" taxes, "sin" taxes, you name it... Financing our own screw job.

Same here.  Life long non-smoker, but it didn't take a genius to figure that the .gov cares not a bit about anybody's health.  It was never about ANYTHING but money, power, and control.  Period.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roy

Same here, never smoked in my life but the taxes and the smoking ban laws are all bullshit.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

-K

Do you get out of NY much?  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Remember the Boston Tea Party?  What should we do, dump a bunch of Pepsi and Budweiser in the ocean?  Or does everybody start up a microbrewery in their garage and sell beer locally?

That would require an Environmental Impact Report and request for exemption. Failure to comply will result in a hefty fine!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ammo.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#31]
There needs to be a gay man tax, the hershey highway is a very dangerous highway to travel down.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There needs to be a gay man tax, the hershey highway is a very dangerous highway to travel down.

Holy shit Batman!!!, Can you imagine the  political fallout over that???  That would be hilarious...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#33]
...tough to pay taxes when your friggin' UNEMPLOYED...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#34]
I quite like the idea to be honest.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#35]

Won't be long before NOT going to the doctor every year and NOT taking the meds/vaccinations or anything else order you to do will also cause you to be taxed higher.

Guarantee it will happen if they pass this craptastic Obamacare plan.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Its been going on for some time. Nothing new. How else did you think they were going to pay for it all?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That would be kinda funny.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I quite like the idea to be honest.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Welcome to Hell.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

All you guys who said it was OK for cigs to be taxed because of potential medical problems were told it would eventually happen to you. Well it's starting and I hope your happy.Roy

Chill the fuck out, Francis.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How about a Gay tax !

totally!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We can't have the State's economic units harming themselves, can we?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Actually, I have no issue with consumption taxes PROVIDED we eliminate others - income, capital gains, corporate.

Unfortunately, this would result in something akin to fairness, and as such is unrealistic with our current legislation.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup––-higher booze taxes and taxes on fatty foods are certain at this rate.  I suppose I helped––––got tired of paying all that stupid tobacco tax and quit smoking.  Gotta make that money up somewhere!

I'd love to see every smoker in the US quit on the same day. Government would implode.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#45]
but....but...but...he said - if i make less then 250k a year my taxes will not go up one dime ... the chosen one would never lie like that would he  ?

sarcasam guys - put out the torches, and pitch forks
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Drinking a soda only affects the person drinking it.  Smoking affects everyone around you.  Smoke gives me major migranes, puts me in a lot of pain, and on occassion causes me to miss work.  People drinking soda's don't do that to me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I vote for a "welfare" tax. On welfare for more then two years results in an immediate yearly taxation of ALL property aqquired in that time.

And people think a "bullet tax" is far-fetched. Dream on gents, dream on. If you can't ban it, tax it just enough to artifically create a lack of demand without an actual ban. We already pay 12% + state tax so jumping it significantly wouldn't be that hard.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Wait until they start to tax beef because of the "bad health effects."

Also another step towards a Vegetarian Nation.

1 stone, 2 birds.

The White House will celebrate with a veal dinner.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What we really need is a sex tax, since engaging in sexual activity often results in 9 month medical care situations.

Go time.

Covers off P-Mags.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Its been my argument the whole time about big gov and gov run healthcare. Its just a way for them to get involved in our lives.
I know its a movie, But watch the Island. Eventually you will have some red tape .gov worker telling you what you can have at each meal, With which activities you can spend your time doing.
What you can drive, What you can do for a living. Anyone that thinks it wont happen, Well remember you didn't think we would get to THIS point in America either.
Unfortunately with how the system is run, It will be here until its time to water the tree.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top