Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 6:22:46 AM EDT
Oh, is that what we call lying these days?

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Obama Used Faulty Anecdote in Speech to Congress

WASHINGTON –– President Barack Obama, seeking to make a case for health-insurance regulation, told a poignant story to a joint session of Congress last week. An Illinois man getting chemotherapy was dropped from his insurance plan when his insurer discovered an unreported gallstone the patient hadn't known about.

"They delayed his treatment, and he died because of it," the president said in the nationally televised address.

In fact, the man, Otto S. Raddatz, didn't die because the insurance company rescinded his coverage once he became ill, an act known as recission. The efforts of his sister and the office of Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan got Raddatz's policy reinstated within three weeks of his April 2005 rescission and secured a life-extending stem-cell transplant for him. Raddatz died this year, nearly four years after the insurance showdown.

Obama aides say the president got the essence of the story correct. Raddatz was dropped from his insurance plan weeks before a scheduled stem-cell transplant.

In a letter, Babs Waldman, medical director of the Illinois attorney general's office, excoriated the insurer, Fortis Health, which is now Assurant Health. Raddatz "suddenly faces not only life-threatening illness but now the inability to afford the only treatment that may help him," Dr. Waldman wrote to the insurer May 3, 2005.

Peter Duckler, a spokesman for Assurant Health, said the company "can never comment on an insured's coverage due to confidentiality issues."

The patient's sister, Peggy M. Raddatz, testified before the House Energy and Commerce oversight subcommittee June 16 that her brother ultimately received treatment that "extended his life approximately three years." Nowhere in the hearing did she say her brother died because of the delay. Ms. Raddatz didn't return calls seeking comment.

Continue reading at The Wall Street Journal
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]
How can you tell Obama is lying?  His lips are moving.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:34:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I remember when I was in a hospital bed and a nurse came t me and gave me a sponge bath.

That is what she called it.

We had sex

Well, I wasnt in the bed, or a hospital and it was a 1500 dollar an hour hooker but fuck it.

I tell it the way I want to
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:36:39 AM EDT
[#5]
2010 2012
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I remember when I was in a hospital bed and a nurse came t me and gave me a sponge bath.

That is what she called it.

We had sex

Well, I wasnt in the bed, or a hospital and it was a 1500 dollar an hour hooker but fuck it.

I tell it the way I want to

Why is Ted Kennedy posting from the grave?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

racist

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#9]
That's how liberals roll; remember the Dan Rather fiasco regarding President Bush's military service?

Even if the actual facts were fabricated, the "truthfulness" of the story makes it acceptable.

You'll find a lot of that sort of thing in the liberal press.

Obama is a douchebag.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:22:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#11]
a la the 2000 and 2004 election cycle...

I'm still not sure how a single "case" of anyone's experiences mean a damn thing in governing 300 million people?   Joe Blow in Middle of Nowhere USA can't afford his meds, so we should adopt a sort-of-related policy changing the lives of millions of other Americans?   Some guy MIGHT have died - from cancer - because he couldn't get specific treatment under his insurance....  so that means another policy change affecting millions more?  

at what point do we stop playing the propaganda game and start looking towards what MIGHT be good for the vast majority of us?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
How can you tell Obama is lying? His lips are moving.

In all seriousness:

Whenever he is speaking on TV I turn to my son, who just turned 6 last week.

ME:  Son, who's that on TV right now?

HIM:  Barack Obama.

ME:  And what's he doing?

HIM:  LYING!!!

You go, dad!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Except once....he called Kanye West a jackass.

HH
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm going to tell an incorrect anecdote on my taxes this year. The essence of the numbers will be correct.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except once....he called Kanye West a jackass.

HH

Even a broken clock...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm going to tell an incorrect anecdote on my taxes this year. The essence of the numbers will be correct.

so, which cabinet position are you looking to land?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
How can you tell Obama is lying? His lips are moving.

In all seriousness:

Whenever he is speaking on TV I turn to my son, who just turned 6 last week.

ME:  Son, who's that on TV right now?

HIM:  Barack Obama.

ME:  And what's he doing?

HIM:  LYING!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top