Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2002 7:23:39 PM EDT
D@mn!!
I was out surveying last weekend, when I had to clear out some poison oak.
"No problem, it doesn't bother me," I gleefully exclaimed to my father-in-law.

Well, I'm about to take a belt sander to my arms, belly, and left nipple.
While the rash isn't that bad, the itch hurts so f'ing much, it's almost erotic!!

So, what can I do to make the next week or so easier, and more importantly, what can I do to NEVER get it again?

Thanks for your help.

Paul
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
A product called Tech-Nu, it's a liquid soap that breaks down the oils from poison oak, sumak, and poison ivy.  If you wash with it within 12-18 hours of exposure you wont even get a rash.  It will stop the spread of rashes you already have and you can even pre-treat your hands and legs if you know you are going to get into the stuff.  I have only found it in Washington and Oregon, but then again, I haven't looked for it anywhere else.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#3]
TekNu is great. I have bought it in CA, so it should be available in a decent pharmacy.

It comes in a bottle with a evergreen tree picture on it IIRC.

Wash everything in it. Your body, your hair, and any clothing that might have touched the oak or you since then.

Shower/wash with it for several days and it will soon go away. It dries you up and draws the oils out, which are what causes the allergic reaction.

Good luck.

Ray
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
A big SECOND on the TecNu. The stuff works, WELL. It's like Sun Block for poison ivy. Also try Rhuli Gel, it's a clear alcohol based gel that dries the red itching areas out quite well.

Sherm
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The above is correct
Do not get hot or sweaty.
Cold showers and ice to hot,itching spots help more than oral sex.
Zone A Forte is the BEST med you can use.!!
Do NOT use topical Benadryl
cpermd
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 4:16:44 AM EDT
[#6]
How many times must I tell you people......store bought remedies are window-dressing!  Go to the doc, get the shot and prednisone.  Your problem GOES AWAY in about 36 hours.  GONE!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:00:55 AM EDT
[#7]
[url]http://www.teclabsinc.com/index.html[/url]

Good stuff.

Dave S
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:31:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Ph119, that is what I tried.  Damn Doc charged me $50. and told me it would go away in a few weeks!  Said he had no treatment to offer.  Fired the jerk a vist or two later over similar BS.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#10]
go to the doc he can give you a shot of steroids, i got poison ivy on my face last summer ,i was miserable,the shot helped the itching.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
go to the doc he can give you a shot of steroids, i got poison ivy on my face last summer ,i was miserable,the shot helped the itching.
View Quote

Or have the Doc give you some prescription hydrocortisone tablets. Your itching will be gone in 2 days.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#12]
To make sure you never get it again, always wash with soap & water immediately after exposure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top