Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 4:22:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I say "Great!"  

If they ban guns, it will obviously mean all of the criminals won't be able to use them any more.  Maybe more cities will follow suit; I think the local ACORN offices would be the best place to turn in said weapons; think of the children.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Pittsburgh at one time had a gun ban on certain guns but it was thrown out due to a state preemption law.

They did not learn the first time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#3]
More for everyone else
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Want (Wish) in one hand........Shit in the other.

Guess which hand will be full first.

preemption baby, gotta love it!

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Well I say "Great!"  

If they ban guns, it will obviously mean all of the criminals won't be able to use them any more.  Maybe more cities will follow suit; I think the local ACORN offices would be the best place to turn in said weapons; think of the children.

Absolutely. No guns = no crime.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep, they can't do it without changing the state constitution, and that is highly unlikely.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#7]
And I want a magical koala that shits gold bricks, but it ain't gonna happen.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Constitution does not allow it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Well I say "Great!"  

Absolutely. No guns = no crime.

Correct!

all the studies prove this to be true

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Apparently Chicago didn't get that memo.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently Chicago didn't get that memo.

How does Pennsylvania's constitution effect Chicago?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Dont get your panties in a bunch, they only wanted to ban "assault" weapons from the G20 Summit. Remember the black guy with the slung AR, they want that banned. Nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Dont get your panties in a bunch, they only wanted to ban "assault" weapons from the G20 Summit. Remember the black guy with the slung AR, they want that banned. Nothing else.

This. While it is still a bunch of bullshit, it will go no where.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#14]
SHALL NOT BE QUESTIONED!!!

So even them merely discussing this ban is against the state constitution.

Preemption FTW!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#15]
state pre-emption
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#16]
PA is going down hill fast. It must be all the NYers moving down there with all their homo shit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, they can't do it without changing the state constitution, and that is highly unlikely.

But they will get it passed just for the G20 and that will be enough for the libs.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#18]
2011 NRA Annual Meeting is supposed to be in Pittsburgh.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Listen, our state government wont be able to stop it in time if they pass a city wide temporary ban.

Besides you guys keep talking about state preemption. Id be shocked if Rendells goon squad (PSP) wasnt the one to make arrests/hold for questioning anyone that dared to sling an AR.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#20]
What the heck? I would have thought Pittsburgh was mostly made up of really gun friendly type of people
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#21]
The average age of tyrants may dip.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What the heck? I would have thought Pittsburgh was mostly made up of really gun friendly type of people

When you're governed by filth, you get tyranny.
Look at the United States as a whole.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It was until that douchebag took an AK to a neighborhood.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#24]
SCOTUS will shit in their corn flakes.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Love Pittsburgh, but it's full of liberal turds.

Good luck banning my "assault weapons" from being in Pittsburgh. Ain't goin' happen.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I have boating accidents ever so often,,,seems to be after trips to the fun shop,,never had an increase in crime at my house
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:43:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

But they will get it passed just for the G20 and that will be enough for the libs.

Then if they arrest someone for possessing an AR during their little "ban", they will be in violation of the law and subject to a big fat law suit. The city is not allowed to pass any laws regarding firearms that exceed existing state laws. The simple act of passing any such law puts them in violation. Philly tries all the time and they can't do anything either. Nothing pisses off a Philly lib more than knowing there are people walking around their city legally armed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:48:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pittsburgh is attempting to violate the state preemption law, not the state constitution.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:53:50 AM EDT
[#29]
We need to give Pittsburgh to Ohio.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:57:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pittsburgh is attempting to violate the state preemption law, not the state constitution.

My understanding has always been that they amended the constitution.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:09:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding has always been that they amended the constitution.

Not in this regard. The PA RKBA clause was copied verbatim from the 1790 state constitution in all subsequent state constitutions. It has not been changed or amended since the current constitution went into effect in 1968.

Here is a list of the all the amendments to our current constitution. http://www.paconstitution.duq.edu/legislativehistory1968/index.html
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:11:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I wonder if this state will ever go back to being red.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:15:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

why give them anything at all when it violates preemption?

That'll only encourage them to do more in the future.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:18:51 AM EDT
[#34]
This shit really pisses me off!

Keep at him......I think we can convince him. (Mayor Luke Ravenstahl)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:26:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Sigh.

They have an AWB on the books but cannot enforce it due to state preemption.  Secondly, this was for the G20 protest and thanks to the NRA and people like me calling and bitching about not spending any money in the city the whole AWB for the G20 didn't pass.

They still passed some screwed up stuff that is only temporary.  This includes the fact that you cannot have padlocks, PVC pipe, etc. during the time of G20.  It all expires September 30th.  

NRA was all over this so those of you who say they don't do anything they've been addressing this since day 1.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:30:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:42:10 AM EDT
[#37]
I think that Penssyltucky's 500,000 CCW holders might have something to say about that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:45:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Oh the irony

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:47:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Then if they arrest someone for possessing an AR during their little "ban", they will be in violation of the law and subject to a big fat law suit. The city is not allowed to pass any laws regarding firearms that exceed existing state laws. The simple act of passing any such law puts them in violation. Philly tries all the time and they can't do anything either. Nothing pisses off a Philly lib more than knowing there are people walking around their city legally armed.

They'll get away with it.  The judge in Pittsburgh will then rule that for the G20 it was acceptable.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:48:46 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I think that Penssyltucky's 500,000 CCW holders might have something to say about that.

Already did along with a lot of people.  Additionally it did not happen; the G20 protester banned object law passed without guns in the mix.  The law is also temporary.

Philly tried it and of course it holds no weight.  Pittsburgh is no different and after the three cops were killed this year the police chief agreed "something had to be done."  The police union however wanted to push for patrol rifles which they got.  

The main fear it seemed was from protesters open carrying during the G20 protests.  The protests ought to be interesting next week.  I'll be around with some popcorn.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:16:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The main fear it seemed was from protesters open carrying during the G20 protests.  The protests ought to be interesting next week.  I'll be around with some popcorn.

From what I've seen of the typical G20 protestor, they are likely already prohibited from owning guns at all.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:17:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
PA is going down hill fast. It must be all the NYers moving down there with all their homo shit.

No kidding, you should see all the Islanders and Mets gear we see at Phillies and Flyers games.  Not to mention all the Giants gear (although most of them are bandwagon fans).
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We need to give Pittsburgh to Ohio.

No thanks, one Cleveland is enough. You keep yours.

As a Northern Kentuckian, I can REALLY appreciate this!  Basically we're just the large, BETTER suburbs south of Cincinnati, but Ohio doesn't claim us because "We're damn hillbillies" and KY just thinks we're yanks.  Can't win to lose, but we ALL make fun of Cleveland!

Back to the topic.... what would the city do if say, oh, 500,000 people marched in Pittsburgh WITH AR's slung on their arms during this bullshit?  What are they going to do, arrest us ALL?  Besides, we'd all have them unloaded, of course.  

The mag pouches on our hips are inconsequential.  Pay them no mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top