Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 11:28:24 PM EDT

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico – Gunmen burst into a drug treatment center in the northern Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez and shot to death 10 people, the second such mass killing this month.

Investigators
said the attack was part of a turf battle between the Juarez and
Sinaloa cartels in the city, which has seen the worst of Mexico's drug
gang violence.

Gangs use some drug treatment centers to hide their members from rivals, Chihuahua state Attorney General Patricia Rodriguez said. She did not name suspects or say which cartel may have been behind the massacre.

Police say nine men and one woman were killed in the attack just before midnight Tuesday at the Anexo de Vida center in Mexico's most violent city. Two people were seriously wounded.

Most of the victims are believed to have been recovering addicts staying at the facility.

"Why?
Why them?" said Pilar Macias, weeping after she identified the body of
her brother, Juan Carlos Macias, 39. "He was recovering, he wanted to
get back on the right track and they didn't let him, they didn't give
him a chance."

"This is going to kill my mother," Macias said. "She's very sick and this is going to kill her."

Macias said the mother had encouraged her son to enter the facility for treatment of his cocaine addiction three months ago.

Maria Hernandez also had come to the state prosecutor's office to identify the body of her 25-year son.

"He
was good, he didn't hang out with gangs, he didn't have 'narco'
friends," she said. "He just began with marijuana, and then ... they
killed him."

Pools of dry blood and bloodied footprints were visible Wednesday in the courtyard of the drug and alcohol rehab center where the shooting occurred.

The center is located in a poor neighborhood with dirt streets, some of which were impassable due to recent rains.

Regional Deputy Attorney General
Alejandro Pariente said records showed the center had not been
registered with the government and may have been operating
clandestinely. He said 10 other centers in Ciudad Juarez have been closed for operating illegally.

On Sept. 2, gunmen lined patients against a wall at another rehabilitation center in Ciudad Juarez and then riddled them with bullets, killing 18.

Five
men were killed at another rehabilitation center in June, and in August
2008, gunmen barged into a pastor's sermon at a rehabilitation center
and opened fire, killing eight people. Authorities have not said if any
of the attacks are related.

The Juarez cartel, named after its historic base in the border state of Chihuahua, is locked in a bloody battle with the Sinaloa cartel, another long-established gang, for lucrative drug routes into the United States.

Ciudad Juarez is Mexico's
most violent city, with more than 1,300 killings this year. The
bloodshed has continued despite a buildup in troops since March.

Early
Wednesday, gunmen burst into a bar in Ciudad Juarez and shot to death
five men, police said. They said they knew of no motive for the attack.
Hours later, a federal investigator and a civilian were shot dead in
front of the state attorney general's offices in Ciudad Juarez.

Surging gang violence has claimed 13,500 lives since President Felipe Calderon took office in 2006 and deployed extra soldiers across the country to fight cartels.

Also Wednesday, navy personnel arrested of a suspect in the June 1
kidnapping of Francisco Serrano, the customs administrator for the Gulf
coast state of Veracruz, who remains missing.

Jose Osiris was captured in the port of Veracruz along with 10
other people who may have been accomplices, Navy spokesman Jose Luis
Vergara said at a news conference in which the suspects were presented
to the media.

Authorities, who did not take questions at the news conference,
did not say what evidence there was against Osiris or if his capture
might shed light on Serrano's fate. Ricardo Najera, a spokesman for the
attorney general's office, said Serrano's whereabouts remain unknown.

Serrano had recently launched a new system to check shipping
containers at Veracruz, one of Mexico's most important ports and the
scene of increasing drug violence.

In the southern state of Guerrero, meanwhile, police reported they had found the decomposed bodies
of four men by the side of a highway. Because of their poor condition,
the cause of death and identity of the bodies has not yet been
established.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
so  "my baby didn't do nuthin'"    ?

who were the 'gunmen' that want control of the U.S. routes?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought this was going to be a repost until reading the date. Jesus, Mexico is fucked.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:04:38 AM EDT
[#3]
well another case of CoC prevents me from making comment......

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:54:37 AM EDT
[#4]
This is an example, an extreme example, of why I haven't had anything to do with druggies and "tweekers" my whole life.  I watched the hippies arrive on the scene and shit on everything they touched, and that was a pretty good lesson.  I pity those born in later times that have never known a life where widespread drug use was not the norm, and accepted by a very large percentage of the population.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:03:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I have to wonder if the bad guys figure once you are clean and sobered up that you will decide to turn a new leaf and rat on the cartel members.
That or this is a whole new form of terrorism, stay hooked and stay happy, get clean and die quickly,,,,,,
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:12:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have to wonder if the bad guys figure once you are clean and sobered up that you will decide to turn a new leaf and rat on the cartel members.

That or this is a whole new form of terrorism, stay hooked and stay happy, get clean and die quickly,,,,,,
That would be the case.  These guys are all hooked on their own products, that is what fuels such violence.  It is like in No Country For Old Men, when Tommy Lee Jones says      " looks like they died of natural causes".  This is the natural end in that business.  Feel bad for those who died along with them though.  Some people really do turn their lives around when they get clean.  I have seen it firsthand.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:23:02 AM EDT
[#7]
90% of our problems come from mexico.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
90% of our problems come from mexico.

I like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top