Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2009 5:25:02 PM EDT
Anyone else feel the urge? What's an average price to get a functional one and not a wall hanger?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the consensus is that the Cold Steel swords are about as cheap as you can go and still be functional.  $200-300 and up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure it's able dismember an intruder.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a WWII Japanese NCO sword.
It was captured on the Philippines.
It is really cool IMO. It rolls out of the scabbard (or whatever the hell you call it) like it is on greased roller bearings.

Like This

Mine isn't worth much, somebody spray painted it gold  (The scabbard and handle, not the blade)  I got it as part of a gun trade.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out Bud K for swords. Cheap.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#5]
See what a college student can do:

MD College Student kills intruder
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
My buddy has a nice one. I must say it is so fucking sharp I am scared to fuck with it. I didn't think I would be, I played with it for a minute but when I ran my finger across the blade and it was razor sharp. I didnt feel the need to do any fancy sword practicing with it. I promptly handed it back to him and asked him to please sheath that fucker in my house.

lol
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anybody have any thoughts on me trying to restore the sword I have ?
I guess I could just try to spray paint it the original color.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#9]
If it is an original Samurai DO NOT TOUCH IT. You will kill any value.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you want to ruin it.

Ruin it ?
It's spray painted Gold

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

See what a college student can do:

MD College Student kills intruder

This story made me want to get one too

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Cold Steel or Paul Chen practical are decent starting points.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Something like Paul Chen makes good users for $2-300.  In general Cold Steel should be avoided; pure garbage...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone else feel the urge? What's an average price to get a functional one and not a wall hanger?

http://kriscutlery.com/documents/japanese.html

i have an older 26 inch - works just fine for cutting bamboo matts and cardboard tubes

i like it better then the paul chens IMHO
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You mean like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e77oXjFkIs

I love that.
The first time I saw it I played it over and over, laughing my ass off every time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Check on ebay... there's a maker... Alex Chen or something.  Something 'Chen'.   He makes a 'practical katana' that is pretty good for the money, so I hear.

I'd like to get a Wakizashi to use as a bug-out type blade.

ETA:  PAUL CHEN.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You mean like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e77oXjFkIs

ahh... a classic.

Couple links for the OP:

Sword Shopper's Guide
Ask around these forums

You'll poke your eye out, kid...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Do not get a cheap sword… ever. By “cheap” I mean one of those sharp wall hangers. They look terrible, they are dangerous to have around, they are dangerous to use. Having one would be about like having an ugly pot metal AR-15 replica that chambers real ammo, and is always loaded.

One big step up from the cheap wall hangers are the swords made by Hanwei, Cold Steel, and Kris Cutlery. These will cost about 200-300 dollars or so and they are made to be used. They aren’t really good swords and they aren’t overly pretty. But they will generally hold an edge and cut things.

Keep in mind that a real sword is very dangerous. A casual swing can inflict a fatal wound. Since people love to go swinging swords around, you will have to keep your sword secured in a safe or something. Swords can’t be unloaded either.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I have been looking at swords here...link

I have been looking for a long time for a nice sword for a decent price.
The swords I see at the gunshows are mostly junk.

After reading about the guy who sliced and diced that robber, I am thinking I need a good sword to go with the firearms.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#22]
http://swordforum.com/fall99/lineup-1.html

give this a quick read
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#23]
This reminds me... I have a decent blade I got (offa ebay, yeah... ) that is in shirasaya, but the wood is cheap and cracking.  The blade looks very nice, has a very nice shape, but isn't polished too well.  It DEFINITELY has a pattern welded appearance.  The blade also smells smoky.    I know I removed the tsuka, but can't remember if there were any stampings on the nakago.  

I know it's probably not some super valuable, rare blade, but it seems nice.  I wonder how much it would cost to get fitted with a traditional style tsuka and saya.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#24]
One of my old co workers studied sword. I thought it was ghey but thats jut my opinion. His sword, though, was awesome. It cost more than my truck and it was beautiful. He explained to me why it was so expensive and pointed out all the key points that make his sword legit, and it was impressive. When we had down time he showed me a thing or two about how to wield a katana. That fuckin dork had SKILLS.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nope try to have the original gold spray paint removed.

I have heard there are paint removers that will take away certain types of paint, like spray paint and leave the base layer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I want one also but I don't want some pussy one. A real sword that could take down a bamboo tree with one swipe is what I would want.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#27]
http://www.sword-saint.com/index.php

That guy has functional ones made and imported to CA. He's the carryover from the now-closed Oniforge.

Good reviews on the old Oni's.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#28]
http://www.chenessinc.com/

Good functional swords for the money, but only buy the 9260 steel version.  I have the Yamakami and it cuts through tatami mats like butter.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Kris Cutlery would be a good entry level blade.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I would really like a Himalayan Imports katana but I don't have the skillz to use one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#31]
ost
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#33]
If you want a functional Sword that can be used and trusted in combat go Here. Bugei swords are not cheap but they are very good.

ETA: Get a mogito (dull practice sword) first.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Good functional swords for the money, but only buy the 9260 steel version.  I have the Yamakami and it cuts through tatami mats like butter.

THose look pretty descent that guy hacking the wood with one was fairly impressive. I would love to have a real sword made the old skool way but those are really expensive so i have heard.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Well,

A functional one like a Cold Steel will be about $300

A pretty functional one from a maker like Walter Sorrels will be about $3,000

A real Tamahagane sword from a maker who made his own steel... well... the sky's the limit.

For what it's worth, I make knives...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#38]
these seem nice

http://www.ryansword.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id=97

Not too expensive unless you get a high end one thats fancy or has top grade steel
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I kind of want to start carrying a wakizashi on my gunbelt.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd probably cut my own hand off.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a chance to buy an authentic Samurai Sword at about 30% of true value. The sword needed restored and the owner told me how much it would take to fix it and who I would need to send it to in Japan, but I didn't go for it. Should have though.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I, personally, prefer a military hammer, I use a horseman's hammer as they are made to be used one handed.

Pick on one side, horribly painful hammer on the other.

If he's wearing armor, the pick goes through it like a hot knife through butter.

If he's not wearing armor - the pick goes through HIM like a hot knife through butter.

The hammer is good for crushing blows on things like knee caps, hands, feet.... that kind of thing.

Plus, it's hard to cut yourself with it.

Mine looks very similar to this one...

Except mine has a nice (sharp!!) pointy spike on the top as well.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
these seem nice

http://www.ryansword.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id=97

Not too expensive unless you get a high end one thats fancy or has top grade steel

No Tsuba looks like a recipe for disaster, also that guys cutting technique sucks.

Before I was into guns I was into swords,  I could nerd out about swords all day long but basically you've already been given a lot of good info here.

Personally if I still liked japanese style swords I would be looking more at the  1,000- 1,500 market.  Aesthetically there's a lot that goes into a japanese style sword and even a 1,000 model is a lower end replica but still has enough of the details to appreciate as an art piece as well as a weapon.

Before I kind of got out of the sword hobby I was much more into european weapons but I can still appreciate a nice japanese style sword.  It's about the same thing with a gun, you wouldn't cheap out and get an ugly "just good enough" gun that usually goes "bang". You want something quality so that you can be proud to posess it, at least I would.

if you just want to have something vaguely japanese looking that can actually cut stuff then a lower end replica such as the Hanwei "Practical katana" and it's more expensive sister would suffice.

It's really a matter of what type of balance are you looking for.  I demand functionality as well as aesthetics so I would look at spending as much on a good sword as I would on a really nice AR. If you just want functionality you can get away with spending less but you still want to drop a couple hundred at least because sometimes unpredictable things like blades snapping and flying through the air at high speeds happen otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I love the folded Bounty on the rack to hold the blade.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
sometimes unpredictable things like blades snapping and flying through the air at high speeds happen otherwise.

Yes, but as long as it's not you that it happens too, it's something to laugh about. And funny always wins. Like that QVC video a cupla posts ago.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks fuckers I just bought a Hanwei Practical Katana LOL

now WTF am I gonna do with it ?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Look in to practicing Ninjutsu. Find a local Bujinkan Dojo. I promise you, you will not find a better fighting style in regards to hand to hand as well as various weapons including swords.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look in to practicing Ninjutsu. Find a local Bujinkan Dojo. I promise you, you will not find a better fighting style in regards to hand to hand as well as various weapons including swords.

or I can go stab hay bales

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Having a sword in the home increases the chances of a loved one being injured by it.  No one needs a sword- they're only for killing people.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top