Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/16/2009 6:02:41 AM EDT
Ormond Beach. FL
A homeowner who shot and wounded three robbery suspects is in trouble because his gun was illegally modified.

Police plan to charge Dayne Rollins, 34, with possesion of a short barreled shotgun, Sgt. Kenny Hayes said.

After two men burst into his home and robbed him, Rollins grabbed his shotgun and opened fire on William S. Bell, 31, of Daytona beach, Christopher C. Young, 28, of New Smyrna Beach and Brandy Lee Harris, 28, of Ormand Beach, Hayes said.

Bell and Young were recovering at Halifax Health Medical Center on Monday. Harris was on the Volusia County Branch Jail. All face a charge of home invasion robbery.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#1]
That's just fucking common sense.  If you've got an illegal gun, it's probably best not to keep it as your primary home defense gun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:05:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Waiting for linkage...

I hope he get's good legal representation or the prosecutor drops charges.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:06:21 AM EDT
[#3]
OH TEH NOES...A SHORT SHOTGUN!1!!1!!!111

seriously though...know the laws if you don't want to break them...if you don't care, I guess expect the consequences...though I hate seeing a guy get busted for this bullshit under these circumstances ever.

ETA Clarification.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#4]
They all lived, too.  Any bets it was loaded with birdshot?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Waiting for linkage...

Let's hope a couple of arfcommers get on the jury for the trial.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:12:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Waiting for linkage...

What's the expression?

"I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried my 6?"

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:16:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Fucking retarded. Short barrel restrictions need to be eliminated. Maybe this would be a good case to challenge them with.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#8]
People here who are sticklers 100% for the law make me laugh. Shouldn't you lot be playing shuffle board at your church BBQ?

I hope the case is not guilty or dismissed, perhaps set a precedent.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:17:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Well its good for cops using a short barreled shotgun for clearing a house because its easier to handle in tight places and moving around corners. But homeowners should do it with a 28" barreled shotgun because its for the children.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:19:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd like to see a pic of the shotgun, know how the police measured it, etc. There are plenty of short shotguns out there that, if measured impropertly, could make the police think it was an illegal baby killing sawed off
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:26:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd like to see a pic of the shotgun, know how the police measured it, etc. There are plenty of short shotguns out there that, if measured impropertly, could make the police think it was an illegal baby killing sawed off

Agreed, this guy needs to get a good 2A lawyer to make sure he doesn’t get rail-roaded by a false measurement.

Additionally, I wonder if the 16 inch rifle 18 inch shotgun requirements could play into this. I had a heck of a time convincing a friend that his personally modified 16 inch shotgun barrel was illegal a few years ago, he kept telling me he had a bunch of rifles with the same length barrel and I just had to be wrong. He would had been in a similar situation if he ever used it for self defense.

For the record, he finally destroyed the barrel and bought an 18 incher "just to shut me up”.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#12]
This is why the whole Randy Weaver, Ruby Ridge thing started. Because of a 16" barrel on a shotgun. The Feds did not hesitate to kill people over those 2 inches of metal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:40:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like a good test case.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:46:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Short barrel regulations are bullshit to begin with; if he used that shotty in his home to save his life the worst they should do is confiscate it and bawl him out for having it.

As previously stated; short barreled weapons are often better suited for indoor use which is why the police themselves, use them in the first place.

Keeping a short barreled rifle or shotty in the home should be 100% legal for everyone; if the authorities want to break balls they should only do so when gangstas are caught walking the street with them concealed.

Think about it; all this federal bullshit over short barreled rifles and shotguns.

If they want to place limits on them for some bullshit reason; all that's needed are local ordinances prohibiting concealing them on your person when you are not on your own property or when you are not practicing with them on your own property or at the range.

Why make a fucking federal case of it ?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:04:40 AM EDT
[#15]
So you are saying they should steal his property and give him a lecture for defending himself?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is why the whole Randy Weaver, Ruby Ridge thing started. Because of a 16" barrel on a shotgun. The Feds did not hesitate to kill people over those 2 inches of metal.

Excellent point

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:09:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Well its good for cops using a short barreled shotgun for clearing a house because its easier to handle in tight places and moving around corners. But homeowners should do it with a 28" barreled shotgun because its for the children.

18" barrel is minimum for a shotgun

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Good morning your honor we are here because this killer has a short barreled shotgun....

Interupted by the Judge.. Was he hunting with it where a certain leanth is required to hunt?

No sir

Is it ever used for that or was it kept inside?

It was kept inside sir... but we have a law...

Interupted agian by Judge

Do you have a short barrel on yours?

Yes sure it is easy to go around corners etc when

Interupted again, ...

Son, do you use this weapon other than for home?

no sir

case dismissed... have a good day
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Short barrel regulations are bullshit to begin with; if he used that shotty in his home to save his life the worst they should do is confiscate it and bawl him out for having it.

As previously stated; short barreled weapons are often better suited for indoor use which is why the police themselves, use them in the first place.

Keeping a short barreled rifle or shotty in the home should be 100% legal for everyone; if the authorities want to break balls they should only do so when gangstas are caught walking the street with them concealed.

Think about it; all this federal bullshit over short barreled rifles and shotguns.

If they want to place limits on them for some bullshit reason; all that's needed are local ordinances prohibiting concealing them on your person when you are not on your own property or when you are not practicing with them on your own property or at the range.

That would be the only thing to do in a sensible world.  Our priorities are so messed up I can't see straight anymore.

HH
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
People here who are sticklers 100% for the law make me laugh. Shouldn't you lot be playing shuffle board at your church BBQ?

Agreed.  The short barrel restrictions are idiotic, burdensome, and unconstitutional
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah because a regular length barrel woudl be any different.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Why aren't the perps in the morgue? In COD:WaW the SBS destroys people.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be the only thing to do in a sensible world.  Our priorities are so messed up I can't see straight anymore.

HH

Again, why the fuck should they steal his property and give him a lecture for defending himself.
Who ever measured the barrel should have kept his fucking trap shut.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#24]
There was a TV show back in the 50s, Yancey Derringer.

He had an Indian sidekick- Pahoo, or something like that, who would whip out a really short double barrel from under his blanket and blow guys out thru the windows.

Did they get a special waiver?

Quoted:
Again, why the fuck should they steal his property and give him a lecture for defending himself.
Who ever measured the barrel should have kept his fucking trap shut.

If it's such a big deal to turn illegal aliens over to the Feds, I'd take the same tack with a BS Fed law.

Enforce them all or enforce the ones you wish to.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Waiting for linkage...

What's the expression?

Yeah, but there was no reason to be tried by 12 in this case.  It's not as if an SBS is any better for home defense than a legal shotgun or at least a handgun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Waiting for linkage...

What's the expression?

Yeah, but there was no reason to be tried by 12 in this case.  It's not as if an SBS is any better for home defense than a legal shotgun or at least a handgun.

Yep

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Sounds like a good test case.

Could be... Especially if there are no other circumstances (guy is a known dirtbag etc)

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Fucking retarded. Short barrel restrictions need to be eliminated. Maybe this would be a good case to challenge them with.

it is not the barrel length it is the .gov's cut of the action. I honestly don't see the length of the prison term he will get over a $200 tax violation.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Actually it was 17.75 inches or so.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Exactly how long was the barrel?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

it is not the barrel length it is the .gov's cut of the action. I honestly don't see the length of the prison term he will get over a $200 tax violation.

Violation of the NFA can get you a lot of prison time and fines.

They should at least let him pay the stupid tax and hold on to the shotgun until his form is approved, assuming SBS are legal in FL.  Of course the barrel length restrictions are BS in the first place.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Are you incapable of debating something without insulting a large portion of the population?

Sure, let's not worry about obeying laws.  Like these mean old conservatives and those nice Acorn people.  So what's wrong with helping a nice young couple set up a whorehouse filled with underage, illegal immigrant, girls?

You people who think they can pick and choose what laws to obey and which to break make me laugh.  Do I get to pick and choose too?  Or is it only you and Acorn?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#35]
It's about time to do away with these bullshit short barrel laws, they are utter bullshit
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:33:44 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm going to be bold and perhaps racist (who isn't right now ) and say everyone involved in this shooting (victim, perpetrators) are heavily involved in trafficking, sale, or use of illegal substances.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Good morning your honor we are here because this killer has a short barreled shotgun....

Interupted by the Judge.. Was he hunting with it where a certain leanth is required to hunt?

No sir

Is it ever used for that or was it kept inside?

It was kept inside sir... but we have a law...

Interupted agian by Judge

Do you have a short barrel on yours?

Yes sure it is easy to go around corners etc when

Interupted again, ...

Son, do you use this weapon other than for home?

no sir

case dismissed... have a good day

Thanks for that wet dream. Now back to your regularly scheduled tyranny.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I wonder if the home owner has a record and that's the reason for the gun charge?

Brian
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you incapable of debating something without insulting a large portion of the population?

Sure, let's not worry about obeying laws.  Like these mean old conservatives and those nice Acorn people.  So what's wrong with helping a nice young couple set up a whorehouse filled with underage, illegal immigrant, girls?

You people who think they can pick and choose what laws to obey and which to break make me laugh.  Do I get to pick and choose too?  Or is it only you and Acorn?

Apples and oranges. A law restricting a right that is guaranteed by the Constitution is an illegal law and in no way compares to a law protecting the rights of minors.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So, you're not a stickler for the law when it comes to not committing felonies?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#42]
1.  SBS restriction is horseshit, if there was something else about this guy that they wanted to get him on, the law is still bullshit, and they should investigate him for whatever else.
2.  The guy did not do himself any favors...  in this country, you should know the law if you have a gun, and he either did not know or he deliberately broke the law.

So he deserves what he gets, but the law is still a pile of horse-dung, and I wish they were not prosecuting him under that law.  I hope for every chance for him to get out of this.  That being said, there are plenty of things I wish I could do that I will not do, simply because I follow the law, this guy should have read up and followed the law.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm going to be bold and perhaps racist (who isn't right now ) and say everyone involved in this shooting (victim, perpetrators) are heavily involved in trafficking, sale, or use of illegal substances.

In the Daytona area???? Nooooo!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on who measured, somewhere between 17.75 and 18.25.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

It's about time to do away with these bullshit short barrel laws, they are utter bullshit

This.

Short barrels, silencers, fore-grips, stocks, etc laws are all

as fucked up as a football bat. Typical .gov entrapment stuff.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Agreed!

People forget that Handguns were supposed to be NFA weapons, but were eventually removed from the bill.  The size requirements of rifles and shotguns were supposed to impact concealability.  With handguns as common as dirt, SBS & SBR regulations are hard to defend based on their original intent.

WE are firearms enthusiasts and know the law and penalties, so we need to adhere to it.  However, don't be suprised when Joe Shmoe violates one of the many seemingly arbitrary laws passed over the decades.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depending on who measured, somewhere between 17.75 and 18.25.

Yup, its pretty suprising what feds will do when they get bored enough. Nevermind the massive influx of illegals, dope and other things that seriously are problems in america today. Instead they will run out and slaughter a family over a bad measurement on a shotgun barrel.  Its less real work.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Do LEO's pay the tax for SBS or SBR's or are they exempt from the tax (oh that's right, LEO's don't pay for anything, we the tax payer do )
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Do LEO's pay the tax for SBS or SBR's or are they exempt from the tax (oh that's right, LEO's don't pay for anything, we the tax payer do
)

Good question.  

Another one:  Can LEO's in a NON SBR/SBS state still get them?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if the home owner has a record and that's the reason for the gun charge?

Brian

Good point.  I hope that's not the case.

I kinda doubt the DA would be charging a 68 y/o grandfather with no criminal record.  The gun may get confiscated and destroyed but I seriously doubt charges would be filed.

I suspect there is more to this story......

Brian
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top