Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2009 5:37:46 AM EDT
I got a little nervous with the weekend approval bounce, Rassmussen felt is was related to national sentiment over 9/11 and Obama got a "dead cat" bounce. Which means the polls went up and have gone splat now.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

Following President Obama’s speech to Congress last week, support for his health care reform plan increased steadily to a peak of 51% yesterday. However, the bounce appears to be over. The latest daily tracking shows that support has fallen all the way back to pre-speech levels.

Forty-five percent (45%) of all voters nationwide now favor the plan while 52% are opposed. A week ago, 44% supported the proposal and 53% were opposed.

The latest figures show that 23% Strongly Favor the plan and 41% are Strongly Opposed. In late August, 23% were strongly in favor of the plan and 43% were strongly opposed. Premium Members can see full demographic crosstabs for results released .

Eventhough his approval index got a bounce also, the trend is again going downward, expect it back to August levels in the weeks to come.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#1]
People aren't very certain of their convictions, are they?  I'm surprised that it went up at all.

I guess I shouldn't be
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:49:07 AM EDT
[#2]
He talks so much, I'm surprised anyone is still listening.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#3]
But Rasmussen is a republican, his last name starts with an (R) so he is obviously a racists and skewing the polls
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#5]
How does he get a dead cat bounce? It's not like he makes a speech every hour.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:02:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you Sir
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Obama either holds a press conference, does a speech somewhere, appears on a TV show, or talks to congress EVERY SINGLE DAY.  He's like a kid who's totally likable, but doesn't know when to shut up, and eventually starts annoying people because he just talks too much. I think he's digging his own grave right now. If you can't deliver hope and change, at least disappear a little so people think you are still doing it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:07:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#9]
People are waking up to the fact that he has never gotten out of "campaign mode".  The guy acts as if he is still applying for the job.  Hey, Bozo; you got the job (don't you remember the "I'm the President" remarks). You can start actually doing it now.  Oh, I forgot, your vast experience speaks for itself.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#10]
That was more like an empty suit bounce than a dead cat bounce.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:11:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Exactly what Dick Morris predicted.  The day before he gave the speech he said O would get a small bounce that would disappear within a week.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:16:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

People are waking up to the fact that he has never gotten out of "campaign mode".  The guy acts as if he is still applying for the job.  Hey, Bozo; you got the job (don't you remember the "I'm the President" remarks). You can start actually doing it now.  Oh, I forgot, your vast experience speaks for itself.

He's never done anything but campaign––and throw rhetoric bombs.  He's the same empty suit we would have if Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton were POTUS.  
And sign laws that are dismantling the nation he supposedly swore to defend and protect.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:19:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:20:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's never done anything but campaign––and throw rhetoric bombs.  He's the same empty suit we would have if Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton were POTUS.  

that's my point.  The man can't and doesn't know how to do the job.  His policies and ideas are f-ed up, left leaning, Marxist, social justice, wealth redistribution garbage.  He was elected because he was made out to be some kind of rock star using Hollywood magic.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:21:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Waiting for this to go -2x

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:22:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It was quite pathetic.  The guy really seems to believe that somehow, making great speeches will accomplish something by itself, instead of actually DOING anything.  

In his egocentric world, he actually believes that everyone will simply hear him speak and go into action accomplishing things.  Not surprising, since he's never actually done anything himself, he has no idea how complicated, or convoluted in the case of our Congress, getting things done can be.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:22:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd also wondered why it went up...some people have no personal character or strength to hang tough with zero.

HH
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd also wondered why it went up...some people have no personal character or strength to hang tough with zero.

HH

that or the polster just happend to hit a bunch of supporters that day, who would say yes to anything the One says.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's my point.  The man can't and doesn't know how to do the job.  His policies and ideas are f-ed up, left leaning, Marxist, social justice, wealth redistribution garbage.  He was elected because he was made out to be some kind of rock star using Hollywood magic.

If BHO was 100% white he never would have made it past the Iowa Caucus.
The naive, nubian's, novelty has worn off...

(Spiro Agnew would be proud)
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

HH

that or the polster just happend to hit a bunch of supporters that day, who would say yes to anything the One says.

Hard to say.  He will ONLY poll likely voters, so who knows....as long as the numbers continue to drop I'm happy.

HH
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Just saw a bumper sticker with the gay logo. Under it:

Making Clinton look honest
Making Carter look strong
Making Bush look like a genius
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:08:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was quite pathetic.  The guy really seems to believe that somehow, making great speeches will accomplish something by itself, instead of actually DOING anything.  

In his egocentric world, he actually believes that everyone will simply hear him speak and go into action accomplishing things.  Not surprising, since he's never actually done anything himself, he has no idea how complicated, or convoluted in the case of our Congress, getting things done can be.

Again this is because he is a born and raised walking EGO with no actual experience about how things work.  He is a "teller" not a "doer" and he is CERTAINLY no "leader"
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Exactly what Dick Morris predicted. The day before he gave the speech he said O would get a small bounce that would disappear within a week.

Yup...saw that. Country is completely divided by this clown.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#26]

It's going back the other way now...he got a "dead cat" bounce which happens during a traumatic event or the country reaches a sullen moment (9/11) in this case. Had nothing to do with his speech.

The economy has everyone scared to death...and his policies.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thank you Sir

why are you thanking yourself?

eta: nevermind, you guys have the same avatar

––––––––––––––––

this is good news.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I told you guys not to worry.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

He doesn't know how to lead or to govern, only how to take orders from his puppet masters and how to campaign. Since he hasn't been getting any decent input from the people he is supposed to do the bidding of, he has stuck with campaigning. He never stopped campaigning because he is a song and dance man, and nothing more.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

His speech at Wall Street yesterday was a fucking joke.  I actually laughed out loud at some of it, and a Harvard economist on NPR was basically ridiculing him for trying to tell bankers that they need to change their "risky" behavior, and warning them that the government won't bail them out next time.  Riiiiiiight - the lessons that big banks learned from the last year is that the government WILL bail them out, especially if they are big.

Clearly he was attempting to use an old Jedi mind trick.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:40:16 AM EDT
[#32]
One of the first rules of the art of propaganda is to repeat the lie often, loud, with passion, and allow no dissent. The idiots (they vote too), if they hear it often, loudly, and with passion, will start to believe. It worked for the campaign. That's why he must constantly be preaching. Silence allows dissent. Dissent allows examination. Examination shows fault. Fault shows imperfection. Imperfection allows doubt. Doubt leads to loss of faith. Loss of faith leads to loss of power. They cannot allow that to happen.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Should fall even more after Letterturd.       People are starting to get sick of seeing the guy.     People who weren' sick before that is.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:51:05 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

His speech at Wall Street yesterday was a fucking joke.  I actually laughed out loud at some of it, and a Harvard economist on NPR was basically ridiculing him for trying to tell bankers that they need to change their "risky" behavior, and warning them that the government won't bail them out next time.  Riiiiiiight - the lessons that big banks learned from the last year is that the government WILL bail them out, especially if they are big.

He must believe he's that good a speaker that ANY speech he gives is great or even good.   He sounds like he's selling a used car or a dusty model left over from last year because no one wanted it then.   Moreover it feels like he's talking to adolescents rather than adults.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#35]
waiting for the 'uggghhhhs' and 'aaaaannnnnddds' on letterman without the teleprompter
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:54:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why we're seeing the race card being used more and more. Also, did anyone see that crap yesterday where Jimmy Carter claimed he believes Wilson is a racist! wtf! this worthless pieces of shit should seriously stfu and let Obama pass him as the worst President we've ever had!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why we're seeing the race card being used more and more. Also, did anyone see that crap yesterday where Jimmy Carter claimed he believes Wilson is a racist! wtf! this worthless pieces of shit should seriously stfu and let Obama pass him as the worst President we've ever had!

Yep.  According to Jimmy Carter, we're all racists.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
One of the first rules of the art of propaganda is to repeat the lie often, loud, with passion, and allow no dissent. The idiots (they vote too), if they hear it often, loudly, and with passion, will start to believe. It worked for the campaign. That's why he must constantly be preaching. Silence allows dissent. Dissent allows examination. Examination shows fault. Fault shows imperfection. Imperfection allows doubt. Doubt leads to loss of faith. Loss of faith leads to loss of power. They cannot allow that to happen.

Sorry for the diversion...This sounds like a chant from the book Dune... The Mentat Mantra
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains. The stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

The Obama Mantra
It is by words alone that sets the sheep in motion. It is by mainstream media that words will cloud the truth, the word becomes the deed.It is words alone that sets these sheep in motion

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Some hilarious reads.  

The Liberals’ Breakdown

According to Jimmy Carter’s libel against opponents of Barack Obama, “an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is black man.” This reminds us once again of what a pathetic and mean-spirited figure Mr. Carter has become. But it is also evidence of how unhinged and desperate many liberals and some within the Democratic party are becoming. The hatred and fury that consumed them during the Bush years is returning with a vengeance. It turns out that the cause of their derangement during the Bush years may not have been Bush after all; he may simply have been the object of their crazed attacks.

It’s fascinating to watch how furious liberals have become despite Obama’s being president and Democrats’ controlling the Senate and the House by wide margins. This period should be—they expected it to be—years of milk and honey for them. But events and reality have intervened. They see the Anointed One, Barack Obama—their “sort of God”—failing. He is not only a mere mortal but also a deeply flawed one.

They see support for Obama’s effort to nationalize our health-care system collapsing. They see the American people rising up against his brand of liberalism. They see Republicans with all the intensity on their side. They see GOP candidates leading in the New Jersey and Virginia gubernatorial races. They see the popularity of their majority leader, Harry Reid, cratering. They see the Republican party drawing almost even with Democrats on issues like health care—and surging ahead of Democrats on many other issues. They see a dangerous loss of support for Obama among independents and the elderly. They see, in short, what the respected political analyst Charlie Cook sees:

The president’s ratings plummet; his party loses its advantage on the generic congressional ballot test; the intensity of opposition-party voters skyrockets; his own party’s voters become complacent or even depressed; and independent voters move lopsidedly away. These were the early-warning signs of past wave elections. Seeing them now should terrify Democrats.

Many liberals simply cannot process this new data, this horrible turn of events. What we are seeing is the equivalent of a computer crash. As a result, they are returning to what has become for some liberals an emotional and psychological norm: anger and fury, overheated and reckless charges, bitterness and pettiness. It is embodied in people like Frank Rich and Keith Olbermann and Joe Klein, but some version of this affliction extends to many others.

We’re only eight months into the Age of Obama—the period in which he promised to unite our divided country, heal our wounds, and bind up our divisions—and Obama’s critics are now routinely labeled as unpatriotic, racists, liars, mobsters, evil mongers, practitioners of un-American tactics, and more. As Obama’s failures mount up, it will only get worse. The volume will only get louder. And the charges will only get more desperate and incendiary.

It will be an ugly and sad thing to witness. Nervous breakdowns often are.

Our Sophist-in-Chief

While I realize my efforts to decode Barack Obama may turn into a never-ending task, I want to focus on another of his rhetorical habits: his ceaseless attempts to portray himself as America's philosopher-king, the person standing not only above country but above politics itself. Obama is, he would have us believe, uniquely able to transcend old, tired, and rutted debates, to think anew, and to bring a fresh, creative approach to the problems of our time. He alone inhabits the upper world.

On the stimulus package, Obama accused the bill's critics of employing "phony arguments and petty politics." Speaking to House Democrats at a retreat in Williamsburg, Virginia earlier this year, he criticized Republicans for having "come to the table with the same tired arguments and worn ideas" that helped cause the current economic crisis. And in a radio address, Obama continued to criticize Republicans for pushing what he called "tired old theories."

This charge echoed another one Obama made during the campaign, when he said, "At a moment like this, the last thing we can afford is four more years of the tired, old theory that says we should give more to billionaires and big corporations and hope that prosperity trickles down to everyone else." And this, in turn, echoes what Obama said on another occasion, when he declared that "It's not because John McCain doesn't care. It's because John McCain doesn't get it. For over two decades, he's subscribed to that old, discredited Republican philosophy –– give more and more to those with the most and hope that prosperity trickles down to everyone else."

When talking about health care, Obama framed things this way: "You got a problem with health care: tax cuts. You got problem with education: tax cuts. You got a problem with the economy: tax cuts. Poverty: tax cuts. That's not a policy, it's a dogma, a tired and cynical philosophy."

This locution is now being picked up by Obama's aides. Prior to the Summit of the Americas gathering in April, Dan Restrepo, the president's top Western Hemisphere adviser on the National Security Council, told FOX News that if a "chance encounter" with Hugo Chavez occurred, Obama's pitch would be, "Let's put the animosities behind us. Let's not have old arguments. Let's not have tired ideological arguments."

Obama has used this set-up with cultural issues as well. On gay rights, for example, he says that "though we've made progress, there are still fellow citizens –– perhaps neighbors or even family members and loved ones –– who still hold fast to worn arguments and old attitudes, who fail to see your families like their families and who would deny you the rights that most Americans take for granted."

This theme is, in fact, an all-purpose one for Obama. "America, our work will not be easy. The challenges we face require tough choices, and Democrats as well as Republicans will need to cast off the worn-out ideas and politics of the past," he said during his Convention speech. During his announcement speech, Obama took aim at "the smallness of our politics –– the ease with which we're distracted by the petty and trivial, our chronic avoidance of tough decisions, our preference for scoring cheap political points instead of rolling up our sleeves and building a working consensus to tackle big problems." And during his Inaugural Address, Obama put it this way: "On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn-out dogmas that for far too long have strangled our politics. We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things."

There are, I think, several things to say about all this. The first is that what is most tired, old, and worn out is Obama's lazy rhetorical ploy. He relies on a few stock, and by now hackneyed, phrases to substitute for a serious engagement with issues.

Second, President Obama's words reinforce the impression some of us have that his most dangerous personal characteristic is his other-worldly self-regard. He seems to believe he is unlike, and better than, any others who have come before him. He sees himself as a man of awe-inspiring intellectual honesty, a mind rinsed off of prejudice and bias. While the rest of the country is engaged in petty and trivial fights in political sand-boxes, Obama is America's playground attendant, teaching the rest of us how to act right and think right. It is all rather too much.

Third, Obama - despite his pretensions to the contrary - is a completely orthodox, doctrinaire liberal. His policies are strikingly uncreative and, if I might borrow from the Obama lexicon, tired, old, dogmatic, ideological, and discredited. Is a top-down, government-controlled, tax-and-spend approach to economics fresh, new, and interesting? As President, Obama has shown no intellectual boldness when it comes to his policies. Most of his reforms are hollow and non-existent. He has, in fact, acceded to the committee chairmen on Capitol Hill time and again. More than any president in modern times, he is deferring to barons on the Hill to steer the ship of state. Whatever that qualifies as, it is not a break with worn-out ideas and the politics of the past.

Unlike Bill Clinton and Tony Blair - both of whom intellectually transformed their parties in important ways - Obama is building a bridge to liberalism's past. His policies, if not his style, most resemble Walter Mondale's and Jimmy Carter's. It is quite a thing to witness for a man whose campaign was based on the incantation of hope and change.

Finally, Obama fashions himself as the Great Liberator - freeing us from old arguments, old creeds, and old ways. Mentioning the past is meant to evoke barely disguised contempt; it is the harbor for antediluvian prejudices. Obama alone can remake the rules and remake the world. There is something vaguely utopian and deeply un-conservative in Obama's attitude. And, I might add, deeply unwise and dangerous as well.

Barack Obama, it turns out, is not our Socrates; he is our Sophist-in-Chief. As this becomes clearer over time, more and more people will make their way up the steep and rugged ascent, out of the cave, free of the shadows, and into the sunlight.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Some hilarious reads.  

The Liberals’ Breakdown
snip

Our Sophist-in-Chief
snip

Thanks - good articles
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just saw a bumper sticker with the gay logo. Under it:

Making Clinton look honest
Making Carter look strong
Making Bush look like a genius

It's true too.

My opinions on Carter remain unchanged, but the perspective Obama has given me has greatly improved my opinions of both Clinton and Bush. Obama makes Clinton look like a fiscally responsbile pragmatic centrist and Bush look like a stoic hero with incredible foresight.

You know how people during the Clinton and Bush years always said, "It could be worse."

This is what they were referring to.

Quoted:
If BHO was 100% white he never would have made it past the Iowa Caucus.

Spot on. If he was white people wouldn't have focused on, "Oh, he's so black and charismatic!"

They'd have focused on, "This guy has a horrifying voting record, hasn't done anything in his entire life other than write two books about himself, and probably couldn't be trusted to manage a McDonald's." Both Hillary and Edwards would have slaughtered him.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#42]
In "The Lion King", everything went bad under the evil leader, Scar.  The rains didn't come, the sun didn't shine, and everything went to shit.
When the new good King , Simba, took over after getting rid of Scar, everything was wonderful again, the rains came, the sun shown, the herds come back, and etcetera.  It was magical and all the animals worshipped him.

In BH0's mind, he is the Good King.  Everything should improve by the mere fact that he is in office.  If things do not improve, it is the fault of those who do not believe and worship his lordly self.

His followers hate those who do not worship BH0 because the disbelief interferes with the good magic and thus denies them their Utopia.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I never knew you were a racist, DK-Prof.  I am disappointed in you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Like Red China, Chairman Mao everywhere you look,

Chairman Obama

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you Sir

why are you thanking yourself?

eta: nevermind, you guys have the same avatar

––––––––––––––––

this is good news.

Obvious troll account is obvious?

Just kidding. But seriously, when I see that avatar, I always forget to check the username and always assume it's NAKED-GUNMAN.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#47]

I hope he keeps talking , every evening ,during peoples favorite shows ......Sad to think if he took american idol air time they would want to impeach him but ppl for the most part dont mind him walking all over the founding principles of these United States.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

a Harvard economist on NPR was basically ridiculing him for trying to tell bankers that they need to change their "risky" behavior, and warning them that the government won't bail them out next time.  Riiiiiiight - the lessons that big banks learned from the last year is that the government WILL bail them out, especially if they are big.

I heard that bit. I was very pleased, as I always am when NPR quits carrying his water for a spell.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Why the hell does anybody listen to NPR?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why the hell does anybody listen to NPR?

Know your foe.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top