Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2009 1:58:55 PM EDT
Do you have to write a report on traffic tickets that are written? If so are they in much better detail than what is on the tickets?

I received a ticket the other day and the officer was never quite clear on what the infraction was stating that I had made a incorrect right turn from the wrong lane. My issue is that I was in the right hand  turn lane when I made my right hand turn. I would have most likely been let off with a warning if I had my registration and insurance information in the car with me but that's another issue.

I just want a better idea of what he saw and was wondering if I should call and request a copy of the report if there is one.

Update:
The ticket references Colorado statute 42-4-901 (1)(A). The only info I can find online is this: 42-4-903.      Turning      movements      and      required     signals.     (1)     No

5  person     shall     turn     a     vehicle     at    an    intersection    unless    the    vehicle    is    in

6  proper    position    upon    the    roadway    as    required    in    section    42-4-901,   or   turn

7  a    vehicle    to    enter    a    private    road    or    driveway,   or   otherwise   turn   a   vehicle

8  from    a    direct    course   or   move   right   or   left   upon   a   roadway   unless   and   until

9  such   movement   can   be   made   with   reasonable   {safety}

Map of intersection

I was making a right hand turn off of Qubec onto University in the turn lane.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
We do an computer generated report once we get back to the station.

Driver and vehicle info entered along with the citation so that all three can be searched.

I add a brief summary; Traffic stop on Main Street on a (color, make, model) bearing registration (ABC-1234). Driver (Joe Blow) was issued a citation for..................................(period).
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope no reports here or or any other department I know of. What you do make a right turn at a red-light where is was prohibited ?  The officers citation has a notes section that he may make  notes from the stop but I would say look up the code section that you were written under and it will tell you exactly what the law that was violated says
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]
report for a ticket that is strictly off of a traffic stop for a traffic violation? Nope, about two lines of notes on my copy and that it is.

If it is for an accident or off of a dispatched call then yeah a short report is written but not much more. This is ofcourse at my dept and I can not speak for anyone else.

J-
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
With my old department what you saw on the ticket is what we had on file. Perhaps a dispatch call log reporting the time of the stop and thats it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nope no reports here or or any other department I know of. What you do make a right turn at a red-light where is was prohibited ?  The officers citation has a notes section that he may make  notes from the stop but I would say look up the code section that you were written under and it will tell you exactly what the law that was violated says

this in MN too.. notes on back.. unless it's something like DAR, DAS, then a short report, judges/co. att likes those..
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Was the same way in NC for me too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Same here....

If there is a report, you can call the agency and ask. It should be available for you, since you were a suspect in the incident.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#8]
We do not write reports on traffice violations here. IE the non-criminal stuff. Only notes on the back of the citation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Update:
The ticket references Colorado statute 42-4-901 (1)(A). The only info I can find online is this: 42-4-903. Turning movements and required signals. (1) No

5 person shall turn a vehicle at an intersection unless the vehicle is in

6 proper position upon the roadway as required in section 42-4-901, or turn

7 a vehicle to enter a private road or driveway, or otherwise turn a vehicle

8 from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway unless and until

9 such movement can be made with reasonable {safety}

Map of intersection

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#10]
We do a one page, usually one paragraph narrative on the reason for the stop and cite.      That just goes to the court and is not kept on record at our office (just the last copy of the ticket stays).
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Update:
The ticket references Colorado statute 42-4-901 (1)(A).

He cited you for this:

42-4-901. Required position and method of turning.
(1) The driver of a motor vehicle intending to turn shall do so as follows:
(a) Right turns. Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

Apparently he felt you weren't to the right enough....

ETA:  I bet you didn't turn into the right lane on University, but swung wide into another lane.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#12]
yep if you don't move to the right after passing the parked cars or similar before turning you can catch people who did move into that lane.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:20:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Depends, We dont write actual reports, however there is a section on the back ofnour copy for Notes about the stop, usually i write the ciorscumstances briefly just to refresh my meemory when it goes to court, not that i write all that many to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:59:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top