Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2009 11:04:41 PM EDT
I have a Cadillac (so I'm sure the fuel pump is absurdly complicated somehow.) I stupidly drove it on low for a week out of laziness. Well, it seemed to run out of gas today on the highway. I put about a half-gallon in, and it wouldn't start. I was pretty sure I burnt out my fuel pump. Tow truck took me home, of course the car starts then because even with a blown fuel pump the ride back could have preempted the flow. So I'm thinking... fuck it. Let's drive it to the gas station and see if the half gallon I put it just wasn't enough. So I get there (it's about 2 minutes away from where I was.) I fill up the tank. I take it back on the road, take sharp turns, hammered the accelerator trying to get it to stall again.

It didn't, and I got it back home. But... my concern is, could it still be a burned out fuel pump just waiting for a terrible opportunity to give up again?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#1]
fuel filter

maybe one inline, but for sure one is in the tank on the receiving end of the pump

try the inline option first - cheaper

the one on the pump will probably result in dropping the fuel tank, removing the pump, and installing a new pump.... haven't changed only the filter portion of the pump myself, but maybe your parts guy can get you only that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Every time you run it out of fuel or really low the fuel pump takes a shot. I would not worry about it if it runs good now. If fuel pump is on its way out it would be hard starting and poor acceleration are the first two symptoms you would see. The reason the 1/2 gallon didn't do the trick was either it wasnt enough to cover pickup or the lines were empty and it had to purge air out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#3]
add....

turn the ignition to "on", do not engauge the starter, and listen for a soft click - that's the fuel pump engauging. If you can hear the click, it's more than likely working.

alternatively, pop the hood, remove the fancy plastic shroud covering the engine, then remove the feul line from the intake / carbeurator and turn the key - if fuel flows from the line, the pump is working
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
fuel filter

maybe one inline, but for sure one is in the tank on the receiving end of the pump

the one on the pump will probably result in dropping the fuel tank, removing the pump, and installing a new pump.... haven't changed only the filter portion of the pump myself, but maybe your parts guy can get you only that.

Interesting. God I hope so, I'll be pissed as hell if it's the pump even if it is my fault haha
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Should be fine.
I run my truck low all the time. Sometimes only 1 or 2 gals. left in it.
I've run it out before. Had it since new, now has 100,000+ miles.
Most likely 1/2 gal was enough for it to pick up. I had that happen in my jeep once.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

fuel filter

Interesting. God I hope so, I'll be pissed as hell if it's the pump even if it is my fault haha

Even if it was the pump, it'd be covered under warranty.  Just don't tell them you ran it out of gas.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the help guys! I'm not a car person at all. But you guys kept it simple enough even for a car-moron like me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
fuel filter

Even if it was the pump, it'd be covered under warranty.  Just don't tell them you ran it out of gas.

Yea... that's a good point, too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Should be fine, I had a truck with dual tanks I ran out all the time.

GM vehicles are really hard to get started when they run out of gas and can take a while.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
So if I read this correctly, your car is running fine?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Wait, you bought a brand new Caddy and can't put more than a half gallon of fuel in it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wait, you bought a brand new Caddy and can't put more than a half gallon of fuel in it?

haha no it's all I had in the can in the trunk
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It seemed to be, but I was warned it might just be running because the tow truck ride preempted the flow.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

yeah... I didn't read quite as well

sounds like you're a-ok with a brand new 2010 vehicle that would be covered by warranty

you just ran out of fuel and didn't put enough in it for it to run reliably, until you filled the tank

you should be fine
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 on the the fuel comment. Seems to me if you can afford a 2010 Caddy you can afford to put some gas in it...you do know that it doesn't cost any more to keep it at 1/2 all the time then it does on empty, right?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:39:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
+1 on the the fuel comment. Seems to me if you can afford a 2010 Caddy you can afford to put some gas in it...you do know that it doesn't cost any more to keep it at 1/2 all the time then it does on empty, right?

I agree. It was a case of the gas station being slightly out of the way between my commutings, and me being lazy and pulling the "I'll fill up tomorrow" card. It's completely my fault.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#17]

done it many times myself, but on a 94 GMC pickup

ran out of gas several times just pulling into the work parking lot

luckily, it started again and got me a block down the road to the gas station after my assignments

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
add....

turn the ignition to "on", do not engauge the starter, and listen for a soft click - that's the fuel pump engauging. If you can hear the click, it's more than likely working.

alternatively, pop the hood, remove the fancy plastic shroud covering the engine, then remove the feul line from the intake / carbeurator and turn the key - if fuel flows from the line, the pump is working

uh....not entirely right, the pump can get weak resulting in low pressure or low volume
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top