Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 1:05:52 PM EDT
Linky

Run a stop sign with your patrol car, hit a pedestrian, attempt to arrest said pedestrian, then threaten/ticked the witness who objects.

Looks like The Big Easy was a documentary.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Isolated incident?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Surprise, fucking surprise...
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Wexler said his first impulse was to file a complaint with the NOPD’s Public Integrity Bureau, but he doubted the independence and effectiveness of the unit. If the police department can’t be trusted to treat citizens with respect, how can it be trusted to investigate allegations of abuse against its own officers, Wexler said.

Even his attorney, Sam Dalton, tried to discourage him from filing a report.

“I’ve seen what happens when people bring complaints,” Dalton said. “The police try to intimidate them from continuing their protests. It’s a very uncomfortable situation. One thing I know is that this officer won’t be punished.”

Nah, there can't be any corruption in the NOPD.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I really need to test for the NOPD
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Had  to dig this allegation up from 7 months ago....

Slow day?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
they allow cops to drink on duty there. well at least they did a few years ago when i was there for work. ever seen a cop in uniform order a rum and coke?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Slow day?

With apologies to our own scotchymcdrinkerbean, defending the NOPD is not the hill you want to die on
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Somebody please explain to me how to bring this cop to justice without resorting to [CoC].

The cop's supervisor won't help.  In fact, he will attack the victim.

The entire department won't help.  They will, in fact, attack the victim.

Who do you talk to?  The FBI?  The first thing they will do is refer you to the department's IA division.

And the whole while you're being threatened, bullied, and even physically attacked.

I'd love to hear somebody's suggestion or solution.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow..  This JBT has a 10,000 lb. badge.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for isolated incident.......
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Move along folks.  Nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slow day?

With apologies to our own scotchymcdrinkerbean, defending the NOPD is not the hill you want to die on

No defense implied.  But usually the trolls will post something that happened recently and not last winter.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#13]
As to where to lodge a complaint outside NOLAPD

State AG.

Sorry, I missed the quote button.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#14]
With NOPD's reputation for integrity, fairness, and professionalism, this story is a little hard to believe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slow day?

No defense implied.  But usually the trolls will post something that happened recently and not last winter.

is it a dupe?
got something relivent to say?
Does it being 7 months old mean its less of a BS thing,
Bet in the last 7 months nothing has been done to the officer either.

Searching for more info know.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#16]
With officers like Steven Seagal  working down in La., i seriously doubt there is anything fishy going on down there
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#17]
From the victim:

After the incident, my attorney and I wrote a letter to the DA, Leon Cannizaro, asking him to investigate the matter. His office wrote back declining to investigate, saying the matter would more appropriately be handled by the Public Integrity Bureau (which investigates police misconduct, but is run by the NOPD, not an independent commission).

I was strongly dissuaded from filing a complaint with the PIB by my attorney, Sam Dalton. Sam, who is the most experienced civil rights lawyer in Louisiana, told me that there was no way the PIB would discipline the officer and that they often treated complainants very shabbily.

However, Rich Webster of City Business Journal wrote the above article which led to the PIB very politely taking my complaint. I was told that the investigation would take up to a month to complete. In the intervening time, my seat belt ticket was thrown out before trial (the ADA issued a “nole prosequi”). But, after a month I did not receive the promised report on the outcome of the investigation.

I spent several days on the phone, getting the run around from various PIB and NOPD members. However, at one point I got to speak with the officer who actually performed the investigation. He told me that the cop (Torres) told a different story than mine and that his recommendation was to find the complaint “false” (or some thing equivalent to “false”- he could have recommended a finding of “unsupported” which would have meant there just wasn’t enough evidence to find the claim “supported). The investigator also told me that if he were the officer in question, he might well have arrested me for interfering with investigation/arrest of the pedestrian (I want to say here that I never got closer than 7 or 8 ft from the officer when he was holding the pedestrian).

I still haven’t received a report on the final PIB police findings, so I don’t know what the final outcome was. I think it’s safe to assume that—if they bothered to finish processing it at all—they dismissed the complaint.

Thanks to Mr. Balko for the thoughtful post and to the commentators for the overwhelming support here. And, thanks for the many nice comments about my testicles. However, it really wasn’t as “ballsy” as you might think. It happened in broad daylight with plenty of potential witnesses around. Otherwise, I probably wouldn’t have gotten out of my car. And when the cop started threatening me, I shut up and handed over my license and registration instead of risking going to jail (and worse) with any further provocation.

I have added the Qik application to my phone, after Balko alluded to it in a recent post. I wish I had it that day to make a record of the officer’s misconduct. Hopefully, apps like Qik will allow folks to better protect themselves and others from police abuse in the future.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
From the victim:

After the incident, my attorney and I wrote a letter to the DA, Leon Cannizaro, asking him to investigate the matter. His office wrote back declining to investigate, saying the matter would more appropriately be handled by the Public Integrity Bureau (which investigates police misconduct, but is run by the NOPD, not an independent commission).

I was strongly dissuaded from filing a complaint with the PIB by my attorney, Sam Dalton. Sam, who is the most experienced civil rights lawyer in Louisiana, told me that there was no way the PIB would discipline the officer and that they often treated complainants very shabbily.

However, Rich Webster of City Business Journal wrote the above article which led to the PIB very politely taking my complaint. I was told that the investigation would take up to a month to complete. In the intervening time, my seat belt ticket was thrown out before trial (the ADA issued a “nole prosequi”). But, after a month I did not receive the promised report on the outcome of the investigation.

I spent several days on the phone, getting the run around from various PIB and NOPD members. However, at one point I got to speak with the officer who actually performed the investigation. He told me that the cop (Torres) told a different story than mine and that his recommendation was to find the complaint “false” (or some thing equivalent to “false”- he could have recommended a finding of “unsupported” which would have meant there just wasn’t enough evidence to find the claim “supported). The investigator also told me that if he were the officer in question, he might well have arrested me for interfering with investigation/arrest of the pedestrian (I want to say here that I never got closer than 7 or 8 ft from the officer when he was holding the pedestrian).

I still haven’t received a report on the final PIB police findings, so I don’t know what the final outcome was. I think it’s safe to assume that—if they bothered to finish processing it at all—they dismissed the complaint.

Thanks to Mr. Balko for the thoughtful post and to the commentators for the overwhelming support here. And, thanks for the many nice comments about my testicles. However, it really wasn’t as “ballsy” as you might think. It happened in broad daylight with plenty of potential witnesses around. Otherwise, I probably wouldn’t have gotten out of my car. And when the cop started threatening me, I shut up and handed over my license and registration instead of risking going to jail (and worse) with any further provocation.

I have added the Qik application to my phone, after Balko alluded to it in a recent post. I wish I had it that day to make a record of the officer’s misconduct. Hopefully, apps like Qik will allow folks to better protect themselves and others from police abuse in the future.

Once again we see how the Bluthers generate the mistrust that the public has for law enforcement.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slow day?

Actually, a troll would attack someone who posts this story and not the "officer" who was involved in the asshattery. Some folks may not have seen this yet & you jump the gun, moreso than any that you would call a "Troll". True to form.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Bluthers are getting easier and easier to spot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:39:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slow day?

Actually, a troll would attack someone who posts this story and not the "officer" who was involved in the asshattery. Some folks may not have seen this yet & you jump the gun, moreso than any that you would call a "Troll". True to form.  

Troll apologist  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:41:28 AM EDT
[#22]
only cops should have guns
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:46:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slow day?

I think the fail in your statements revolves around the concept that there never seems to be a shortage of "recent" abuses to post about.   That is not trolling anymore than posting about liberal corruption or why Obama will be the ruin of us all - on a daily basis.  

It sticks pretty well to the wall on its own accord - no trolling needed IMHO.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:51:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the victim:

Once again we see how the Bluthers generate the mistrust that the public has for law enforcement.  

It just might translate into a big payday for those who make dashcams, selling to the non-LEO market for self-protection.  I'd be willing to bet a C-Note that had this incident ended up on YouTube the investigation would have been handled a lot different.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:14:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Gee, I thought they claimed to have cleaned up NOPD after Katrina?  

I guess some things never change.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:34:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It is cleaned up.  Before Katrina, members of the NOPD were involved in drug deals that resulted in the murder of a witness (the NOPD officer who got a street thug to murder the witness was caught on an FBI surveillance bragging about the hit) and another of NOPD's finest robbed a convenience store and murdered two people.  She was caught when she had the audacity to respond to the call and a girl (whose parents were murdered in the robbery) pointed out the killer cop to the other cops at the scene.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:40:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is cleaned up.  Before Katrina, members of the NOPD were involved in drug deals that resulted in the murder of a witness (the NOPD officer who got a street thug to murder the witness was caught on an FBI surveillance bragging about the hit) and another of NOPD's finest robbed a convenience store and murdered two people.  She was caught when she had the audacity to respond to the call and a girl (whose parents were murdered in the robbery) pointed out the killer cop to the other cops at the scene.

Nice.

It is an improvement then.  I knew they were screwed up down there, but not that screwed up.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:42:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Nothing new just New Orleans.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holeee shit!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:58:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worse than that...

New Orleans Officer Is Convicted Of 3 Killings in Robbery Attempt
Published: Tuesday, September 12, 1995

A New Orleans policewoman was convicted today of killing a former partner and two other people during an attempted robbery at a restaurant.

The officer, Antoinette Frank, 23, faces death or life in prison at her sentencing on Tuesday.

Officer Ronald Williams, a former partner of Officer Frank's who was moonlighting as a guard at the Kim Anh Restaurant, and two of the owners' children –– Cuong Vu, 18, and Ha Vu, 24 –– were killed on March 4.

Officer Frank was arrested after she returned to the scene with a large contingent of officers and was identified by Vu family members who had hidden in a large cooler during the rampage.

She had worked as an off-duty security guard at the restaurant, and the Vu family considered Officer Frank a trusted friend. Ha Vu had prepared a dinner for her less than an hour before the robbery.

Officer Frank's lawyer, Robert Jenkins, declined to present a defense and told the jury in his closing argument that her accomplice, Rogers Lacaze, was the sole killer. Mr. Lacaze, 18, was convicted in July and sentenced to death.

Prosecutor Elizabeth Teel, in her closing argument, recalled Officer Frank's statement to investigators that Mr. Lacaze forced her to participate. The prosecutor pointed out that Officer Frank could have used a gun and police radio that she had with her.

Officer Frank's trial was the latest in a series of scandals for the New Orleans Police Department, which has been accused of brutality and corruption and has been blamed for not stopping the consistent rise in the city's murder rate.

Since 1993, at least 38 officers have been arrested, including 10 in a Federal drug sting in December. One officer, who continues to work at a desk job, is a suspect in the killings of 24 people since 1991.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slow day?

Troll apologist  

At least you admit it. That's a start.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wow..  This JBT has a 10,000 lb. badge.  

Sounds like he suffers from Small Penis Syndrome.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top