Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/16/2009 5:47:21 PM EDT
The only nice thing about summer in Phoenix is that most of the snowbirds and tourists leave and the bums stop begging. Now that the temperature has started dipping below 100, they are starting to come out again. This fat bitch on the freeway off ramp today had the audacity to hold a sign saying "hungry."

Anyway, what do you do?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I ignore them. Only once in a while I give them some change.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
usually grumble to myself and give them the stink eye.  pisses me off when i see the SAME guy every day at the SAME time and the SAME exit from the interstate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Ignore them.

Good work on the multiple choice poll.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I passed one on the way home from work, big ol bitch, said need food, hungry no work, some other crap.  shit she was next to a Micky D's with a help wanted sign
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I've started telling them that since Obama is going to raise my taxes, that I don't have any spare CHANGE to hand out.

I'm telling people that call me at home with their fund-raising pitches the same thing!

FUCK OBAMA!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Give them some change if I have it..... But I haven't encountered a bum in years..... Since we moved out into the sticks......
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
i simply ignore them although sometimes i wish it was legal to throw stuff at them

eta, Atlanta bums are persistent
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I tell them no thanks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#9]
My standard reply, polite but firm: "Sorry, I don't have any money on me."

Then walk swiftly away while maintaining high SA.

With the down economy, I've been seeing a lot of this in store parking lots (especially WAL-MART, as you might have guessed), and I always view these situations as possible "set ups" for mugging attempts.

Hate to sound paranoid, but I am never in anything less than condition yellow when I am in public these days.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The only time that I have EVER given money to a begger was when he came into the TacoBell/KFC I was eating at and asked if he could wash car windows for money for food.  I took him to the counter and told him to order anything he wanted and then I added like four bottles of water to the order.

I will NEVER give money to somebody on the side of the road.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't ever see them asking for change, They're usually hanging out on benches smoking and just say Hi or good morning as I go by.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]
If he's got a sign that says "will work for food", I tell him "shit, buddy, I do that 5 days a week".
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't give them Money!

You only enable them.

A guy who spent a year on purpose  living as a homeless guy.

The best thing you can do is to buy them a meal and
sit with them as you eat it and listen to their story

The worst is to give them money
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to give them a little something (Thinking that THAT was the "nice" thing to do).

These days....I don't give 'em shit.

The vast majority of them are soliciting $$$ from strangers because they've screwed-over everyone who had a legit' reason to care for them (Family, friends...ect) for years ("Gee grandma, I love you but I really needed to drain your bank account to fund my addiction") and now they're trying to elicit a sense of compassion from people who don't know their histories.

Fuck 'em.

You wanna hand over your money to them to make yourself feel better...?....good on you!

I won't give 'em shit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Spare some change? Change comes from within mother fucker.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't give them Money!

You only enable them.

A guy who spent a year on purpose  living as a homeless guy.

The best thing you can do is to buy them a meal and
sit with them as you eat it and listen to their story

The worst is to give them money

Ahhhh........ I don't give a shit.... the government steals it from me..... Might as well give a bum a little change to buy a bottle of cisco or thunderbird.......... fuck it!

Still waiting on karma to come back around from all of the nice shit I do for people!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I generally just ignore them.  I gave one a beer when I was out in Vegas because it was hot and I gave another one a cheesburger.  Sure, it makes me sick that they've lost enough self respect that they'd rather beg for help from other people rather than trying to pull themselves up, but anyone can fall on hard times; especially now, so I don't think it's really right to yell at them or throw shit at them.

The ones that really burn my ass are the ones that "need help" to eat or for their church or to feed their kids or other sob story that you see taking money all day from those who earned it and are trying to lend a hand to someone who is down and then you see them putting it up their nose or swilling it down at the bar later.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I just look at them.

Its the kind of look that makes beggars instantly be quiet and walk away quickly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I prepare to blade at 45 in my jeep.... Just in case.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just look at them.

Its the kind of look that makes beggars instantly be quiet and walk away quickly.

might be the mask.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#21]
"Change?.........Obama didn't send you yours yet?"

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I try to ask them for money before they can ask me.
Throws them off.    
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I volunteered at a soup kitchen for around five years in college/grad school.

I don't give bums anything.  Experience teaches you that giving them anything (INCLUDING FOOD) enables them.  

You want to help them get off the street?  Don't give them anything.  Nothing incentivizes you to get off your ass and work like the Grim Reaper pointing his scythe at your empty stomach.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#24]
when I see'em I wonder if they are one of the ones making 50 g's a yr panhandling.

I give nothing
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#25]
ignore them
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I just look at them.

Yup, & moves right on to the next mark.

He knows he'd just be wasting time because you've told him, without saying a word, he ain't getting anything.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Depends. If they look like they could go to McDonalds and work, I'll tell them to get a fucking job like everyone else.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I work in downtown 'Frisco (but don't live there
) and I deal with it everyday just getting in and out of the building I work in.

I was in a fast food place getting breakfast one day, and this crazy street skel came in and was harassing the counter workers to give him something free. When that didn't work he went around asking the other customers until he got to me

Crazy Bum; 'give me some money'

Lon_Moer;

Crazy Bum; 'c'mon man you gots some spare change'

Lon_Moer;

"are you fucking crazy??"

Crazy Bum; "THAT'S WHAT MY MOMMA ALWAYS SAYS!!"

Lon_Moer;  
"I'm sure she's quite proud of you."

Crazy Bum;

and leaves the building
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I give them directions to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington D.C.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#31]
If approached, I hand 'em a coupon from this place: Step 13

There's a coupon from that place for a free meal for the panhandler.  Then I let them know that is where my charity/hand-out money goes.

It's located in Denver, but there are likely similar programs in most major ciities.  It's a better alternative than giving away money to those people just to get them to go away.  Once confronted with the coupon, it's usually easy to read their reaction and figure out if they're just scammin'... which most are.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#32]

I ignore their pleas for money, because nine out of ten times, it's for cheap booze.

Then, I start watching my back in case it's a robbery attempt, until I leave the area. Dopers have used such tactics for years to get the money for their "fix". And they'll kill for it, if bad off enough.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#33]
i stopped being nice one day when i saw a guy standing there with a sigh which said " will work for food", i pulled up, and said to the guy - " hey man, if you want to work, i'll pay you $15/hr, and buy you lunch to do some yard work at my office" .... he said " $15/hr fuck you asshole i make $50+/hr  just standing here"

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#34]

There is a seemingly harmless looking guy who I believe to be schizophrenic that sometimes hangs out in front of the gormet grecery store up the street. I have never seen him speak to anyone. Just minds his own business but sticks out like a sore thumb in this afluent area.

I buy him a sandwich from the deli when I see him. Last time I got him tomato, mozzerella, basil and prossuttio. I hope he liked it.

If you don't ask, I will give.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I usually tell them that I don't carry cash.  If they press it and want to get wordy, I find a quick and easy way to tell them that they don't have credit card debt and technically are better off than me.  That followed by "would you give ME money?  It's only fair..." usually shuts them up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm going to start doing what a fellow ARFCOMMER suggested in a different bum thread.  

If they ask for money, offer them $50 for one of their fingers.  They'll either think you're one crazy mofo and leave you alone or you'll end up with a finger for $50.  Either way you come out on top.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#37]
When I lived in Calgary it was really bad there. I almost always ignored them. Then one day I was leaving KFC and one was pestering some lady getting in her truck. When he got to me I ignored him and got in mine. That pissed him off so he stood at my window yelling at me. I put it in reverse and backed up pissing him off more. He then stood in front of my truck yelling and cussing So I honked and jumped it at him. He decided it was a bad idea to stand in front of me and moved to the side. I took off but just missed a chance to pull out on the street. He ran up and started trying to break my window. So I left two long black marks and almost got to put one over his toes. Cops wouldn't even investigate. I have bought a couple some dollar menu stuff when they were outside or came into McDonalds. So I am not a total cold hearted bastard.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#38]
These people are ALL drug addicts and alcoholics.  Never give them money.  I will occasionally give them a small print AA book if they get aggressive.  They hate that.  I keep a few in my glove box for just that purpose
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I ignore them. Only once in a while I give them some change.

+1  but for me it's only once in a blue moon!

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just look at them.

might be the mask.
I only wear that on special occasions.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#41]
If they're begging on the side of the road, i'll usually ignore them.  If i have any food, i'll offer it to them.  If I don't sense sincerity when they say thank you, or if they don't gobble the food up right there, i suspect they're up to no good.  For anyone who has ate at Niko Nikos in Houston (mediterranean food), i went out with a girl there, and had some leftovers.  on the way home, i gave a homeless guy about $20 worth of food, and he seemed unenthusiastic about that.  I was pretty pissed, because I gave him some fucking good food.  Another time, I went to Academy and saw an older homeless gentleman in a wheel chair.  I asked him if he wanted anything from Jack in the Box, and I think all he wanted were some tacos.  I asked if he wanted fries or onion rings, and he said fries would be fine.  then i asked if he wanted a soda or drink or antying, and he just wanted water.  I bought him that food and handed it to him face to face.

ETA: never give em money.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Ignore them and hope they go away.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I just look at them.

might be the mask.

like when you're going to have one eat their own brain?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#45]
In Memphis, "I'm on the clock" is some kind of code that you are an undercover cop.  Say that, and they move on.  There are some AGGRESSIVE bums downtown, too.

Though, I always prefer the old standby, "Back off, or I will splatter your brains all over that wall".  That seems to work, too.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just look at them.

might be the mask.

like when you're going to have one eat their own brain?
And when I feel like insulting Congresswomen.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I usually ignore them but if I have food on hand I'll offer it to them. I actually came across a beggar is SF and had some left over spaghetti and offered it to him and his reply was that "I don't like spaghetti".
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#48]
I hate friggin bums!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#49]
I think some of those "bums" may have a higher annual income than I do, so I never give them money or anything.

Here's how I figure it: A "bum" parks his/her ass at a busy intersection where about 200 cars will pass by per hour. If only 5-10% of those motorists pass out a buck that's $10-20 an HOUR, TAX-FREE! Lots of people don't realize that these "bums" show up at their spots in the morning (usually before rush hour) and sit there all fucking day collecting money.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that full time 40 hrs a week bums have a $35K annual income, all with no tax. Lots of people work hard at jobs for 40, even 50 hrs a week and have less to show for it than a roadside bum.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Rest the barrel on the window sill. Wait for them to realize the meaning of life.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top