Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 3:54:47 AM EDT
Someone was telling me about the bounties for Bald Eagles back in the day, and I didn't believe it, until someone pointed out that the birds are annoying, get into things, and steal fish.  And then someone pointed me to this Benjamin Franklin quote:

For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country . . .

Very interesting, although I don't know if the turkey would have been any better
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:58:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure Franklin was joking when he suggested the turkey. Kind of like he was joking when he suggested Daylight Savings Time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:20:25 AM EDT
[#2]
This should go well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:34:54 AM EDT
[#3]
in for future reference. sadly......Franklin wasn't kidding. He was very much against the choice and very vocal about it. I had read some material as to his reasoning for the wild turkey. I'll see if I can find it.   BTW.... I think the Eagle is a fine choice.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:36:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow.

This is the first time you've heard of this?

I learned this shit in Grade School.  Of course, that was years ago when they really taught the History of our Country.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:38:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wow.

I learned this shit in Grade School.  Of course, that was years ago when they really taught the History of our Country.  

I knew that there was a heated debate between the eagle and turkey, but I had never seen any individual quotes on the subject except ones talking about how pretty and regal eagles are.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:43:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:45:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.

I learned this shit in Grade School. Of course, that was years ago when they really taught the History of our Country.

I knew that there was a heated debate between the eagle and turkey, but I had never seen any individual quotes on the subject except ones talking about how pretty and regal eagles are.

I am going out on a limb here

....without the references to back it up. I kind of remember the strength of the eagle and it's fierce diligence at protecting it's territory as being some of the deciding factors......... but I'm sure .....pretty  and regal  were in there too.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:49:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Why is everyone so down on being a "a Bird of bad moral character"?  I love having "bad moral character".  It lets me do whatever I want and not feel bad about it...

Moral character is for wusses like the Fishing Hawk.  If he wasn't such a puss, he'd still have his fish...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#9]
So, basically it's the perfect choice.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:58:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Bald eagles are essentially big seagulls. They hang out at garbage dumps and squabble over the leavings of other critters, such as bears. The golden eagle would be a better choice, but it isn't uniquely American.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:04:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Someone was telling me about the bounties for Bald Eagles back in the day, and I didn't believe it, until someone pointed out that the birds are annoying, get into things, and steal fish.  And then someone pointed me to this Benjamin Franklin quote:

For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country . . .

Very interesting, although I don't know if the turkey would have been any better

ever been turkey hunting?  they are smart birds with some vicious talons
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#12]
So you are saying the Bald Eagle is opportunistic and athletically/intellectually superior to a hawk the does the fishing? Nice
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'll kick your ass and take your fish, your mama's fish, your...

What's a fish?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:42:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Cue up the "Bitch stole my fish pic."
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:59:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Look at my fuckin' wattles.

Look.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top