Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 5:20:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:22:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#2]
It's pretty much common sense not to fire in the general direction of someone who just got away with committing a petty crime.  There's no real danger, and purses are easy enough to replace.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#3]
"Granger got his conceal-and-carry permit in the last couple of months, after at least eight hours of instruction in which one theme is repeated itself time and again.

"Retreat if possible. This is a last resort,” said Granger.

Charles Webb, the man accused of firing at the purse thief, is scheduled to appear in court on Friday. He’s charged with unlawful use of a weapon.
http://www.ky3.com/news/local/59553227.html "

That's exactly WHY the instructor says that. He's off the hook! Duh!
UNless they get the instrcutor for NOT telling him not to shoot at a fleeing unarmed man....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#4]
They way courts are nowadays its not bad an idea.
I will shoot only if all my other options are exhausted...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:36:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I've always considered my CCW to be a means to provide cover until I can get myself and anyone in my charge to a position of safety.  Whether that means barricading, stopping an imminent threat, or buying time so I can run is of no consequence.  Killing someone is pretty low on my list of things to do in life.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Opportunity + capability + intent = dead bad guy

Don't hesitate out of fear but do make a level headed judgment call.  Everything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:52:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Granger got his conceal-and-carry permit in the last couple of months, after at least eight hours of instruction in which one theme is repeated itself time and again.

"Retreat if possible. This is a last resort,” said Granger.

I can't say I'm offended by this. Dropping the hammer on someone should be a big deal, and the last thing you want to do.

I agree. If I can get out of the situation by retreating, you can bet your butt I'm going to. I have no desire to shoot anyone (excluding zombies of course).
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I've retreated before since the problem with fighting is you risk injury or death to yourself or those around you. And as stated dropping the hammer is a last resort measure. In my house the plan is for a fighting retreat and barricade/get out of the house BARRING my family being trapped somewhere in the house. Then its game on.

The only two times I've ever had to pull a gun where retreat was impossible the perps in both cases hightailed it. I never even considered shooting them once all I saw was asses and elbows.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:32:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I cannot find any major fault with this... taking a life is a serious thing, and if you do it wrong, your life is OVER.

If you can reasonably articulate why you felt that deadly force was immediately necessary to protect yourself, then go for it... but to get a purse back? In Texas, at night, it would be perfectly legal to shoot someone to get a purse back, so long as you believe that is the only way to get it back... but does that make it a good idea?  that is up to you... and then it is up to the grand jury.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top