Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2009 12:19:33 PM EDT
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/16/amtrak.guns/index.html

ASHINGTON (CNN) –– The Senate voted Wednesday to prohibit federal funding to Amtrak unless it allows licensed gun owners to transport their weapons on the passenger trains by next year.

The measure, an amendment to the Transportation and Housing Appropriations bill, passed 68-30.

The House passed its version of that appropriations bill in July. It did not include a provision to allow guns on Amtrak.

The Senate measure says Amtrak would lose federal subsidies if it prohibits passengers from bringing their guns on board under restrictions similar to those imposed on airlines.

Amtrak spokesman Steve Kulm said the railroad was working on a response to the legislation.

The measure was sponsored by Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Mississippi. He introduced the same legislation in August as part of the budget resolution, and it was approved with bipartisan support, but the provision was removed during final House-Senate negotiations.

"Under current practices, all of the American domestic airlines permit firearms in their checked luggage. Other American passenger railroads also allow checked firearms," Wicker said on the Senate floor.

"Only the federally subsidized Amtrak prohibits law-abiding American citizens from exercising their Second Amendment rights in checked baggage," he said.

Sen. Patty Murray, D-Washington, was opposed to the measure.

"In order to receive any federal funding under this amendment, Amtrak would have six months to build a process for checking and tracking firearms," she said.

"It would have to find the manpower necessary to screen and guard firearms, and it would have to purchase the equipment necessary. Now, there is nothing in the underlying appropriations to pay for any of that. So this amendment is going to put a severe burden on them, and if they do not comply, Amtrak will shut down."

The measure lays out the following guidelines:

• Before checking the bag or boarding the train, the passenger must declare that the firearm or pistol is in his or her bag and is unloaded.

• The firearm or pistol must be carried in a hard-sided container.

• The hard-sided container must be locked, and only the passenger has the combination or key.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I honestly didn't know Amtrak forbids firearm transport.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Saw that. Kind of surprised it passed.

So, why are we funding Amtrack?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
licensed gun owners

Is this just the usual media's retarded talk or do you have to have  CCW?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

[div]ASHINGTON (CNN) –– The Senate voted Wednesday to prohibit federal funding to Amtrak unless it allows licensed gun owners to transport their weapons on the passenger trains by next year.

Aside from that, the last time I rode Amtrak as a poor-ass E2 going home on leave, I could have walked on board with a fucking RPG if memory serves.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
licensed gun owners

Is this just the usual media's retarded talk or do you have to have  CCW?

I'm going with door number one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#6]
This is good.  I almost fucking choked to actually see our overlords doing something in the interest of liberty and our constitution.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[div]ASHINGTON (CNN) –– The Senate voted Wednesday to prohibit federal funding to Amtrak unless it allows licensed gun owners to transport their weapons on the passenger trains by next year.

Aside from that, the last time I rode Amtrak as a poor-ass E2 going home on leave, I could have walked on board with a fucking RPG if memory serves.

This.  And I traveled from Union Station in DC.  They kept playing a video about sniffer dogs and random searches, but not once did I actually see anyone searched.  Plus, according to the video, you can refuse random screening if you are selected, you just don't get to board the train. I'm pretty sure they'll even refund your money.

Really makes me feel safe...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Score another one for us.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Think brother number one will sign it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#10]
So why are we funding Amtrak?

+2
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Think brother number one will sign it?

I don't really care.  I don't think I"ll trust Amtrak with my gun until hell freezes over.  ...but it's another affirmation that Obama and the liberal Democrats do not own the Senate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Exactly where do they think someone of evil intent would hijack a train to?

No reason that commuters with CCW shouldn't be able to carry.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So why are we funding Amtrak?

+2

They are getting money from the stimulus.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Dodge City?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1

Especially since these fucksticks get government subsidies.  Tough to make any private property arguments on that one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#16]
You're not allowed to take guns on Amtrak?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow, didn't see that one coming.

We've got open and concealed carry up here, but carrying a gun on the RR was a no no.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Murray is getting a major bitch-out call from me today.

As in right now.  While my blood pressure is high.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Why does the federal government have any say over whether or not Amtrak allows guns?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Amtrak is incorporated in Washington, DC and the laws in force there apply to all trains and facilities.  This change is great news but if it means the porters/conductors (whatever) are going to be tasked with treating train passengers and their luggage like airline passengers get treated you'll see a big hike in prices and greatly increased travel times.  The trains usually only stop for 5 - 10 minutes at each station to let people on and off and a lot of the stations are just un-manned pre-fab shacks.  A better way would be to just let people who are legally allowed to have arms just go about their business.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why does the federal government have any say over whether or not Amtrak allows guns?

Because they subsidize it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Not talking about carrym but about checked baggage:

The Senate measure says Amtrak
would lose federal subsidies if it prohibits passengers from bringing
their guns on board under restrictions similar to those imposed on
airlines.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Wow, didn't see that one coming.

We've got open and concealed carry up here, but carrying a gun on the RR was a no no.

This isn't about "carrying a gun on the RR", it's about being able to transport a firearm in checked baggage just as you can on an airliner.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Because Amtrak is run by the government and has been since the 70's.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because they subsidize it.

I just looked Amtrak up on Wikipedia. It says that they are a government-owned corporation.

I didn't realize that they were officially government owned, I just figured that they had taken a bailout at some point in time like GM did...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Why does the 2nd Amendment disappear on Federally subsidized transportation?     This actually is an improvement as it used to be illegal to even place one in checked in luggage.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I honestly didn't know Amtrak forbids firearm transport.

Neither did I.
Last time I took Amtrak to NYC, I carried on the train.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#28]
This is a step in the right direction.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#29]
You know, it's not like you can hijack a train and make it go to Cuba.  You can't make a train crash into the Pentagon or a NY high rise.  If you set off a bomb in a train the most you might hurt would be some folks in that one car... you wouldn't crash the train.  If you knocked out a window the train won't depressurize.

Planes and trains... the only thing they have in common is they are forms of transportation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Planes and trains... the only thing they have in common is they are forms of transportation.

One more thing in common....the Federal Government controls them...and their passengers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I board at a rural location when I travel to Pittsburgh...they can take their restrictions and shove them up their turd cutters.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Now if they could only find people to ride the trains...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You're not allowed to take guns on Amtrak?

Officially it has been that way for years and has popped up here in bitchfests every so often.

That said, the conclusion usually was, keep your mouth shut, get a reserved room or similar and lock it to something before leaving it unattended.  Baggage handling has been improved but in the past rail fans were known to assist employees handling baggage and some times if helping guys who went to high school with you getting a free ride, leaving the baggage car doors open might not seem to be real secure storage.  Not saying that I ever saw that happen.  Well not more than a few times, but we did get the baggage on the right buses when the train was late and passengers were met early by buses that took them to further destinations without going all the way into Los Angeles.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:58:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is good.  I almost fucking choked to actually see our overlords doing something in the interest of liberty and our constitution.

I find the combination of your post and avatar incredibly Ironic.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:47:51 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't think I know one person who has ever traveled on Amtrak.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:54:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

As did I..........at first I actually thought it said something to the effect of "Passing Laws PROHIBITING......" , not the other way around . I had to re-read the post twice.

Actually quite hard to believe.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:49:00 AM EDT
[#38]
i have to say that AMTRAK has proved useful in the past

- the sunshine express allows you to put a car on the train and ride down to orlando, also the DC to NYC route is handy, granted the prices are sometimes as much as the US Air "shuttle", but it is nice to ride sometimes.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:56:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Saw that. Kind of surprised it passed.

So, why are we funding Amtrack?

Too big to fail?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:02:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:27:09 AM EDT
[#41]
AMTRAK should be closed anyways.  Its Taggart Continental after .gov took control.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top