Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 5:53:28 PM EDT
If that one man is the only person in the company able to do a specific job and his presence is required for several active projects would management cave to his demands or say good-bye knowing full well that would end all projects until a replacement could be found and trained? Because I'm getting so sick of the complete lack of professionalism, leadership, and respect from the so called managers and project leads in the company, I'm about to form a picket "line"

I am just stunned at the fact that we are trying to bring on new business so the company makes more money but the people in charge of getting the new locations on line have no fucking clue how they are going to operate that business. They say one thing, do something else and have a written SOP that states something completely different. There is no way I as a system analyist can configure a computer system to do anything with that bullshit. I'm at the point where I'll tell management until they get their shit together and get a fucking clue, I'm not doing anything.  If a server catches on fire, I'll letting it burn. They can get someone else to exquniguish the flames.

[/rant]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If that one man is the only person in the company able to do a specific job and his presence is required for several active projects would management cave to his demands or say good-bye knowing full well that would end all projects until a replacement could be found and trained? Because I'm getting so sick of the complete lack of professionalism, leadership, and respect from the so called managers and project leads in the company, I'm about to form a picket "line"

I am just stunned at the fact that we are trying to bring on new business so the company makes more money but the people in charge of getting the new locations on line have no fucking clue how they are going to operate that business. They say one thing, do something else and have a written SOP that states something completely different. There is no way I as a system analyist can configure a computer system to do anything with that bullshit. I'm at the point where I'll tell management until they get their shit together and get a fucking clue, I'm not doing anything.  If a server catches on fire, I'll letting it burn. They can get someone else to exquniguish the flames.

[/rant]

I say go for it. Tell them to fuck off. Good idea.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#2]
My advice is to grin and bear it.

They will terminate you and find a replacement.

Strikes usually only tend to be effective when union membership has a "trade monopoly" - i.e., their members are the ONLY people who know HOW to do a certain job.

While you could (arguably) say that you have a "trade monopoly" on your particular skill in your organization, don't forget about this thing called Monster.com.

As a wise old fella once told me, "Graveyards are full of people who thought the world couldn't get along without them."
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Whats the worst that could happen?  

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am just stunned at the fact that we are trying to bring on new business so the company makes more money but the people in charge of getting the new locations on line have no fucking clue how they are going to operate that business. They say one thing, do something else and have a written SOP that states something completely different. There is no way I as a system analyist can configure a computer system to do anything with that bullshit. I'm at the point where I'll tell management until they get their shit together and get a fucking clue, I'm not doing anything. If a server catches on fire, I'll letting it burn. They can get someone else to exquniguish the flames.

[/rant]

I say go for it. Tell them to fuck off. Good idea.

Hell yeah, I say fuck em!!! Bastards. WTF do they think they're doing????

Having a decent job is WAY fucking over-rated right now. Fuck Them.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

[/rant]

Do we work for the same company?

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I would meet your demands only until I could hire and train a replacement.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]
You need to do a secret strike. You need to become the Phantom Pooper
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, they probably have a gaseous fire suppression system that will extinguish the flames.

Also, there are probably at least 5 thousand guys with the same exact qualifications that you have who are sitting on their asses just hoping someone quits so they can get off unenjoyment.

Remember, you are always replaceable.  You are not a unique little snowflake.  Your company operated before you got there, it will continue on after you are gone.  You are there to help them make money.  If you don't help them make money, they find someone else who does as soon as humanely possible.

Maybe they already recognize your bad attitude and are secretly working on replacing you right now?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm IT as well. I currently have a couple of employees that believe that they are irreplaceable.

They are wrong.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's classified.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

How far would a one man strike go?

All the way to unemployment.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm IT as well. I currently have a couple of employees that believe that they are irreplaceable.

They are wrong.

Let me know when you're looking to replace them.

I'm willing to relocate to Texas.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I say go for it as long as nobody else is willing to work for the same amount you are making or less.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are wrong.

Let me know when you're looking to replace them.

I'm willing to relocate to Texas.

Sorry brother...you used the word "strike."

My company is famous for the strike ban-hammer.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#15]
In the current econmy you, and everyone else, are extremely replaceable. But, if it's bad enough to make ya walk, walk. I'm not an IT guy so I'm not just angling for you job either
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's classified.

It just sounds exactly like the company I work for.  We're integrating a couple divisions, and moving some operations to different facilities.  Of course, upper level management just decreed, "Do this", without looking into any details.  All the divisions run different enterprise software systems, and no one has decided how the systems will integrate - despite the fact that operations are about 90% transitioned.      

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Is this about the backup system?

Prove them wrong by doing it the correct way. Maybe you'll get promoted to VP of IT.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Never underestimate upper management's cluelessness.  I was laid off in May, I was working on all three of the top priority projects for IT in the company, including being the subject matter expert on the new servers we were trying to bring online for a new application deployment.  My group was already booked two months in advance for project work at the time.  After I was laid off, they had to put two of the three projects on hold, they've since further screwed up the utilization of my old group.  The remaining two senior guys are both going to be looking for new jobs in the near future to get out of that mess.  All because a VP wanted to look good to his peers when there were discussions of budgets being tight (from what I understand, HE is probably next on the chopping block, he was talking to one of my former coworkers and revealed his annual review numbers, which were NOT good).  There had been some discussion of bringing me back as a contractor, but it never went anywhere.

Of course, now I'd laugh at them, I'm making slightly more money with 1/3 the previous commute and mostly fixed working hours, haven't worked over forty hours a week in two months, and my employer likes it that way, I was previously working 50-60/week.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Are you willing to immolate yourself?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#20]
did someone take your swingline stapler?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

All the way to the unemployment office.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

[/rant]

Checked the economy lately?

If they have 'warning', they can put an ad in Craigslist today, get 500+ responses, find your replacement, fire you, and have you replaced by tomorrow...

If no warning, it may take a day or two longer to find the replacement...

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Actually, they probably have a gaseous fire suppression system that will extinguish the flames.

Also, there are probably at least 5 thousand guys with the same exact qualifications that you have who are sitting on their asses just hoping someone quits so they can get off unenjoyment.

Remember, you are always replaceable.  You are not a unique little snowflake.  Your company operated before you got there, it will continue on after you are gone.  You are there to help them make money.  If you don't help them make money, they find someone else who does as soon as humanely possible.

Maybe they already recognize your bad attitude and are secretly working on replacing you right now?

You are correct sir.  We are all replaceable.  From the top guy to the janitor, everyone in an organization is replaceable.

It all depends on how well the organization can adapt to change that dictates how long it takes to replace you.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[/rant]
Checked the economy lately?

If they have 'warning', they can put an ad in Craigslist today, get 500+ responses, find your replacement, fire you, and have you replaced by tomorrow...

If no warning, it may take a day or two longer to find the replacement...

Only 500 responses? Things must be good out in Washington!

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Got some bad news for ya: If YOU didn't create the position or so extensively MODIFY the position that it is the same as creating it, YOU AIN'T A 1-MAN SHOW-STOPPER... the company can replace you at will.

My advice would be to try to create some sanity where you can influence the most... or quit, if you feel that strong about it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#26]
There's no such thing as indispensable.  Remember that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#27]
A message from your management team;

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#28]
everyone in IT is replaceable, the people, the management, hell the whole division.

act accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#29]
In this economy, you will be better served by being the guy that helps fix everything.  If you know what they are doing wrong, then help them fix it.  Just make sure you get some credit for the work.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:06:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Encrypt everything in the name of security each night, including your pst if it's local.  When I left (the best way to go on strike is to take another job making more) they had to hire 4 people and are talking about hiring more, workload hasn't changed...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#31]
i think this was a Seinfeld episode with Kramer...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#33]
0/10.  You truly do overestimate your importance for the company, and I guaranfuckingtee you there is someone out there who will do your job better and for much cheaper.

Sorry buddy that's the facts of life.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Everyone is replaceable.

Everyone.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#35]

As far as the unemployment line. If you tried that shit on me, I'd be looking for your replacement today. Oh, and managment never know how to do the job.

If you don't like the way that management runs things, go get another job.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is this about the backup system?

Prove them wrong by doing it the correct way. Maybe you'll get promoted to VP of IT.

Not entirely, and don't get me started on that. They won't spend a few bucks on something that will benfit an entire office but they have no problem spending money on a new laptop for a manager when there are unused laptops sitting in storage collecting dust. While this laptop might be an "older model" the specs are the exact same as the one they are going to pay money for. To make this even more retarded the laptop that's being replaced has better specs than the replacement system. I couldn't get a $50 hard drive without constant begging and a few nasty emails.

Quoted:

Maybe, as their actions as of late point in the direction they no longer want me around.

The straw that breaks the camels back will be when they make it offical that all of my planned vacation, which has been approved months ago is being revoked because "my presence is required for the operation of the business" Fuck that!  They are just going to have to make do without me. It could be for a few days or for the rest of time. It's their choice as I no longer care.

Quoted:
Are you willing to immolate yourself?

No(burning at the stake = bad), but I'm willing to commit seppuku with a spoon instead of a  tanto if that means not dealing with this bullshit any more.
Death with honor > life as a slave!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#37]
They will simply fire you and move one.  My company lays off this sort of people all the time.  They simply don't care.  They manage by the numbers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:29:01 AM EDT
[#38]
This would have the same effect as a fart in a tornado
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top