Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/16/2009 6:54:57 PM EDT
if this can happen to a 19 year CHP veteran, it can happen to you.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local-beat/Deadly-Accident-Prompts-Floor-Mat-Warning-59394687.html
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#1]
no hot linky
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
no hot linky

sorry took a second try.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Happened in my Chevy a while back...fortunately I was able to reach between my legs and pull the mat backwards...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Happened in my Chevy a while back...fortunately I was able to reach between my legs and pull the mat backwards...

lol

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Or turn the ignition off or put the car in neutral...

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Why didn't he shift into neutral, or turn off the ignition?

ETA: beaten by TWO seconds
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#8]
What a tard, throw it in neutral...

Day 1 Driver's Ed.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't understand why he didn't put the car in neutral?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#10]
The ignition key is right there...

Runaway shouldn't be any cause for alarm, panic or flaming brakes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Unfortunate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Why not just turn the key to "Off"?  Not far enough to lock the wheel, but just enough to kill the engine?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why didn't he shift into neutral, or turn off the ignition?

ETA: beaten by TWO seconds

X100.  Just shift to neutral, and turn the damn key off.  No fuss, no drama.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

same here happened in my vette

you ever do that WOT in a vette LOL

floor is close just reached down with my right hand

didn't even seem dangerous more of a hmm that was weird thing

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Panicked.  I had the accelerator stick on a car once and I luckily throw it in neutral after doing a few donuts in a farmers field.  After getting it in neutral I then turned the key to off.  It was scary as shit for about 5-10 seconds though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]
has time to call 911 yet cant stop the car?
[#17]
1. Pull the mat back.

2. Neutral/ignition.

[#18]
Put trans in neutral and pull over.

Damn I'm slow.

Typing with one hand and holding my baby girl with the other one
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I had that happen once, I had no idea what was going on. I was driving a stick though so I just pushed in the clutch and it was bouncing off the revlimiter until I realized the issue.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe there's more to the story.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Maybe there's more to the story.

I'll stick with my, "he's a tard," comment.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#22]

That shit happened to me on my FIRST day after getting my license.   I started accelerating towards a red light with cars going through the intersection ahead of me.
I put it in neutral and turned off the key, while scanning for exits in case I couldn't stop.

I survived.  I thought I was pretty badass for a 1 day new driver.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

same here happened in my vette

you ever do that WOT in a vette LOL

floor is close just reached down with my right hand

didn't even seem dangerous more of a hmm that was weird thing

I've had it happen once before too and all it takes is reaching down to pull the mat back.  It's crazy how some people react differently in similar situations.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Panicked.  .

19 Year CHP panicked in a car situation.

He literally must have spent half his life driving a car every day all day.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Even trained people sometimes have a moment where they fail to remember the basics at times, unfortunately this fine man had his on that day with a family along for the ride.

Sucks and there is always human nature and Murphy's law just hanging right there waiting.

Quoted:

The ignition key is right there...

Runaway shouldn't be any cause for alarm, panic or flaming brakes.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

1. Pull the mat back.

2. Neutral/ignition.

3. Downshift (if its an actual pedal sticking not from floor mat and you can't get it to shut off).

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Really though?

As everyone else has said, throw it in neutral and turn it off. E-brake is another viable option.

The fact that there was enough time to call 911 while it was happening is a sure sign of stupid.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Panicked.  .

I imagine it'd be akin to the "some cops aren't gun guys" even though they can carry one on their hip every hour of every shift.   Some people just aren't car guys or have little common sense.   /shrug

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#29]
General aviation has a version of this too.

Smaller, propeller driven aircraft sometimes use a device known as a "gust lock" which locks the rudder pedals in the cockpit to prevent movement of the rudder in high wind conditions while the aircraft is parked.

About 20 years ago there was a small cargo plane that was taking off from an airport in Texas (IIRC), and all through the preflight checks, engine start, and taxiing, neither the pilot nor the co-pilot realized that there was a gust lock on the rudder pedals (which is a pretty monumental fuck up).

They rotated the aircraft with the gust lock still locked onto the pedals.

CVR captured their final moments as they suddenly realized it was there, and they fought desperately to remove it in flight.

The aircraft stalled and crashed, killing the entire crew.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#30]
How would you like to die a fiery death just because someone else was too dumb/panicky to put the damn thing in neutral?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Did he forget the brakes still work, even at full throttle?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
has time to call 911 yet cant stop the car?

CHP guy was driving, brother in law was on the phone.

yeah, panic can do bad things to your mind.

and while we can think clearly sitting here at our confortable chair at the computer, at 125 MPH in heavy traffic, things might be a little different.

while I  can't say for sure, I wasn't there, so I don't know what he tried or didn't try.

sad anyway you look at it though.

especially for his family.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#33]
This is pretty sad... we have five vehicles, none have floor mats.  Three don't even have carpeting, just bare metal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#34]
they said it was a pushbutton ignition and he didnt know you had to hold it for like 5 seconds
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Panicked.  .

I imagine it'd be akin to the "some cops aren't gun guys" even though they can carry one on their hip every hour of every shift.   Some people just aren't car guys or have little common sense.   /shrug

A cop doesn't pull his gun out and use it every single day, all day long.  A CHP officer patrols the highway every stinking day driving a car. Maybe he was a motorcycle CHP guy.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#36]
How does the accelerator stick down at the same time the brake pedal won't go down AND you can't turn the car off (suggested by the 911 operator before they crashed) AND you can't throw it into neutral? How does a veteran cop lose it that bad to forget everything when they had time to call 911 and were going all of 70 mph according to the story???

It sucks that they died but WTF.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm guessing the mat was also under the brake pedal, but I don't see how a floor mat can get that bunched up that he couldn't even get any braking. Not to mention there were several other options available to him.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
they said it was a pushbutton ignition and he didnt know you had to hold it for like 5 seconds

So he should have thrown it into neutral.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I had an '87 Mustang that did that several times.  I finally threw the mat out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing the mat was also under the brake pedal, but I don't see how a floor mat can get that bunched up that he couldn't even get any braking. Not to mention there were several other options available to him.

How fucking thick is that floor mat!?

This whole story reeks of Darwin Award.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I feel bad for the passengers in the car, but the driver was an idiot.  SOOO many ways to avoid that...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or turn the ignition off or put the car in neutral...

QFT.

Sorry, but the 19 year CHP veteran wasn't thinking clearly.

Shift car to neutral.   Maybe the engine wrecks itself, but a new engine is much better than a dead family.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I do my best to not speak ill of the dead, especially recently departed police officers.

I have had this happen and corrected it, which leads me to believe that...something else contributed to the accident.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Lots of armchair quarterbacking in this thread.  It only takes a few seconds to realize something is wrong, and then a few more to panic, before all your seconds are used up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm willing to bet it was something other than the floor mats.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lots of armchair quarterbacking in this thread.  It only takes a few seconds to realize something is wrong, and then a few more to panic, before all your seconds are used up.

Then Darwin strikes because you can't think of the simple obvious answer.

Armchair quarterbacking?   ROFL.  This was SUCH a complex situation and the guy dealing with it was a **19 YEAR VETERAN** of the CHP.  A guy who probably spent 8 hours a day driving.  And it never occurred to him that the N on his gearshift could stop the car from accelerating?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

some cars have safety devices that prevent this.

so push button ignition, can't shift to neutral,. and at 125 MPH at full throttle I don't think the brakes would last that long before the heat built up and brake fade entered the picture.

like I said we're all the smartest guys on the internet safe at home, but shit happens fast at 125 MPH.  from 911 call to crash was something like 48 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

some cars have safety devices that prevent this.

so push button ignition, can't shift to neutral,. and at 125 MPH at full throttle I don't think the brakes would last that long before the heat built up and brake fade entered the picture.

like I said we're all the smartest guys on the internet safe at home, but shit happens fast at 125 MPH.  from 911 call to crash was something like 48 seconds.

I've never been in a car that couldn't shift to neutral.  If such a thing exists, let me know what model so I can never buy one.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

But in this case, they used up all of their seconds - after the initial realization and panic - to talk to a 911 operator.

Sounds to me like its more of the usual - people needing to ask an "authority" to figure out WTF they need to do next.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Being able to call 911 and get an operator on the phone is more than a few seconds. If the floor mat was the cause then he fucked up. He should have been able to resolve the situation before anyone even had the chance to suggest calling 911. My .02.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top