Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 8:57:16 AM EDT
It is rated as "dangerous."
I can't manually delete it or any of my virus scanners, Melabytes, Spybot, AVG etc.

Is "http://www.spywaredb.com/" a legit site? I was routed there in a Google search.

Has anyone used this utility to remove it?
http://www.spywaredb.com/remove-bizrate/
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I would NOT use any special-purpose utility for this.

Try this:

1) go download a program named "Cedrick's File Unlocker" from a reputable source (there are a few, CNet is one that has it I think).

2) Install the above program.

3) Close all your web browsers, as they are usually the only programs that use the cookies files.

4) Use Windows Explorer to navigate to the particular cookies file, right-click on it and select "properties" to make sure that it is not set for "read only", then close the file properties box.

5) Go to the file again, right click on it again, and choose "Unlocker" from the popup menu (this choice should be in the right-click menu now, or you can start the Unlocker program and navigate to the file from that). Go through the steps and let Unlocker do its thing. Take note of any other programs that had locked that file, and check into them to make sure they are not anything bad.

6) You should be able to do whatever you want to the file now––edit or delete.

––––––-

Cedrick's Unlocker is a very cool program to have, but you can screw your OS over with it if you don't know what you're doing. It will let you unlock and edit core system files.
~
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
BTT
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess floppy's fix didn't work?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Nuke it with fire?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would NOT use any special-purpose utility for this.

Try this:

1) go download a program named "Cedrick's File Unlocker" from a reputable source (there are a few, CNet is one that has it I think).

2) Install the above program.

3) Close all your web browsers, as they are usually the only programs that use the cookies files.

4) Use Windows Explorer to navigate to the particular cookies file, right-click on it and select "properties" to make sure that it is not set for "read only", then close the file properties box.

5) Go to the file again, right click on it again, and choose "Unlocker" from the popup menu (this choice should be in the right-click menu now, or you can start the Unlocker program and navigate to the file from that). Go through the steps and let Unlocker do its thing. Take note of any other programs that had locked that file, and check into them to make sure they are not anything bad.

6) You should be able to do whatever you want to the file now––edit or delete.

––––––-

Cedrick's Unlocker is a very cool program to have, but you can screw your OS over with it if you don't know what you're doing. It will let you unlock and edit core system files.
~
Nope, didn't work.

But I am going to keep this utility around I will find it handy because I need to delete files after burning them to a DVD, but the system says that it is "being used by another program" etc
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nope, didn't work.

But I am going to keep this utility around I will find it handy because I need to delete files after burning them to a DVD, but the system says that it is "being used by another program" etc

Interesting,,,, if you lived nearby I'd come over just to take a crack at it myself.

I don't have any cookies that start with "admin", they all begin with the name on the user account I use.

––––-

Unlocker should have told you what other programs were locking the file. What were they?

What user directory is the cookie in? If it is in one that is separate from the one you are logged in as, you might have to log out and do it from the same one (same user login as whatever account it's contained in).
~

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#7]
1. Restart in safe mode?

2. Delete cookie

3. ?????

4. profit
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, didn't work.

Interesting,,,, if you lived nearby I'd come over just to take a crack at it myself.

I don't have any cookies that start with "admin", they all begin with the name on the user account I use.

––––-

Unlocker should have told you what other programs were locking the file. What were they?

What user directory is the cookie in? If it is in one that is separate from the one you are logged in as, you might have to log out and do it from the same one (same user login as whatever account it's contained in).
~
This cookie is a spyware type. Somehow it is taking advantage of some kind of bug in Windows. I believe Unlocker will work if there is another program that is running that is using the file, but this cookie is intentionally set so that you can't delete it, for a rather obvious reason.

Hedonist: tried the safe mode already. Can't delete it. I can't do anything to the cookie. Can't copy, read, or edit it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1. Restart in safe mode?
2. Delete cookie
3. ?????
4. profit

Launch ubuntu live cd. Mount windows partition and delete file.
Step 69. Profit???
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#10]
try a freeware malware/spyware removal tool, I have had good luck with IObit Security 360.  Just google it for the download link.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:15:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, didn't work.

––––-

~
This cookie is a spyware type. Somehow it is taking advantage of some kind of bug in Windows. I believe Unlocker will work if there is another program that is running that is using the file, but this cookie is intentionally set so that you can't delete it, for a rather obvious reason.

Yea, and the way that files are prevented from being changed or deleted is to lock them to read-only with another program, or to set their properties to "read-only" in the file properties. There is no other way I've ever heard of.

Do yo have an account named "admin"? If you lacked account permission, the computer would have told you that.

Hedonist: tried the safe mode already. Can't delete it. I can't do anything to the cookie. Can't copy, read, or edit it.

First off––I'm working in WinXP here, I don't know nuts about what Vista does but I have not heard it is drastically different.

What does the computer say when you try to open the file with Notepad?

Next, I would ask if you know what the full filename is? Some people have their computer's setting to "do not show extensions of known file types", and malicious files can appear to show a false extension this way. A cookie file has a .txt extension.

After that, try creating a folder in the same directory, dragging the file into that folder and then deleting the folder. In WinXP, if the file's account permissions get screwed up, this often works to get rid of the file.

––––––

Next I would say to go get a program called MoveOnBoot (download from a trustworthy source of course, there's a few) and install that. Set MoveOnBoot to delete the file on next reboot, and then, , , reboot. MoveOnBoot operates during startup, but before the OS loads––so anything that is "protected" by the OS is not going to be protected when MoveOnBoot runs.
~

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:18:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Doesn't Malwarebytes have a tool to kill locked files?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Doesn't Malwarebytes have a tool to kill locked files?
Yep, tried it, it doesn't work.

From what I've seen, this is NOT a standard Windows XP locked file. The creators took advantage of some special quirk in the Windows XP, that doesn't allow you to do anything with it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#14]
What's the exact path to the file you are having problems deleting?

Also what's the error you get when attempting to delete?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What's the exact path to the file you are having problems deleting?
Also what's the error you get when attempting to delete?

This is the temp file area that MS Internet Explorer uses to store files and cookies etc.
C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

The symptoms is that I select if for delete, and try to delete it, nothing happens to the file. The file is still there, no messages, no nothing. If you read the previous posts, this is a dangerous cookie.

I even tried to delete it "safe mode," and there was "no joy."

I can't even look to see the contents of the file.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top