Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2001 8:46:48 PM EDT
I need to advise a woman i know on getting a home defese pistol (her some to be devorced husband has taken a new habbit to breaking into her car, and stealing LARGE sums of money..), she is pretty small, 'bout 5'4 and very skinny, and of couse, she has smaller hands..

needs to be at least 9mm, and under 500 dollars.

we were looking at a 92fs, but online only, how big are the grips, hard to control?

Thanks,

-Green
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#1]
A 1911 model in 45acp(use the fed low recoil loads)or a 38-357 revolver.I would prefer the revolver for someone who doesnt have a whole lot of experience with autos if a revolver mis fires you just pull the trigger again.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Could you recommend a brand and model of a revolver?
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a Taurus .357 4 inch, while not as strong as a S&W or Ruger, it is cheaper, and it is probably unlikely she will shoot it apart.
If she doesn't like it kept loaded, buy a couple speed loaders to go with it.
[pistol]
My wife prefers the Buckmark over a 9mm Browning, 380 PPK, 357 Model 19 & .45 Tactical.
She knows she can put 10 shots in 3 inches in 5 seconds.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you think about a Glock 23C?

-Green
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I would reccomend a revolver. I don't think it is a great idea to put a semi-auto in the hands of an inexperienced shooter-too easy to fumble around and jam and then you are screwed. A revolver is almost always a sure-fire each time you pull the trigger. I personally like Smith & Wessons(have 4 of them)and the Model 66 .357 Magnum can be had for about $250 in my neck of the woods. With a 4" barrel this is as good a home defense pistol as you can buy-IMHO. This gun has good sights and is stainless=low maintenance and is affordable. My little brother is a Ruger nut and he likes the GP100 in the 6" Stainless variety-a pretty good affordable gun although the action is nowhere near as smooth as any of my Smith's. Of course the ultimate home defense gun is a short barreled 12 gauge pump gun loaded with 00 buckshot-anything inside of about 30 yards is DEAD with one good shot. You should see what a number 12 .33 caliber lead pellets does to a deer-hamburger city. Besides, the sound of the action slamming shut when you chamber that first round scares the hell out of most criminals and no further action is necessary.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Ruger GP-100.  If it seems too big, try the Ruger SP-101.  Ruger makes a great revolver, and one of these two ought to get a positive response from her.  Chambered for the .357, it will, of course, accept the .38 as well.
The larger GP-100 in 3" bbl. with fixed sights is probably just right.  No muss, no fuss. Weighs enough to counter the recoil a little bit.  Big enough to look like a GUN.  Small enough to like to have around or on your person.
The smaller SP-101 is dimensionally easier to carry around, but will tell you it's there in felt recoil a tad more.
I wouldn't even consider another brand in this particular case.  My confidence is that strong for the Ruger.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#7]
S&W (I know I know) 60 3" with some hot .38 loads.  Taurus 85 w/ same
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#8]
For semi auto, I would recommend Taurus Millenium series, or Kahrs.  All available in 9mm or 40.  They have small grips.  Mini Glocks are good guns, but if I'm not mistaken, their grips are designed for only 3 fingers.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replys! I'm greatful for all help, and suggestions!!

Thanks again!

-green
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I will also recomend the Rugers(Gp 100 & Sp101), both for price and reliabilty. Any .38 Spl or .357 revolver would be an excellant choice.

For several years I carried a S&W model 65, loaded with .38+P loads, as a sidearm/CCW. My 65 went 'down the road' about 1 yr ago. It was replaced by a Ruger SP101.

As far as the 92F goes, we were issued them in the Cavalry. They are very large pistols. As long as, and wider than, the GI .45's. While in the desert, sand on the exposed barrels acted like a 'doorstop' and caused malfunctions. I guess I never liked the idea of an exposed barrel for combat situations.

I think a good DAO(double-action-only) pistol like a Glock would be a better choice, if you want a semi-auto. We trained hundreds of inexperienced and female shooters with them.

They are light-weight and simple, with no external safeties to manipulate in a high stress situation. But they do have 3 internal safeties that keep them from firing as long as there is no finger pulling the trigger. As with any defensive handgun, [b]the trigger finger should be out of the trigger area until you are ready to fire[/b]. Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I would see what fits her hand confortably and opt for something with a light recoil.

I was thinking a Kahr 9mm for my lady as she has very small hands (size 6 ring finger).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top